Spybot S&D: Record for most spyware found?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AMCRambler

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: silverpig
Originally posted by: JustAnAverageGuy
Originally posted by: silverpig
Oh god I have you all beat.

I went to a friend's house to fix his computer. He, his daughter, son, and wife all like to install freeware/shareware/trialware screensavers, gator, etc etc. It got to the point where his computer would crash on a 20 minute startup because it was trying to load so much stuff on boot. The first thing I did once I could do anything with the computer was to run spybot.

It had over 3100 things on it. It took spybot nearly an hour to detect and delete them all. I set it to run on the next boot and rebooted. It found another 80 or so programs to get.

So then I ran norton antivirus. He had about 20 viruses.

I then tried a disk defrag, and the windows defrag utility crapped out. It basically said: "dude, you're on your own" as the hard drive had something like 90% fragmentation. I had to download a 3rd party utility and let it run overnight to fix it. He said it was still running in the morning (~10 hrs after I had started it).

It was a P2 350 with 64 MB ram running win98 IIRC. He hadn't done any of the normal maintenance to it since he had bought it.

:Q

That post made me laugh.

Then after it all sunk in, I almost felt like crying.

Still laughing though.

And that's the short version. You should have seen how much stuff came up in the win98 version of the task manager. You'd sit at a blank desktop for about 10 minutes while all that crap tried loading. He knew about ctrl alt del and said if he killed <list of 7 or 8 things here> then it would get into windows about 1/3 of the time. After that EVERYTHING ran slow. I can't even remember half the stuff that was wrong with it because it was so traumatizing.

Winnar!

sharkeeper

Lifer
Jan 13, 2001
Ad Aware is better than spybot simply because spybot doesn't update nearly often enough. Adaware updates almost daily like most A/V programs do. Eventually, the A/V programs will have spyware detection integrated and do real time protection, etc.

Cheers!

Adul

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
danny.tangtam.com
Originally posted by: shuttleteam
Ad Aware is better than spybot simply because spybot doesn't update nearly often enough. Adaware updates almost daily like most A/V programs do. Eventually, the A/V programs will have spyware detection integrated and do real time protection, etc.

Cheers!

nortan does that to a point already.

I still run adaware though.

sharkeeper

Lifer
Jan 13, 2001
My major gripe with Ad Aware: alert.wav! I HATE that damn sound. There is nothing worse than scanning a system connected to a multi kilowatt playback system and you forget that you have your levels way up there from a previous session. BAM! Like getting hit by a bus full of old farts with gas...

Then there's laptops with crappy speakers. It actually sounds like a fart on those. People have actually asked what that was when they hear it over the phone. Did you fart? bwahahaha

Delete that sound or replace it with something else. It's in the same folder as the program.

Cheers!

dabuddha

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
My uncle had well over 3000 different items. Then after cleaning up, the next day he had over 1000. Don't ask me wtf he does with his pc. I gave up on it.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
We have people bring their laptops to my office all the time for this. We usually run AdAware and SPybot. I've seen around 400 as the top normally. ANd it's almost all from when people travel on business and hook up through a hotel's high speed line. They just get bombarded with crap.

GT1999

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I work as an RCC on campus and I seem to hit 600 on a regular basis, but that is with AdAware.