Sprinkler System Question on Power (120/24v) Transformer

dman

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
I noticed my sprinkler pump wasn't working today so I began investigating. The Pump Relay works if I manually push in the contacts but it didn't appear to be getting any volts from the Sprinkler Timer to turn it on/off, so, I opened up the timer and can trace 120VAC to the Transformer when it's switched on (and 0vac when switched off, so, I Don't think it's the switch or relay). When switched on, the output of the transformer (24v) never turns on (0v).

[update / edit] Double checked the transformer this morning and must not have been making a good contact with the multimeter on Sun. Now it tests outputs 24v just fine so I need to go further down the line and see what the problem is. [/edit]

IT's $33 to replace the transformer via KRAIN. I might see how much a new timer box is, as I'm pretty sure they aren't much more than that at Home DEpot, but, before I Do that, does anyone know if you can replace a fuse in a Transformer or is it a non-maint item?

PArt # E1211027
TRNSFRMR 110V IN 24V OUT 30VA

http://www.krain.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...up_id=1&CFID=33757456&CFTOKEN=69904592

Same unit / 1114 Timer

Thanks in advance.

[Edit] So, just an update I fogot to make... in case you found this via search... this problem had nothing to do with the transformer... there happens to be on most modern sprinkler systems a rain gauge which disable the system if enough water is detected recently... that is what it was. D'oh! Fortunately I found out before spending any $$$. [/edit]

bctbct

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2005
I was going to offer help, then I figured out you knew so much more about this that I. :D

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Take it apart. If it has a fuse, it can be replaced. If not, you have an open secondary and the transformer is toast.

dman

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
Originally posted by: skyking
Take it apart. If it has a fuse, it can be replaced. If not, you have an open secondary and the transformer is toast.

I've done some more research (on google), and while I wasn't able to find much, it appears as though the fuses are one time / not intended to be replaced. That said, I may still take it apart just to see / for the heck of it (no loss). Thanks for the bumps.