Discussion Speculation: Zen 4 (EPYC 4 "Genoa", Ryzen 7000, etc.)

Page 51 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Vattila

Oct 22, 2004
Except for the details about the improvements in the microarchitecture, we now know pretty well what to expect with Zen 3.

The leaked presentation by AMD Senior Manager Martin Hilgeman shows that EPYC 3 "Milan" will, as promised and expected, reuse the current platform (SP3), and the system architecture and packaging looks to be the same, with the same 9-die chiplet design and the same maximum core and thread-count (no SMT-4, contrary to rumour). The biggest change revealed so far is the enlargement of the compute complex from 4 cores to 8 cores, all sharing a larger L3 cache ("32+ MB", likely to double to 64 MB, I think).

Hilgeman's slides did also show that EPYC 4 "Genoa" is in the definition phase (or was at the time of the presentation in September, at least), and will come with a new platform (SP5), with new memory support (likely DDR5).

Untitled2.png

What else do you think we will see with Zen 4? PCI-Express 5 support? Increased core-count? 4-way SMT? New packaging (interposer, 2.5D, 3D)? Integrated memory on package (HBM)?

Vote in the poll and share your thoughts! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: richardllewis_01

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005
If im going to be honest, it just looks like a way to workaround the lack of avalible memory on a console, as sharing 16GB for GPU+CPU, and im petty sure the S.O is reserving some of it, thats looks really bad looking forward. So being able to load assets directly from a very fast storage whiout having to go to ram first it is really usefull in those cases. BUUUUUT here is the thing, ram is still A LOT FASTER, i dont see a good reason for stop using ram as a another cache in the middle, unless you are on a console and it is either RAM or VRAM... and you want it to be VRAM for assets.

On PC, i dont think it will be very usefull, and the fact you need PCI-E 4, with a PCI-E 4 gpu and a PCI-E 4 NVME... yeah no.

There are other things developers will be able to do that they can’t do now. On mobile so I don’t want to get into it, but the initial implementations will probably suck, and then you will get that killer game that makes it work.

LightningZ71

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2017
I, for one, welcome the extra PCIe channels. If they use them for extra bandwidth between the chipset and the CPU, that's a good thing, especially with the proliferation of 10Gbe and USB4 ports that are coming in the future. While it likely won't mean any extra lanes on the "X670" chipset, possibly, it will certainly help with keeping the link bandwidth contention under control in high traffic scenarios. Being able to have two PCIe 4.0 NVME drives on the chipset with minimal bus congestion at the chipset is a good thing.

DisEnchantment

Golden Member
Mar 3, 2017
It has many interesting dibits. One is that AMD might actually end up doing some ARM solutions when it's a good fit for some customers (which was probably quite obvious anyhow).
If you squint really hard (or "want to believe" :D) they are also hinting of having different archs for different sweetspots (e.g. how Arm has X1 for maximum performance at a cost of area and A78 for optimized perf/watt per transistor)
You could already say, with some certainty, that a huge chunk of AMD's portfolio will be based on arm by year end. (Deal already approved in US)
All of Xilinx's ACAP are supported by arm cores.
Azure is one of the key Xilinx customers in DC/HPC and they are very interested in SmartNICs and ACAPs. And as you can guess, AMD would be more than happy to do a special super duper custom secret sauce arm based SoC for MS.

Current research indicates FPGAs to continue to gain traction for inferencing in the DC

Should come as no surprise that Lisa keeps mentioning that ARM is a partner.

Last edited:

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
Should come as no surprise that Lisa keeps mentioning that ARM is a partner.
Bears repeating that AMD has an ARM architectural license (since 2012), all Zen chips already include an ARM core, and implement ARM's TrustZone. Though Xilinx certainly will add even more obvious ARM related competency to the combined company.

andermans

Sep 11, 2020
Bears repeating that AMD has an ARM architectural license (since 2012), all Zen chips already include an ARM core, and implement ARM's TrustZone. Though Xilinx certainly will add even more obvious ARM related competency to the combined company.

