Speeding Ticket... JOL and want to appeal.

acegazda

Platinum Member
May 14, 2006
Hey,
2 weeks ago I got a speeding ticket for doing 60 in a 35 zone. I'm 17 and if you are unfamiliar with the penalties for speeding with a JOL they are ridiculous:

90 day suspension of license
ticket fee
$500 reinstatement fee
insurance hike
SCARR course

Now, I don't want to hear anything on the ethics of speeding, I just want some advice as to what I can do to appeal the ticket. As of now, the only thing I can think of is telling the magistrate that I'm a good kid, don't drink etc. and need the car to drive to school, swim practice and drive my brothers around.

Thanks in advance.
If it helps I got the ticket on soldiers field road in Brighton, MA.

• Wow
Reactions: whm1974

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Originally posted by: acegazda
Hey,
2 weeks ago I got a speeding ticket for doing 60 in a 35 zone. I'm 17 and if you are unfamiliar with the penalties for speeding with a JOL they are ridiculous:

ticket fee
$500 reinstatement fee
insurance hike
SCARR course

Now, I don't want to hear anything on the ethics of speeding, I just want some advice as to what I can do to appeal the ticket. As of now, the only thing I can think of is telling the magistrate that I'm a good kid, don't drink etc. and need the car to drive to school, swim practice and drive my brothers around.

Thanks in advance.
If it helps I got the ticket on soldiers field road in Brighton, MA.

Quoted for posterity.

QED

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2005
So, in essence, you think you are entitled to go more the twice the legal speed limit because you don't drink, are a "good kid", and "need" a car to drive to school, to swim practice, and to drive your brother around???

Sounds you deserve to walk while you serve your 90 day suspension.

Reactions: whm1974 and Ken g6

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006
Yes, seriously.
Judges don't like excuses, especially not so good ones.
Judge - "If you're such a "good kid" why are you doing almost twice the speed limit?"
A JOL is meant as a chance to prove yourself and you blew it. The judge will know this as he's probably seen it a million times.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Though Soldiers Field Road should have a higher speed limit since it's really a divided high-way, there's a State Police Barrack located on it and driving that fast on it is stupid.

I honestly can't think of anyway you could get out of it. Other than pleading for mercy.

Casawi

Platinum Member
Oct 31, 2004
Dude I was just in court 2 weeks ago, and when the cops shows up they need that money from you. I heard some people get away with just paying the fine, and no points. So why do you think you should get out it? you did something wrong, got a ticket ... I think that is how system works.
I think your best chance is if the cop doesn't show up.

good luck

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
and need the car to drive to school, swim practice and drive my brothers around.

Why were you incapable of thinking of that BEFORE doing 60 in a 35 zone? If having a license was so important to you then you should have treated it with more respect and protected it. Maybe your brothers will be safer getting driven around by a better driver instead of you.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
Got any parents or friends of family that have connections with the legal system? Couple of people I know had their ticket's paperwork go "missing".

QED

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2005
Originally posted by: Nitemare
JOL?

I"m guessing a Juvenile Operator's License-- a much more restricted version of a driver's license.

I'm guessing what the OP doesn't understand is that the restrictions on JOLs were meant exactly for drivers like him-- juveniles who think they have the right to speed simply because they are a juvenile.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Pay your fines and fees
Do your suspension
Next time, pay attention to the speed limits.

I REALLY don't see you getting out of all the repercussions if you're found guilty.
Bend over and take it like a man...:D

• Haha

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
Originally posted by: QED
Originally posted by: Nitemare
JOL?

I"m guessing a Juvenile Operator's License-- a much more restricted version of a driver's license.

I'm guessing what the OP doesn't understand is that the restrictions on JOLs were meant exactly for drivers like him-- juveniles who think they have the right to speed simply because they are a juvenile.

Junior, to be precise.

Among the restrictions, for the first six months, you can only drive family members. After that (and during those first six months), until the age of 18, you are subject to the new extremely strict speeding law, can't drive between 1:00 AM and 5:00 AM, et cetera. The new speeding law just went into effect... hmm, last April, maybe? Essentially, you are correct though.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
I can't imagine WHY they'd have such severe penalties for kids speeding.

Oh wait...

alpineranger

Feb 3, 2001
What strict speeding law?

As far as advice, go see the judge, plead for mercy and don't make excuses. Contrition is your best bet. You won't get off but you could get a reduced sentence.

I knew a guy once who was short on cash, so he canceled his insurance, then got into an accident and got his license revoked. He convinced them he needed to drive so he was allowed restricted driving privileges (although he still got a huge fine). Some traffic infractions are basically impossible to get out of, but you can still get a small break.

Connoisseur

Platinum Member
Sep 14, 2002
wow you guys are frickin great

Listen to Arnold slick. He puts it best. Seriously. Just listen to Arnold. You're not gonna get any sympathy from most people here (except kids your own age). Since the dawn of drivers licenses, kids have gotten tickets. You're no one special to be able to wiggle your way out of punishment.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
I'm 17 and if you are unfamiliar with the penalties for speeding with a JOL they are ridiculous:
ticket fee
$500 reinstatement fee
insurance hike
SCARR course

Ridiculousness of penalties not found.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
you realize that at 26 if i got pulled over for going 60 in a 35 i would get a hefty fine, a hike in insurance, maybe loss of licence, depends on state and if you have any points allready on licence, and maybe a driving course

i fail to see why you are complaining

GG02

Feb 14, 2008
wow you guys are frickin great

No...you're frickin ridiculous for going nearly double the speed limit, then posting on an internet forum for advice, and expecting to not get chastised for it. You deserve it. You reap what you sow. As its been said before in this thread, if you were such a good kid, and needed the car, you should have thought about that before speeding.