SSD and HD RAID0 setup

zetal808

Jan 4, 2009
I'm looking to purchase a SSD Disk for OS Drive and 2 SATA HD's in RAID0 for Storage, apps, gaming etc.

What size SSD Disk would I need to install Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit?

Plan on purchasing 2 WD WD6401AALS 640GB, what hardware RAID card would you recommend?

Looking to spend under $500

Thx

Fullmetal Chocobo

Moderator<br>Distributed Computing
May 13, 2003
Do you have a backup plan? If not, RAID 0 for storage worries me when people say it. If you truly need 1.2TB of storage, with your budget, I'd look at getting 3 640's and a decent RAID 5 capable controller. Plus it will be expandable with more drives to the RAID array when your storage requirements grow.

zetal808

Jan 4, 2009
I usually burn everything to DVD's and keep in a binder. Id perfer RAID0 for the performance increase. I have a nforce board with various lvl RAID capablities, but im looking for PCI-E card and not sure which to get.

Blain

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The Intel X25-E alone will run you over $500.

* If you're not going to use it, then maybe install a VelociRaptor for your OS drive.
* The 640GB "Black" drives are nice, but if you're building a RAID array, go with the WD RE3 versions.
They are designed to operate with RAID controllers and have features for RAID that the "Black" & "Blue" WD drives don't.

Fullmetal Chocobo

Moderator<br>Distributed Computing
May 13, 2003
Originally posted by: zetal808
I usually burn everything to DVD's and keep in a binder. Id perfer RAID0 for the performance increase. I have a nforce board with various lvl RAID capablities, but im looking for PCI-E card and not sure which to get.

Definitely check out Areca. Their performance is great, but you pay for it. But you should be able to find a card within your price range without a problem. Just depends on how many ports you want.

Blain

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Fullmetal Chocobo
Originally posted by: zetal808

Definitely check out Areca. Their performance is great...
It seems that the ARC-1220 is what all the cool kids are running these days. :thumbsup::laugh: