Squatting with Bowed Lower Legs

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
The lower part of my legs is a little bowed legged. I'm thinking that this is causing issues with my squats. When I squat moderate to heavy weight, when I get to my last 2 reps, I feel mostly in the outer side tendon that connects my hamstring behind the knee in both legs and it feels like most of the load is distributed in that part of my legs and I'm wondering if this is due to being bowed legged? I can't seem to get a solid pushing force from the floor when I squat and I have a hard time finding a stance where I can get a solid feel where I can push from the floor most efficiently. I go down a little below parallel. So should I stop doing squats because I'm bowed legged or is there a special safe way to squat for those who are bowed legged?

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
I'm a little bowlegged.
It should not be an obstacle for squats.

I'm going to guess your form is off. Angle of your feet....spacing....overall movement is off.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
You might also need to figure out how to push outward with your legs to prevent your knees from caving in.

I'd start with some basics, and also single leg work to strengthen and set proper positioning
- one legged squats with a resistance band (look up RNT split squat on youtube)
- one legged reverse lunges with resistance band (look up RNT reverse lunge on youtube)
- one legged bulgarian split squats
- one legged negative squats on box (or weighted box step ups)
- weighted cossack squats
- weighted curtsy lunges
- one legged romanian deadlifts (hold DB or KBs at side)

Mix in or progress to two legged squats
- goblet squat
- back squat
- front squat

You probably need to figure out your stance more. You may need to go more narrow with your feet (more of shoulder spacing than hip spacing) and angle your feet out more and really think about actively driving your knees out while pressing up through your legs. Think about actively driving your feet into the ground like they're screws you're trying to tighten, which should get you tighter through your butt and quads. Focus on control, doing things like tempo squats, pause squats, etc and not on loading more weight. Sort out if you need to track your knees further over your feet, or if you do better sitting further back into it. Check your ankle flexibility, which is the key for a lot of squat power.

nitsuj3580

Platinum Member
Jun 13, 2001
How is your hip flexibility? I really had to work on that before I could do a smooth squat movement from start to finish. I am also a little bowlegged.

Reactions: pauldun170