Speedfan 4.33 on my Pentium D 805

imported_Scoop

Dec 10, 2007
I read on the speedfan site that this version is supposed to give correct readings on cpu temperatures so I gave it a shot. I have never used such applications since the last I read about coretemp, they said it doesn't support Pentium D. So this was interesting for me. When it comes to giving correct temps, at least the GPU core temp is the same as what RivaTuner gives me.

I'll start by telling about my system.

I have a 9-year-old full tower case with a height of 62cm (~2 feet). It has absolutely no places for intake or exhaust fans and I've never had a case fan inside this enclosure. The PSU sits at about 50cm (~1'6") off the ground in the case, so there's some room on top of it for the air to circulate out of. That would be if the PSU, HDs, DVD drive and floppy drive cords with RAM sticks weren't effectively in the way. So basically the air just hovers at the bottom of the case.

My PSU is an AOpen (I think) 350W without a fan on the bottom of it. It only has a fan in the rear from which it pushes out hot air after 30min of the system being turned on. I bought it late last summer (2006) as well as my Pentium D 805 CPU, Asus P5P800 SE motherboard and 1GB of DDR 400Mhz Kingston memory.

So we now know that I'm using a Pentium D CPU. It's running on stock @2.66Ghz with the retail Intel cooler. The first thing I noticed after the update last summer was the massive amount of noise coming out of my system. I was previously running a Celeron 1.2Ghz but it didn't run video files encoded with h.264 so I HAD TO upgrade. I wasn't very happy about the noise issue and I'll get to it in this post.

I haven't told you my GPU yet but here it comes. I bought a 7600 GT AGP this fall (2007) so that I could play F.E.A.R. which I had wanted to play since it came out but my old GPU wasn't up for it. I had an FX5700 previously. I ran RivaTuner with the FX5700 and the Pentium D and it gave me 59C core temp while idle (first indication of what's coming up). I had some problems with the card and my new system, problems I didn't have when I had the Celeron. The system constantly kept crashing while in windows doing, well something. The best way to make it crash was to go through bunch of pictures with "high speed" and it would just freeze, the screen would go black and the only thing you could do was press reset. This never, even once, happened while gaming. With the new 7600GT I haven't had this problem anymore. I ran RivaTuner with the new GPU and it gave me 71C on idle.

I have two Maxtor hard drives. The older is 80GB and the newer, which I can't even remember when I bought it, is 120GB. They make some serious scratching noises every once in a while but they've hold up.

I live in a studio apartment. A heat radiator is about 1m (3 feet) away from my computer and it's running hot. You can just keep your hand on it for a while. And I've got cold hands.
The room temperature is somewhere between 25-30C.

So we know that I have a totally crappy case with at least a hot GPU inside and a CPU that makes hell of a lot noise.

Now we finally get to the point in this thread. So I ran speedfan for the first time with great anticipation. And the results were rather nice. It reported the following as my idle temps.

System 48
CPU 54
Aux 50
HD0 56
HD1 61
Core 69
Ambient 0

I take it the Core means GPU core as it's the same value as what RivaTuner gives me. Ambient temperatures couldn't be measured I guess. So what do you think about them? :)
And also the noise issue. Speedfan reports that the CPU cooler runs at 4500 RPM stable.

So I decided to try to get some temps while under some load. I left the speedfan running and went to play Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines for ~30min. This game doesn't really fully load my system but it was the only thing I had right at the moment. I played it with 1600x1200 with everything on MAX like I play it normally. It runs mostly without any problems whatsoever, but sometimes it gets a little slow when in towns and lots of people are in sight.

So I came back to check the charts on speedfan. I'm reporting the CPU and GPU Core only as the others didn't change that much. CPU had it's highest peak at 74C and the GPU Core at 84C. Aren't these nice? :) After I stopped playing the CPU temp came down rapidly to the mid 50s and the Core temp dropped as well obviously.

After this experiment I did some "phase cooling". I know it isn't really phase cooling but it's something to that kind. I opened the windows and the balcony door of my studio apartment and let the apartment cool for ~15min. The temperature outside was ~-1C. My system is about 1m (3 feet) away from the nearest open window.

So I observed the temps on speedfan and they dropped nicely.

System 42 (down from previous 48 idle)
CPU 49 (down from 54)
Aux 48 (down from 50)
HD0 54 (down from 56)
HD1 61 (same)
Core 64 (down from 69)

After I closed both windows and the door, temps began to rise to the normal idle levels that they were.

This was one long post but if you read it completely, I hope you enjoyed it. :D To me this was one interesting experience.