Spend spend spend and tax tax tax

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
http://www.desmoinesregister.c.../NEWS10/804230382/1011
Car fee increase linked to bridge collapse hysteria :roll:

http://www.desmoinesregister.c...S10/804230375/-1/ENT05
State takeover of "local" option sales tax.

Oh, and don't forget the gas-tax Gronstal and his puppet Culver have waiting in the wings.

But sadly even if one could make an argument for each of these tax increases it still doesn't come close to covering all the additional spending by Gronstall and his puppet Culver. Hell, they are now starting whine about the expected decrease in cig tax revenue since the increased it $1/pack last year. spend and tax spend and tax.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
This guy should get together with Jim "The douchebag" Oberstar. Those two would be perfect tandem of ass and clown. Jimmy boy couldnt even wait for the bodies to be pulled from the mighty mississippi before trying to guilt us into higher gas taxes. He actually stood at the collapse site with rescue workers behind him and lambasted the taxpayer for not paying enough and invoked the god almighty to command us to obey.

Then it turns out Jimmy boy isnt doing his job as head of the transportation committee and he disappears again.

imported_Lothar

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2006
You don't know who the Governor of your state is? :confused:

The Iowa Senate approved House File 2663 on a vote of 34-15 Tuesday.

There's only a 10 member difference between Reps and Dems in the Iowa Senate (Dems have +10).
Seems to me like the bill had bipartisan support. ;)

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Lothar

There's only a 10 member difference between Reps and Dems in the Iowa Senate (Dems have +10).

Yes, I know who the Governor is. Gronstall is the puppetmaster of Culver. You'd have to know Iowa politics... ;)

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY

Yes, I know who the Governor is. Gronstall is the puppetmaster of Culver. You'd have to know Iowa politics... ;)
... as twisted through the mind of a die-hard right-wing partisan.

Yes, this did have bipartisan support. Also, according to my calculator, this is a modest 1.8% increase, well below the rate of general inflation, substantially below the skyrocketing increases in medical costs. It also seems to make good financial sense for Iowa:

[ ... ]
A high point of the budget, according to floor manager Rep. Ro Foege, D-Mount Vernon, was a 1 percent ? $6.5 million ? increase in fees paid to Medicaid providers. The federal government adds $2 for each $1 the state pays, he said.

Iowa has some of the lowest Medicaid reimbursements rates
, which makes it hard to recruit health care professionals to the state, thus limiting access to care for Iowa seniors and low-income families served by Medicaid, Foege said. ...
Given Iowa's relatively high elderly population, this seems like a reasonable thing to do. Iowa is constitutionally prohibited from just putting it on future generations' tab, unlike the federal government. Iowa budgets must be "balanced" every year (though, naturally, the definition of balanced is a bit creative, something Iowa's Republicans have exploited just as much as its Democrats.)

But anyway, let's not let facts distract us from a good, frothy rant. I'm sure the sky really is falling. :laugh:

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Bowfinger
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY

... as twisted through the mind of a die-hard right-wing partisan.

Yes, this did have bipartisan support. Also, according to my calculator, this is a modest 1.8% increase, well below the rate of general inflation, substantially below the skyrocketing increases in medical costs. It also seems to make good financial sense for Iowa:

[ ... ]
A high point of the budget, according to floor manager Rep. Ro Foege, D-Mount Vernon, was a 1 percent ? $6.5 million ? increase in fees paid to Medicaid providers. The federal government adds $2 for each $1 the state pays, he said.

Iowa has some of the lowest Medicaid reimbursements rates
, which makes it hard to recruit health care professionals to the state, thus limiting access to care for Iowa seniors and low-income families served by Medicaid, Foege said. ...
Given Iowa's relatively high elderly population, this seems like a reasonable thing to do. Iowa is constitutionally prohibited from just putting it on future generations' tab, unlike the federal government. Iowa budgets must be "balanced" every year (though, naturally, the definition of balanced is a bit creative, something Iowa's Republicans have exploited just as much as its Democrats.)

But anyway, let's not let facts distract us from a good, frothy rant. I'm sure the sky really is falling. :laugh:

Exactly, lets not let the facts distract us from the truth about the rampant spending and taxing going on at the state house. like I stated in the OP, a case might be made for each of these things(emotional as they may be) but the sheer size of the total budget increase is shocking and go figure.... the tax and fee increases are shocking.