Spicer & Trump may have come up with the ultimate...

Feb 4, 2009
Jan 25, 2011
So we are supposed to ignore the fact that the lobbying for Turkey and the speeches in Russia happened AFTER Obama fired him?

Reactions: Thump553

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Haha:
Shortly after the briefing, President Donald Trump himself was asked by a reporter during a memorandum signing if he had any regrets about Michael Flynn.
Sitting at the resolute desk in the Oval Office, Trump looked directly at the reporter and said, "Thank you."

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
This is such an incredible load of horseshit. Once he was fired/retired, his currently active clearance would have been terminated. He would have to reapply once given the job in Trump WH. Complete and utter crock of shit. There must be something here they really want to defend against as this is a demonstrably ridiculous position to take that won't require any kind of "inside pool" to refute. And it likely won't hold for too long. Buckle up.

Feb 4, 2009
I'm predicting right now that Trump gives Flynn a blanket Presidential Pardon for all crimes committed the moment things start to boil. He'll play it off that Flynn is a good strong man who got a bad rap and he (Trump) is loyal to his people.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
So, he apparently re-applied in 2016 sometime. Why? At that point he was retired and not yet part of the admin. Might have been as official member of Trump campaign, as part of the briefed in staff. Either way, he apparently left out the contacts and payment info at that time. This is still just blame shifting. Leaving out the info is the key. Huge no-no. He has to have known that.

Feb 4, 2009
So, he apparently re-applied in 2016 sometime. Why? At that point he was retired and not yet part of the admin. Might have been as official member of Trump campaign, as part of the briefed in staff. Either way, he apparently left out the contacts and payment info at that time. This is still just blame shifting. Leaving out the info is the key. Huge no-no. He has to have known that.

Add to the above that Flynn was warned about accepting foreign money, even allies money in 2014 (or 2015)

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
This is such an incredible load of horseshit. Once he was fired/retired, his currently active clearance would have been terminated. He would have to reapply once given the job in Trump WH. Complete and utter crock of shit. There must be something here they really want to defend against as this is a demonstrably ridiculous position to take that won't require any kind of "inside pool" to refute. And it likely won't hold for too long. Buckle up.
I swear, they really rely on hoping (and it's probably true) that the general public don't know how clearances work or how classification works. What I would like to know is and I hope the committee digs up is when he was granted the clearance during the Obama administration is if they did a follow up interview about his travels overseas. I swear if you leave out more than a week long period of your life (meaning your whereabouts) on a clearance form you will be asked where you were during that period of time.

Feb 4, 2009
Apparently they are taking about his clearance issued 2016 which he still had in retirement to be able to advise.

*I heard on the News last night that Generals & Admirals' keep their security clearance automatically when they retire it gets renewed every 3(?) years afterwards.
Retired Generals also are instructed that they are required to report foreign earnings and are barred from receiving certain types forever. Every General is briefed and all have understood. Interesting question is why Flynn didn't understand and appears nit to know.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
I swear, they really rely on hoping (and it's probably true) that the general public don't know how clearances work or how classification works. What I would like to know is and I hope the committee digs up is when he was granted the clearance during the Obama administration is if they did a follow up interview about his travels overseas. I swear if you leave out more than a week long period of your life (meaning your whereabouts) on a clearance form you will be asked where you were during that period of time.

Well, they've kind of already proven that case out based on the "but her emails" fiasco. It was a giant nothingburger to anyone that has ever utilized classified computer systems. Literally zero culpability on that end.

As to the follow up, unlikely. If he didn't mention it on the application, doubtful it was investigated unless someone had specifically reported it as derogatory. The only time they kick those back for gaps is on employment history or place of residence. Now, the investigator should have asked him during his in person interview to confirm his answers. But again, if he confirmed in the negative with no outside info, there's really nothing they can do.