What is the scope of such a license? Does it cover new architecture extensions (like AArch64 or ARMv9)?

uzzi38

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 2019

zir_blazer

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2013
I, for one, welcome the extra PCIe channels. If they use them for extra bandwidth between the chipset and the CPU, that's a good thing, especially with the proliferation of 10Gbe and USB4 ports that are coming in the future. While it likely won't mean any extra lanes on the "X670" chipset, possibly, it will certainly help with keeping the link bandwidth contention under control in high traffic scenarios. Being able to have two PCIe 4.0 NVME drives on the chipset with minimal bus congestion at the chipset is a good thing.
Given the fact that even the original Zen had 4 10G MACs builtin and that AM4 castrated the full Zen potential (It had 32 PCIe Lanes whereas AM4 only exposes 24. Zen could also use 8 for SATA instead of only 2. Did a Thread about Zen capabilities), I'm not impressed. 32 PCIe Lanes was a beautiful sweet spot.
Using the Chipset lanes is inferior to wiring things directly to the Processor anyways, so I don't see two NVMe SSDs on the Chipset a good thing since it is still a hop further away. Actually, one of the reasons why I want a big SoC (And with Chiplets it is easy to do, just look at Matisse and Vermeer having a Chipset die on the CPU package) is to say the discrete Chipset goodbye. I think that AMD could use a bigger socket as baseline that could fully drive a mITX and even mATX Motherboard then an optional Chipset for full fledged ATX ones if you want to fanout for more, smaller PCIe Ports that can be multiplexed because they don't use concurrent bandwidth, and more USB Ports.

Reactions: lightmanek

Gideon

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
Interesting, but looks suspiciois to me:

I find the zen5 + zen4 part odd. If zen4 is the best Big Core they have for 2022 it certainly can't be the little core of 2023, right?

uzzi38

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 2019
Interesting, but looks suspiciois to me:

I find the zen5 + zen4 part odd. If zen4 is the best Big Core they have for 2022 it certainly can't be the little core of 2023, right?
It'll be the basis for the little, but some modifications made for area reasons. ISA support is supposedly the same between both cores.

Gideon

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
It'll be the basis for the little, but some modifications made for area reasons. ISA support is supposedly the same between both cores.
This also hints that Zen5 is significantly larger architecture. Sort of X1 vs A78. I hoped AMD would already do that with Zen4, but it will probably be a jump more akin to Zen 2 and 3 (with new instructions and a 15-20% IPC gain)

New Vector/ ML instruction support should be all but guaranteed. No way AMD will ride to Zen 5 with AVX2 only (which they already support since Excavator)

DisEnchantment

Golden Member
Mar 3, 2017
This also hints that Zen5 is significantly larger architecture. Sort of X1 vs A78. I hoped AMD would already do that with Zen4, but it will probably be a jump more akin to Zen 2 and 3 (with new instructions and a 15-20% IPC gain)

New Vector/ ML instruction support should be all but guaranteed. No way AMD will ride to Zen 5 with AVX2 only (which they already support since Excavator)
I am not sure by the time Zen5 comes the CPU is going to be same as we know today. Especially in the DC.
I think was it Forrest Norrod or Mark Papermaster who said this already, that the notion of doing updates to the current CPU architecture is not going to hold true in the long run, that we should expect AMD to address diversifying workloads not with current x86 cores but rather a more heterogenous architecture?
When I find the interview will update.

Also, is there an option to hide posts without ignoring? Am getting weary about leaks lately. There is just too many and basically covers all dimesions in all the performance axes

Reactions: lightmanek

uzzi38

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 2019
Didn't notice the image at first. Yeah, that seems wrong.

Has MLID ever even gotten anything AMD related right that wasn't already leaked by someone before him?
I don't know, and to be frank, I don't entirely care. He's said enough bollocks for me to know that he's more than happy to either make stuff up or trust things from absolutely anyone.

You guys remember this one? I know who made it up. Hell a couple of things on their I contributed to. It was total BS designed to see who would take the bait without attempting to verify their sources, and MLID posted it in a video within just hours of receiving it.
36b5c504e80b7e4d2007dd2a4cbbcc86.jpg

exquisitechar

Apr 18, 2017
I don't know, and to be frank, I don't entirely care. He's said enough bollocks for me to know that he's more than happy to either make stuff up or trust things from absolutely anyone.

You guys remember this one? I know who made it up. Hell a couple of things on their I contributed to. It was total BS designed to see who would take the bait without attempting to verify their sources, and MLID posted it in a video within just hours of receiving it.
36b5c504e80b7e4d2007dd2a4cbbcc86.jpg
I remember that. Well, in any case, his Zen 4 leak is bunk.