Question Split power cut or voltage fluctuation - question

Status
Not open for further replies.

nj78

Dec 27, 2021
Hi. Hi. My mtboard: Aorus Z490 Pro Gaming
psu: Seasonic Tx-850 Prime Titanium

When I plug the cables in and out, turn off the power via the PS button or when flipping my power strip switch my pc reboot. But my question is. What if i will be have voltage fluctuation, pc react the same, should reboot or it will shutdown? Thanks

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Whether your PC reboots on power loss/return or just shuts off, depends on a motherboard bios setting.

If there is an AC mains power fluctuation, the power supply can handle that to some extent because it has a full range input, probably spec'd to handle down to 90VAC and at lesser loads may go even lower.

If the PSU's output can't stay in spec it should lock out and need power disconnected (or flip the switch) then wait a few minutes and reconnect power, at which point your motherboard bios setting will determine whether the PC boots up or remains off.

You should not be plugging in cables, turning power off with the PSU rear switch, or flipping your power strip switch while the PC is running. It should be shut off first through the OS (or at least the case front power switch button to it) for best/safest results. Otherwise data corruption can occur.

Last edited:

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Also if the voltage is out of spec for less than ~30ms, chances are nothing happens because that‘s the Hold-Up time the Power Supply can give, which is the time the Power Supply can continue powering equipment even when supplied input power is either out of spec, or absent. That sounds like very little time, but it goes a lot way to keeping your PC running even if there’s a quick blip, or flicker in power.

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
A good UPS will help keep your computer running long enough to shutdown if you lose power or raise/lower power for spikes or brownouts.

nj78

Dec 27, 2021
I have question. When i normally shutdown pc,monitor goes black ( no flicker ) and pc goes off.

Week ago i launched Metro Exodus and in cinematic advertisement part ( 30 fps ) pc just shutdown. And then i remember after maybe 10 seconds monitor just flickered once. I pressed only power button, rebooted again and its fine again. Happened once and i cant reproduce. Happened after launching game on intro advertisements part. I tried to reproduce issue by launching game 400 times and no shutdowns. It happened once.

My question is. It was pc issue or maybe voltage fluctuation?

Laptop and router dont notice anything. I had laptop connected to other power cord but laptop doesnt go to battery mode in this moment ( i checked event logs ). Also router plugged to wall dont disconnect internet. Meanwhile laptop was on power ( no battery mode ) ,router on and ceiling lamps was on when i fast flip the switch on.

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
If you system just shuts down while launching a game with no error, blue screen, or warning beeps, it could be either the power in your residence, or your power supply. Is this a new PC Build? What are the specs?

nj78

Dec 27, 2021
10850K stock 4800mhz stock Kraken X73 good temps
2x16 GB DDR4 GSKILL 3000mhz XMP
Seasonic Tx-850 Ultra Titanium
Gigabyte Rtx 3090 Gaming OC
Aorus Z490 Pro Gaming
1 TB SSD

It was pc issue or maybe voltage fluctuation?

Laptop and router dont notice anything. I had laptop connected to other power cord but laptop doesnt go to battery mode in this moment ( i checked event logs ). Also router plugged to wall dont disconnect internet. Meanwhile laptop was on power ( no battery mode ) ,router on and ceiling lamps was on when i fast flip the switch on.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Posting the same thing over and over in forum after forum like a troll?

Why yes, YES YOU ARE. How many other Anandtech forum accounts do you have?

Seasonic PRIME TX-850 with Rtx 3090 shutdown once. : metro_exodus

[shakes head] What a waste. [/shakes head]

Last edited:

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
nj78: You have (way more) than enough threads about your Seasonic power supply.
If you still need help, contact Seasonic technical support here.

If you still feel the need to ask more questions about your power supply, you can do so in your first thread here.
Please do not create any additional threads about it here. Locked.

AT Mod Usandthem

Status
Not open for further replies.