'Spiderman: No Way Home' trailer

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011

I've been going off the MCU for a while now (though I plan to watch Infinity War / Endgame at some point despite knowing pretty much everything that happens already), but the plot that comes up in this trailer is just mind-bogglingly stupid. Yeah, I can see a kid/young man wanting to 'turn back time' (CHERRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!) because consequences are awkward, I haven't seen much of Dr Strange yet but I assume he's not a stoner wizard who thinks, "ROFL LOL THAT'LL BE A GREAT IDEA!" or anywhere between that and, "oh, let's do this incredibly stupid thing since you asked so nicely and we're buds and all", and the sidekick just said, "DON'T DO THIS FUCKING THING YOU FUCKING DUMBASS", but yeah let's do it.

I mean if you switched Spiderman for Deadpool and the latter tricks Strange into doing it while slipping him some mind-altering substances, then maybe you've got a plausible plot there. Or Spiderman teams up with Shazam and two adolescent dumbasses both thought the (trailer) idea was a good one without any mind-altering substances being involved. Wait, Shazam is DC isn't he.

Meanwhile this is going on in the same universe that those Accords were signed by the UN ('Civil War'), wouldn't the consequences of this insanely stupid idea be that Strange and Spiderman get relegated down to a level of superhero intervention right around not being allowed to run with scissors, anywhere on the planet, ever again?

Reactions: Captante

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
My wife was watching Homecoming months ago and it just looked so bad. I don't like Marvel movies much anymore, especially one they have rebooted at least 3x now, but I just realized the new Spiderman movies are simply not for me. They are clearly geared toward little kids at this point. I enjoy kids movies too and just watched Paw Patrol with my 6 year old, but things like Spiderman just don't do anything for me anymore.

EDIT:

That said, I just watched the 3 minute "teaser" (not a teaser, full trailer obviously) and think it looks pretty decent.

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
Spider-man, not Spiderman. :rolleyes:

Trailer looked decent and will definitely watch. Not a fan of the current cast, Toby all the way.

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
The only thing Strange seems to do in the movies other than make portals is to muck around with time. This seems to be within character for him.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004

I've been going off the MCU for a while now (though I plan to watch Infinity War / Endgame at some point despite knowing pretty much everything that happens already), but the plot that comes up in this trailer is just mind-bogglingly stupid. Yeah, I can see a kid/young man wanting to 'turn back time' (CHERRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!) because consequences are awkward, I haven't seen much of Dr Strange yet but I assume he's not a stoner wizard who thinks, "ROFL LOL THAT'LL BE A GREAT IDEA!" or anywhere between that and, "oh, let's do this incredibly stupid thing since you asked so nicely and we're buds and all", and the sidekick just said, "DON'T DO THIS FUCKING THING YOU FUCKING DUMBASS", but yeah let's do it.

I mean if you switched Spiderman for Deadpool and the latter tricks Strange into doing it while slipping him some mind-altering substances, then maybe you've got a plausible plot there. Or Spiderman teams up with Shazam and two adolescent dumbasses both thought the (trailer) idea was a good one without any mind-altering substances being involved. Wait, Shazam is DC isn't he.

Meanwhile this is going on in the same universe that those Accords were signed by the UN ('Civil War'), wouldn't the consequences of this insanely stupid idea be that Strange and Spiderman get relegated down to a level of superhero intervention right around not being allowed to run with scissors, anywhere on the planet, ever again?
Marvel on occasion has been misleading with their trailers upto and including removing or adding scenes and affects that do or do not show up in the movie (
for example the trailer showed Thor with 2 eyes during a scene in the movie which was after his sister removed his right eye
).

Dr Strange's character in the trailer seemed off to me in the way you described, which could just be a poor character/directing decision or actually part of the plot - i.e. there is something wrong with him that will be adequately covered by the plot. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt as I don't think there's been an MCU movie that wasn't at the least enjoyable to watch.
My wife was watching Homecoming months ago and it just looked so bad. I don't like Marvel movies much anymore, especially one they have rebooted at least 3x now, but I just realized the new Spiderman movies are simply not for me. They are clearly geared toward little kids at this point. I enjoy kids movies too and just watched Paw Patrol with my 6 year old, but things like Spiderman just don't do anything for me anymore.

