spray painting dryer so it matches with the washer...

alphatarget1

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
Ok, I went appliance shopping today at the appliance store and they had a Maytag Atlantis washer and dryer (same model). The only problem is the dryer is beige color and the washer is white. Have any of you tried spray painting your appliance so they look the same?

MJinZ

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2009
You should hide them in the basement like most normal people so you don't have to see them.

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Ok, I went appliance shopping today at the appliance store and they had a Maytag Atlantis washer and dryer (same model). The only problem is the dryer is beige color and the washer is white. Have any of you tried spray painting your appliance so they look the same?

I've heard of people spray painting some appliances. I think they might make specific paint for metal/appliances/heat.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
If you're gonna go through the trouble to paint them, you might as well get creative. Like maybe flowers and bumble bees and girls in pretty dresses and gang signs.

After all, they're Maytags!

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
is it really going to bug you to have a non color matching washer-dryer set? how much time are you going to spend in that room?

besides it probably won't be cheap to paint those things, don't they use some hard baked porcelain or enamel paint that not much sticks to?

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
would take many coats to match the hardness/thickness of the original. they might make appliance paint but i bet youd' still have to go through quite a few coats.

dfuze

Lifer
Feb 15, 2006
The amount of prep work would be rediculous, not to mention being worried getting paint into parts where it doesn't belong.

Ksyder

Golden Member
Feb 14, 2006
Edit- Sorry I missed the part where you said you weren't going to bother with doing that, OP, but I'll leave what I put below.

It would likely prove to be a mistake trying to spray paint one of those. That is surely some baked enamel on there and you'd have to rough it with some sandpaper to get the spray enamel to remotely stick I would guess. Not to mention the atomization that comes out of the spray guns at the factory is much finer than what comes out of a can of spray paint. You'd probably have fish eyes and uneven coats which are usually sanded down with progressively finer sandpaper and then recoated and then sanded again, this would be your best chance of doing a nice job and it would be extremely time consuming and would still in no way look as good as the factory done paint job.

That is my feeling on the matter, at least, I'm sure it's possible to do but not worth the hassle.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
I've heard of people spray painting some appliances. I think they might make specific paint for metal/appliances/heat.

They do. I imagine Rustoleum or something similar would work. It will be a pain in the butt though because you'll have to take the panels off to get even coverage. Plus, you'll loose that shiny look.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Its pretty easy to do. My brother refurbs used appliances and always has to retouch or repaint .You need some 120 grit sandpaper to roughen the surface and a can of epoxy paint. You can use the spray paint if you like. That is the only thing that will stick and not come off if you rub it or scratch a nail across it. Use masking tape to tape off the areas you don't want to overspray . Use newspaper and tape for large areas like the timer.

This is what he uses:
http://www.krylon.com/products/appliance_epoxy_paints/

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Recommend that you repaint the washer. The dryer generates heat and that could affect the ability of the paint to stay uniform.

Bryophyte

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
There is no such thing as a standard 'white' so even if you paint it, they won't match. You'd need to paint them both.

thaugen

May 31, 2000
Post #13 ^ except: first get the unit in a well-ventilated place near the laundry area so the new paint won't get scratched moving it through several doors. At Lowes/HomeDepot/OSH you can find the epoxy appliance spray cans. (About$5) Buy ONE, take it home, spray an inconspicuous spot on the WASHER, let it dry, and compare the new color/texture to the factory white. If it matches enough to suit you, then pick up two more cans, a cheap plastic drop cloth, a roll of blue masking tape and a quart of odorless mineral spirits or whatever solvent they recommend for "wax and grease remover." Using clean non-linty rags and rubber gloves, wet one in remover, rub down one side, then wipe very thoroughly with the dry rag. Proceed the same way with the other sides. Make sure all the solvent is evaporated, then mask off all trim and stuff you don't want flecks of paint on. Spray the first coat very lightly, you'll just be putting a uniform layer of paint flecks on, not a smooth coat. Let this harden a few minutes, then put on another slightly thicker coat, but the beige will probably still show through. Let it harden a few minutes, then more thin coats until all the beige disappears. Let dry, inspect under good light and touch up areas where the color/sheen is not right. Wait two hours, pull off masking, carefully put it in place.

Notice I didn't say to sand before painting, a good practice but not necessary in my experience with epoxy appliance paint. I painted a refrigerator in a rental unit a while back and the paint is still good. Easy to touch up, just clean well and re-spray the affected area. On another refer, a scratch touchup lasted ten years.

Epoxy stinks like hell and will make you sick, so either get a $35 respirator at paint store or set up an exhaust fan nearby and paint downwind.

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
no sense in tryin to even out the mixed up world
just go with it
someone notices???
tell em to get the fuck out

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
If you were going to do this, instead of Painting one to match the other, I think Painting both would be the only way to get a true match.