Speeding ticket, pay or fight?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: bozack
Originally posted by: SparkyJJO
Here is a quick and easy fix to avoid speeding tickets from here on out:

Don't speed, obey the law.

Works like a charm, amazing how I'm 20 and pay less on insurance (driving a sports car no less) than someone who was a good 15 years older than me simply because of speeding tickets.

If you usually do but weren't paying attention to your speedometer, then take it as a lesson. Besides, I'd think you could tell that you were going well over the speed limit when doing 88 in a 65 zone :confused:

Honestly I have been in plenty of cars where you feel like you aren't going that fast and only when you look at the speedometer do you realize that you are flying...

I hate drivers like you. I check my speedometer plenty often enough to know how fast I'm going and I stay at a consistent speed. Then you get people like you who just follow the leader and when there's a slight downhill everybody speeds up to like 85 like a bunch of sheep and half the people start riding my ass and swerving around cars going a mere 75 and then I need to pass them all on the next slight incline as they drop to 65.

Oh, and when there's roadwork you're supposed to SLOW DOWN not freaking speed up to within 12 mph of 100MPH. Cool? Great. Bye.

techwanabe

Diamond Member
May 24, 2000
Originally posted by: bozack
Originally posted by: MagnusTheBrewer
Take the class and pay it.

There is no class that reduces points here in my state, you are stuck with them for six years.

Ouch, six years! In NY the points now stay on for only 1.5 years (I checked on the internet) but what they do is give you more points per ticket. The idea is if you get whacked too many times in a short period you could lose you license. But, if you are good, the points go away in a short amt of time. I got a 20+ mph over the speed limit ticket in Syracuse where I live but you CAN hire a lawyer to reduce or even get all the points removed. I did exactly that. It was a stretch a long a lake what is 55 mph but Nov 1 thru March 30 they reduce it to 45. That parkway was empty on a Saturday and I was driving about 66 thinking it was still 55 (ok a bit fast) but it was just after they dropped it in early Nov! Grrrr.. I don't generally knowingly "push it".

Recently I got hit in PA in an area where I drive for work. I was near the outskirt of town where you normally see at least a 45 or more speed limit. I was listening to a book on tape not paying attention and got up to 60 for a bit and it was still 35. Grrr! I tried to hire a lawyer down there but he said to just pay the fine but plead not guilty and they will schedule a trial. I'll try to ge the trial for a time when I'm down working and go in and plead to get it reduced. No guarantee's but I'm going to try. BTW, my ticket was barely in the 16-25 mph bracket... 4 points. So technically I could have gotten the same ticket (and $167 fine) for doing 51 mph! Pretty nasty ticket for not a huge speeding bracket.

I did get a ticket some years ago and a guy at the Bank where I had the IT job was the security officer and he used to be a policeman. He told me to go in on DA's night and talk to the Dist Attny. She was hot! Anyway, I didn't tell her she was hot but I pleaded and she reduced my moving to a non-moving violation. I then went before the judge to make it official and he discovered the policeman who pulled me over wrote down the wrong violation #. It got tossed out with no fine or anything!

Moral of the story, it can't hurt to try, and in many cases you will get a reduction or if you are real lucky, it will be tossed!

Here is a quick and easy fix to avoid speeding tickets from here on out:

Don't speed, obey the law.

I'm all for that. My problem is I obey the law but sometimes just am absent minded and that is generally when I get hit. I'm not speeding excessivly on purpose when get a ticket. Once I was on a 2 lane road out in the middle of the north country of NY state in a rented Impala - very quiet inside and very powerful. Speed limit 55 and hilly. I was just gliding down a hill, not paying attention and before I knew it the down hill momentum together with the quiet powerful car etc and I was doing 77 for a brief stretch. Boom, ticket. The scenario above, with the speed limit that changes on Nov 1 along the lake. Not going drastically over but not paying attention. Boom. For me, speeding tickets aren't so much a punishment for being naughty, but a wake up call to pay better attention. I guess that is part of the purpose of them.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
The whole "don't speed, obey the law" thing doesn't work when the flow of traffic averages 10 over the speed limit in the slow lane and 15 over the speed limit in the fast lane! Hell... If I actually DID the speed limit on my local freeways I'd probably cause an accident!

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
I have found the ticket clinics end up costing about the same as traffic school but you don't use up your limited elections if you are sentenced to take it.

If you are blatantly going 100 in a 45 or something, it's best not to show up in traffic court...this is the time you want to just go to school. The judge will F' you up...I have heard some classic one liners sitting in traffic court. Traffic court shows you the insanity on our roadways.

Heck even in class some guy was adamant he had a right to wave a gun at traffic to move and the judge didn't understand the constitution. This guy spoke in broken english though and also was ejected at half time for downing a beer in the hallway.

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: blackllotus
You could stop trying to exploit the system and just pay. Look at it this way. Tickets are basically a tax for being able to drive faster than other people.

You have no idea how the system works.

He isn't exploiting the system, the system is exploiting him. This is a for-profit business and you'd be a fool if you didn't know that it's all about the money. In fact, they'll usually accept a bargain if you agree to pay a higher fine in exchange for no points.

Why do you think lawyers exist if it's wrong to fight charges?

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: 91TTZ

They mostly exist because they always get paid one way or another now.

Due to them, it's hard for a private citizen to effectively defend themself.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Originally posted by: 91TTZ

Because they can make tons of money doing it. :p