EDIT:

That said, I just watched the 3 minute "teaser" (not a teaser, full trailer obviously) and think it looks pretty decent.
I actually like Homecoming quite a bit. Peter is just a kid and it takes him a good part of the movie to mature. Michael Keaton was a good villain and the movie had one of the better twists on the hero meeting the villain trope imho.

Reactions: Captante

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Besides, Spider-Man is OLD NEWS. Bring me pictures of OMNI-MAN!

JNbtElh.jpg

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Marvel on occasion has been misleading with their trailers upto and including removing or adding scenes and affects that do or do not show up in the movie (
for example the trailer showed Thor with 2 eyes during a scene in the movie which was after his sister removed his right eye
).

Dr Strange's character in the trailer seemed off to me in the way you described, which could just be a poor character/directing decision or actually part of the plot - i.e. there is something wrong with him that will be adequately covered by the plot. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt as I don't think there's been an MCU movie that wasn't at the least enjoyable to watch.

I actually like Homecoming quite a bit. Peter is just a kid and it takes him a good part of the movie to mature. Michael Keaton was a good villain and the movie had one of the better twists on the hero meeting the villain trope imho.
I could be getting the name mixed up. It was the one where they are on a class trip in Europe.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Looks fun, I'm down! Assuming COVID lets us go to the movies again lol. Rumor has it Tobey & Andrew will be making guest appearances. Got Doc Ock, hopefully William Dafoe again (based on the voice), and maybe the Sinister Six. Graphics look way fun!

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Throwback to the first one when he caught all the food when MJ slipped...apparently they spent a 16-hour day shooting 156 takes to capture the shot! They used some sticky adhesive to help catch all of the items. Insanity!

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I've been going off the MCU for a while now (though I plan to watch Infinity War / Endgame at some point despite knowing pretty much everything that happens already), but the plot that comes up in this trailer is just mind-bogglingly stupid. Yeah, I can see a kid/young man wanting to 'turn back time' (CHERRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!) because consequences are awkward, I haven't seen much of Dr Strange yet but I assume he's not a stoner wizard who thinks, "ROFL LOL THAT'LL BE A GREAT IDEA!" or anywhere between that and, "oh, let's do this incredibly stupid thing since you asked so nicely and we're buds and all"

I have a weird mix of 3 things when I watch movies:

1. Putting on my 12-year-old-kid hat & just enjoying it brainlessly
2. Getting offended when they don't stick with the story-world rules they designed
3. Auditing the movie as a film & piece of art

In this case, the trailer did cause me pause when he was like hey we're gonna change the whole dimension & then kept yelling at Peter to stop goofing it up. Like for a guy who went through 14 billion iterations of the future to find the one key to stopping Thanos, that seems pretty careless. Hopefully that was just a goofy trailer cut & the movie storyline is better!

I'm curious to see if they're ever going to do a Spiderman/Venom crossover. Venom was surprisingly funny & I think that could work with Tom Holland's Spiderman. Carnage looks like it's going to be fun:

Reactions: mikeymikec

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
My personal favorite super-hero movie is Spiderman 2 (Doc Oc) and I think Tobey McGuire's picture should be next to Spider-Man in the dictionary lol.

Having said that, Peter Parker is a teenager in the comics and Tobey is just too old. (he looks as much like a "teen" as Henry Winkler did in Happy Days!)

Although I wasn't crazy about Tom Holland at first, I'm now 100% behind him and taking age into account he's the best choice for Spidey now IMO.

*(also remember HE is the reason Sony & Disney worked things out) :hearteyes:

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Into the Spider-verse already did a great Spider-man multiverse story, surprised that they’re going with a similar premise here, although it would be cool to see the other iterations of Spider-man join the MCU Spider-man, facing the villains from all three franchises in a Sinister Six line-up.

TXHokie

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 1999
Alternate universe and time travel are done in comic books all the time so why not for MCU. I'll watch.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Just watched the trailer myself .... looks to me that Marvel has now officially jumped the shark.

What a jumbled mess .... no desire to see it whatsoever. :confused:

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
I can't decide if a spider-man movie that indirectly pokes fun at all of the reboots of this property is a good idea or a absolutely terrible one. Either way, I probably won't be watching until its on streaming/dvd.