Spray painting a monitor ?

UnatcoAgent

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
I have a beige viewsonic CRT 17" I would like to make black.

Now before I go looking for the proper paints (this will be a summer project anyway), I want to do this without taking the monitor apart, since I don't know what the hell I am doing there.

If I seal the screen / buttons / vents / ports very well, is there any problem with spraying it black ?

Ideas ?

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
As long as you mask it off, there should be no problems. Not sure how you're going to manage to paint the vents, though.

It's easy enough to take the rear casing of a monitor off, it usually doesen't interfere with any internals.That might make it easier to paint the grille(s).

Make sure you clean the monitor well first. Buy some rubbing alcohol and give it a good going over with some napkins.

Buy paint meant for plastics.

Ness

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2002
bad idea waiting to happen. Just take it apart. It's usually not as hard as it looks.

MDE

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I'd take off at least the back part. Krylon Fusion works well (made for plastic too).

bmacd

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
what about the risk of electric shock by opening it up? Is there an amount of time you should wait after unplugging it before opening the case ?

-=bmacd=-

amdskip

Lifer
Jan 6, 2001
Originally posted by: bmacd
what about the risk of electric shock by opening it up? Is there an amount of time you should wait after unplugging it before opening the case ?

-=bmacd=-
Let it sit for a week and don't touch nothin on the inside :p

Its not possible to paint it without removing the plastic.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: amdskip
Originally posted by: bmacd

-=bmacd=-
Let it sit for a week and don't touch nothin on the inside :p

Its not possible to paint it without removing the plastic.
That isn't going to do anything.

Just don't touch anything inside, you'll be fine.. lol

nan0bug

Banned
Apr 22, 2003
I spraypainted a monitor without taking the casing off. It came out fine, no worries about the vents.

The one thing I would reccomend though is to do it RIGHT. Don't rush through it or skimp on primer or clearcoat or you will have spots of beige poking through in no time.

SethK28

Golden Member
Feb 19, 2003
I sprayed mine without taking it apart, Im sure some paint got inside of it but it still works and I painted it 2 years ago

bsmithy

Oct 24, 2003
Originally posted by: nan0bug
I spraypainted a monitor without taking the casing off. It came out fine, no worries about the vents.

The one thing I would reccomend though is to do it RIGHT. Don't rush through it or skimp on primer or clearcoat or you will have spots of beige poking through in no time.

or just use vinyl dye :p

UnatcoAgent

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
Alright thanks a million guys, I'll be sure to document it with some pics when the time comes.

UnatcoAgent

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
Reading over a monitor repair FAQ I might just take it to my local shop and get them to dissasemble it for me / de-charge it or whatever. Not worth risking my neck over an old viewsonic.

That or I'll just spray it still in one piece, which is most likely, that Vinyl die stuff looks great.