Spy Flies Spotted at D.C. / N.Y. Political Events

effowe

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2004
Source

Ever wish you could be a "fly on the wall" at a closed-door meeting or to hear a foe?s secrets?

Enter the robobug.

Witnesses are buzzing about recent sightings of robotic-looking dragonflies seen at Washington and New York political events. And U.S. government and private agencies have admitted to striving for the spy technology, The Washington Post reports, though no one has confessed to deploying the bugged bugs.

"They looked kind of like dragonflies or little helicopters," New York college student Vanessa Alarcon said after seeing the dragonflies while working at an antiwar rally in Lafayette Square last month.

The U.S. has used robotic fliers as early as World War II, but their numbers were fewer and the technology more primitive.

"I'd never seen anything like it in my life," Washington lawyer Bernard Crane said. "They were large for dragonflies. I thought, 'Is that mechanical, or is that alive?'"

Some federally funded groups are implanting live insects with computer chips in hopes using spyware and remote controls to manipulate their flight.

The robobugs could be used to track suspects, guide missiles or find trapped survivors in collapsed buildings.

Pretty crazy how small technology is getting these days, what do you guys think of the implications of these things following people around?

Edit: Longer story with link to video..

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
slowly and surely, we're getting there... the death of privacy, the total loss of honour.

jandrews

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2007
LMAO I love how scientists are so blind or unwilling to state the true uses of products. We can create these nuclear bombs just in case aliens attack, no other purpose. These flies will be used to find trapped survivors...and no of course not for spying.

James Bond

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2005
The one in the picture is like 1/2 inch, but the one in the video is like 2 feet? What's that about?

yowolabi

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
Originally posted by: maddogchen
robobug meet my shoe. Wham!

My first thought was also about the consequences of destroying on of these. If it's disguised as a dragonfly, can you get away with killing it and claiming you believed the disguise?

effowe

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2004
Originally posted by: Tizyler
The one in the picture is like 1/2 inch, but the one in the video is like 2 feet? What's that about?

Different models made by different teams. I think the really small one was made by MIT students, and it requires a tether for power, whereas the big bird one was made by some hobbyists and didn't need a tether for power. Whatever the people are talking about in the article are not pictured.

RichUK

Lifer
Feb 14, 2005
All they need to do now is mount some sort of poisoned tip on that hting ? roboplague.

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
Originally posted by: jandrews
LMAO I love how scientists are so blind or unwilling to state the true uses of products. We can create these nuclear bombs just in case aliens attack, no other purpose. These flies will be used to find trapped survivors...and no of course not for spying.

If I wanted public funding for a cool project of course I'd say the technology would be used to find lost puppies or feed hungry kitties. For more cash I'd advertise to the defense dept. that the tech could be an innovative torture method or a way to scramble someones' brain from a distance.

Savij

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
Why is this news? Someone started a rumor that they saw a robotic looking bug?! "Oh noes!! Teh usa is eeevil! He sends bugs to spy on us." Maybe if there were some details or evidence to this story. I hate the invasion of privacy as much as the next guy, but this isn't journalism. It's a rumor mill, it?s a child?s fantasy.