Speedpass Modification ideas! - Gadget Thread *PICS INCLUDED*

LordMaul

Lifer
Nov 16, 2000
Sooo, I got a Speedpass the other day. The those who don't know what it is, here's the link. It's a small electronic device that you wave at little receivers at McDonald's and Mobil gas stations, and it charges your credit card instead of you giving them straight up cash. It's being tested out in the Chicago area only, so far...to the best of my knowledge.

I normally wouldn't go for this kind of stuff, but it can be useful as I'm always stopping at McDonald's for a coke or something and Mobil gas stations are everywhere. Why not try it, right? It's free, so you just punch in your CC # and 2 passes show up sometime within the week.

So I get them, and try it a few times. Great, it works, it's nice, etc. but it's kind of lame. I mean, you have to have this little black thing at the end of your keychain, that is actually kind of stupid looking, or you buy their expensive watch-Speedpass-combo for however much they want, and risk them ditching the service and being left with a cheap watch that you paid $$ for because of the now-useless feature.

MAIN PART - Read this! :D

So I decide to customize it! I take my new speedpass,, grab my beloved CyberTool 34, and embark on my quest to find out what makes 'er tick.

Upon taking a close look at my Speedpass, I found there to be no easily-popped seams. I took my pliers and crushed one end, broke a piece off, and examined the insides of it. Not too bad...so i took the pliers and pulled out this little thing (sorry for the bad pics). After cutting away the little rubber sheath, I was left with this little, uber-polished, glass-encased object. Nice and sturdy, no open wires, etc. Rather dissapointing, but it works...

So, what should I do with it? I'm always one for gadgets, that's why I like this. I toyed with the idea of just sticking it somewhere on my Data-Link Triathlon Timex watch, but it's not very exciting and already a used idea. Maybe putting in on my glasses, but it's a bit large.

Any ideas? Even if it's horribly geeky, I'm all for it. I want to have some fun. :D

LordMaul

Lifer
Nov 16, 2000
Originally posted by: pyonir
my opinion? you should get out more.

:p

No, then I would end up chancing the loss of my beautiful, pasty white skin.

Common, it's a gadget. Why not? :D

RegaPlanet

Jul 11, 2000
They have them here in southern Ontario also at Esso gas stations. I think you should cut a slit into your index finger, slip it in there and stitch it up... So you have that... magic touch

Ih8canada

Jan 21, 2002
paste it on your butt and then when you get gas or mcdonald's moon the lil sensor and then you get arrested for indecency you can just say you were paying for your lunch/gas.

zimmie6576

Apr 7, 2002
SpeedPass is available at every Mobil gas station, all over the country. You can use them inside the gas station too, for food, drinks, and whatever else they sell.

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Speedpass has been available in California for the past 6 years. What cave have you been living in? Must be cozy. :p

Bignate603

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
implant it in your hand so you can just wave your hand at it, lol

seriously, i would place it in something attached to a watch or something so it's always there. I

phreakyzen

Jul 19, 2001
It has been at Moblie for a while but your right about the McDonalds usage. Soon enough we will all have chips in our fingers that let us buy what we want at any time. There will be some central government agency watching every purchase drawing conclusions about our threat level to society. Purchase too many of this or that and they will take you out. Only way to hide, cut off your finger! Welcome to the new world order!

LordMaul

Lifer
Nov 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Bignate603
implant it in your hand so you can just wave your hand at it, lol

seriously, i would place it in something attached to a watch or something so it's always there. I

I suppose.

Kind of boring, though. :D

Apr 5, 2000
Didn't know you could use the speedpass at McDonalds....I know they just recently implemented a system where you can use your TollTag to pay at McDonalds but didn't know about the speedpass

LordMaul

Lifer
Nov 16, 2000
Originally posted by: RagingBITCH
Didn't know you could use the speedpass at McDonalds....I know they just recently implemented a system where you can use your TollTag to pay at McDonalds but didn't know about the speedpass

TollTag? Haven't seen that. But yes, almost all the McDonald's around here have them nowadays. Fairly convenient, but still boring! :)

glen

Lifer
Apr 28, 2000
Find a keychain model of the Enterprise. Replace one of the engines with it and paint it to match the ship.

Apr 5, 2000
I kinda wonder why you can't pay with credit cards yet....I mean it would just take a signature....or if they didn't want to sign anything, just swipe the card at like a gas station....but oh no....a speed pass that's connected to your credit card makes it safer and easier to use I guess (?!?!)

LordMaul

Lifer
Nov 16, 2000
Originally posted by: glen
Find a keychain model of the Enterprise. Replace one of the engines with it and paint it to match the ship.

I suppose I could do something along those lines, IE making my own toy with a speedpass inside, but I was looking more towards smaller, easily carried along and concealed...

LordMaul

Lifer
Nov 16, 2000
Originally posted by: RagingBITCH
I kinda wonder why you can't pay with credit cards yet....I mean it would just take a signature....or if they didn't want to sign anything, just swipe the card at like a gas station....but oh no....a speed pass that's connected to your credit card makes it safer and easier to use I guess (?!?!)

I am not sure, but isn't that what the thing on the counter is, in the pic a few posts above?

Or is that debit-only?

Or neither?

Apr 5, 2000
The only fast food place in the DFW area that takes CC's or debit is Arby's.....none of the McD/Burger King/Wendy/Whataburgers around here accept CC's