Spy Shots: 600HP '05 VW Phaeton R60, '04 Acura TL

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
Jesus H Christ that Phaeton is beautiful...

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
Originally posted by: bigrash
$150,000? man that's expensive for a VW

See its opinions like this that need to die... VW is not the car company of old.... Accept the new.

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: aphex

See its opinions like this that need to die... VW is not the car company of old.... Accept the new.

such as poor reliability? Their older cars (Mk1 Siroccos/Golfs/Jettas) and aircooled Beetles all had stellar relability.

TLfromAI

Jun 22, 2002

Typical.
rolleye.gif

Shantanu

Banned
Feb 6, 2001
$150K? Looks like Volkswagen hasn't learned from past punishment. It'll be a mega flop just like the original Phaeton.

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Shantanu
$150K? Looks like Volkswagen hasn't learned from past punishment. It'll be a mega flop just like the original Phaeton.

WHOA!...I agree with you.

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000

How is the Phaeton a flop? Do you know the European sales numbers? Just because it isn't sold in the US, doesn't mean it's a flop.

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
Damn, that thing looks hot, but it also doesn't look very German anymore...looks almost like it came out of Japan. Not that that's a bad thing. :)

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
i dont think anyone in their right mind would pay 150k for that car

especially when you can get a porsche GT2 ?

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: GTaudiophile

How is the Phaeton a flop? Do you know the European sales numbers? Just because it isn't sold in the US, doesn't mean it's a flop.

From what I have read, the Europoean sales numbers for the Phateon are pretty dissappointing. Now I can't back that up wiht hard numbers so take it for what it is worth.

Also, in the US market, where the consumers care about image and brand names, it won't do to well. Add the fact that VW has horrible customer service and given their current reliability...I don't see the Phateon doing to well.

Also, just thought of this now, I doubt most Americans would want to buy a $60k car that shares the same floor with a $15k car. Isn't that why in the States, the Lexus dealers are always seperate from the Toyota ones (and same goes for Acura and Infiniti). Over here in Toronto, a lot of times, Infinti/Nissan are in the same showroom (same goes for Lexus/Toy and Acura/Honda).

N8Magic

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Originally posted by: mAdD INDIAN

such as poor reliability? Their older cars (Mk1 Siroccos/Golfs/Jettas) and aircooled Beetles all had stellar relability.

Let's beat the window regulator and coil pack issues to death some more, shall we?

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: N8Magic

Let's beat the window regulator and coil pack issues to death some more, shall we?

You can't man. In this day and age, you cannot expect those things to fail on a brand new $20k car. And even if we do accept it, what about the issue of hte dealers being retards and not providing full satisfaction to the customers.

That's why I like Ford, sure everyone hates on them for their recalls, but atleast Ford ADMITS to its mistakes and provides hassle-free service to get those parts replaced (for free!).

Oh, and I'm not hating on VW. I'd love to see them do well. I loved them when I was younger - I still want to own an aircooled rear engine Beetle, and I wouldn't mind driving a Sirocco ( I saw on at the auto-x...did freaking awesome..and the car was old and tired..330k km on the original engine/body).

Shantanu

Banned
Feb 6, 2001
Most Americans associate Volkswagen with POS Microbuses and Beetles that hippies drove back in the 1960's. Sure, Volkswagen has come a long way since then, but they haven't come that far. That kind of image is hard to shake. When you're talking about a $150,000 vehicle, image is extremely important.

It doesn't help that the car is exceptionally mediocre for the price. Other than the 600hp, I don't understand what the $150,000 buys. Like someone said, it looks like a Passat with a body kit.

N8Magic

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000

It doesn't help that the car is exceptionally mediocre for the price. Other than the 600hp, I don't understand what the $150,000 buys. Like someone said, it looks like a Passat with a body kit.
Link

Read it and wonder why American automakers could never build a car of that calibre.

Turkish

Lifer
May 26, 2003
Originally posted by: GTaudiophile

From what I have read, the Europoean sales numbers for the Phateon are pretty dissappointing. Now I can't back that up wiht hard numbers so take it for what it is worth.

Also, in the US market, where the consumers care about image and brand names, it won't do to well. Add the fact that VW has horrible customer service and given their current reliability...I don't see the Phateon doing to well.

Also, just thought of this now, I doubt most Americans would want to buy a $60k car that shares the same floor with a $15k car. Isn't that why in the States, the Lexus dealers are always seperate from the Toyota ones (and same goes for Acura and Infiniti). Over here in Toronto, a lot of times, Infinti/Nissan are in the same showroom (same goes for Lexus/Toy and Acura/Honda).

Well, the point you are missing is this car is not intended to be sold to the customers of Ferrari. It's designed and produced for wealthy wife, husband and 2 kids families so people can enjoy a sporty large family sedan while the dad can go 0 to 60 mph under 5 seconds... And as far as VW's sales in Europe, they are the biggest in Europe, everywhere is full of VWs... people like it over there and the car is designed for European market, not U.S. .

btw, that whole paragraph must have grammer mistakes, but i am too sleepy.

Turkish

Lifer
May 26, 2003
Originally posted by: isekii
i dont think anyone in their right mind would pay 150k for that car

especially when you can get a porsche GT2 ?

Umm I don't think you can have that luxury in a GT2 .. look in VW Vortex pics at the end.. u'll see what I mean.