Spit and Bailing Wire: The Custom Deterioriation of my Stacker 830

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I started on my Skylake build back in late June, 2016, with modding and preparation of an old black anodized-aluminum CoolerMaster Stacker 830 I had in storage:

CM Stacker 830

I'd post some pictures -- I'm really proud of what I did with this old case -- purchased some 9 years ago for $130 from a friend who wanted to get rid of a spare.

I could post my own pictures, but I have other things to do.

Anyway! The right side-panel has an inner door or plastic fan-frame that will hold 4x 140mm. It has spring-loaded pin hinges, opposite plastic latches that old it in place. So I broke one of those latches, designed to act like a spring with a catch, and restored some of its functionality. Because of the case-configuration, I cannot simply let the door swing open to get into the case; the TR LG-Macho cooler accordion duct interferes with the plastic edge of the door. So you have to remove and replace the fan-frame-door, locking it in place. No big deal.

Then, the other day, I had the front door of the computer open to access the ODD and hot-swap bays. Clumsily, I banged my knee on the open door and broke the (plastic!) pins that hold it in place and on which the door pivots when it is opened. Plastic! on an aluminum door!

So somebody posted a recent thread about "magnets in computer cases." I am so happy that door has magnets -- two on either side -- which secure it when closed. Those damn magnets are powerful enough to just hold the door in place.

Now I'm thinking that I shouldn't even bother replacing or repairing the door's hinge-pins.

So what else am I going to break before I recycle this beautiful case?

ClockHound

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
Guess you've already broken the secret CM NDA. Not that you can tell anyone.

Also going to speculate that you might break a sweat when you do recycle that beast.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Guess you've already broken the secret CM NDA. Not that you can tell anyone.

Also going to speculate that you might break a sweat when you do recycle that beast.

I've examined the broken door pins. They are part of a springloaded plastic piece that slides in a groove, so you could retract one door pin to remove the door.

Some years ago, I was at the electronics warehouse store in the town's industrial zone, which I've visited several times since. I acquired what looks like metal barrel standoffs. These make an interference fit with the groove holding the springloaded plastic sliders. If I can get those standoffs or metal barrels so they are maybe a half-inch longer, then I can fit and cut them, taper the ends so they fit in the recesses just so, and mod a spring from old heatpipe cooler hardware. The spring would go on the bottom pin, and the top pin would lock into its hole after pushing down on the whole assembly.

But it's just as easy to leave it alone and let the magnets hold it all together. It's still solid!