Spoof hardware

charlie-gradus

Mar 23, 2019
Not sure this is the right forum to ask, but - is there a way to prevent programs such as Aida64, HWInfo ant the likes - from having access to hardware information? (Windows Device Manager included)

Thanks

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Uninstall them? :p

I mean HWiNFO's product description states:
From a quick overview unfolding into the depth of all hardware components. Always up-to date supporting latest technologies and standards.

That's what they're designed to do.

charlie-gradus

Mar 23, 2019
Uninstall them? :p

I mean HWiNFO's product description states:

That's what they're designed to do.

Right, let's rephrase:

can I prevent users from peeking at the hardware in their boxes through programs such as HWInfo, AIda64, and even the Windows Device Manager?

Executive Summary: I don't want users to get detailed information about the hardware in their PCs.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Let me suggest, that if you're trying to do "Evil PHB" stuff, the easiest way around it would be to use Enterprise versions of Windows, connect them to a Domain, and then use Group/Domain Policies, to restrict what applications are allowed to be used on the workstation, eg. whitelist only "Allowed" apps. Then they'll never even be able to run HWInfo64 in the first place.

Reactions: mxnerd

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Yeah. Do what VL has suggested.

If the machine is not in a domain, you probably need some locking software to prevent user running those programs. Don't know if put them in guest account's privilege is enough.

==

Tested. Guest can't run portable HWInfo even if downloaded from internet. It will require administrator rights. But can't prevent user viewing device manager's info.

==

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/70002-enable-disable-control-panel-settings-windows-10-a.html

Not tested.

Last edited: