Spotify being sued again but this time its for $1.6 billion

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Spotify is no stranger to legal issues but this time some big guns have come together bringing the value of this latest one to $1.6 billion dollars. Spotify will let you listen to anything with a free account using ads so they must be making money at it yet haven't been paying any royalties for the music they offer. I wonder how they will fare this time around?

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture...allegedly-ignoring-songwriters-rights-n834146

Feb 4, 2009
Yeah I've never understood how these businesses are allowed to operate. This includes YouTube they take content that is not theirs, broadcast it and make money from the ad revenue
While if you or I copy a DVD or music album and do the exact same thing we can be looking at tens of thousands in fines, per incident

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Yeah I've never understood how these businesses are allowed to operate. This includes YouTube they take content that is not theirs, broadcast it and make money from the ad revenue
While if you or I copy a DVD or music album and do the exact same thing we can be looking at tens of thousands in fines, per incident
I'm sure the argument is that the artists are gaining exposure.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Personally I love spotify and hope that they're able to weather this storm. I get to listen to brand new albums for free if I'm willing to tolerate a few ads every couple of songs while I listen which I'm okay with. Even though I'm hearing ads at least I'm able to determine my musical content.