Speculation: Ryzen 4000 series/Zen 3

Page 218 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
AMD could sell Ryzen CPUs for less and still be profitable. Their biggest cost is the opportunity cost of not using that chiplet for an Epyc CPU.

The higher prices were also because they had Intel squarely beat across the board. If Intel remains competitive then so will AMD's prices.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
The 5800X's original MSRP was $449, and their costs are going way up, soo...

Yeah but if the baseline Raphael is 8c, it might be closer to the 5600x launch price. Maybe. Really depends on how far up the product stack they go with different SKUs.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Yeah but if the baseline Raphael is 8c, it might be closer to the 5600x launch price. Maybe. Really depends on how far up the product stack they go with different SKUs.

I don't think they want to make the Ryzen 5 a full Zen 4 chiplet.

In keeping in this thread, maybe they could do Zen 4 + Zen 3. That doesn't seem realistic either so I am not sure.

Tuna-Fish

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2011
In keeping in this thread, maybe they could do Zen 4 + Zen 3. That doesn't seem realistic either so I am not sure.

I think the plan for the low-end will be AM4 and Zen 3, and it will stay like that for a while. DDR5 prices are still >2x DDR4 prices, and as far as I can tell, AM5 is a DDR5 only socket. Trying to compete in the low end with DDR5 vs DDR4 would just be painful, so the sanest choice is to just not even try and start by only releasing the high end on AM5. I expect a single-chiplet 8 core and dual chiplet CPUs, nothing below that until the DRAM prices cross over.

Reactions: moinmoin and Tlh97

randomhero

Apr 28, 2020
I think the plan for the low-end will be AM4 and Zen 3, and it will stay like that for a while. DDR5 prices are still >2x DDR4 prices, and as far as I can tell, AM5 is a DDR5 only socket. Trying to compete in the low end with DDR5 vs DDR4 would just be painful, so the sanest choice is to just not even try and start by only releasing the high end on AM5. I expect a single-chiplet 8 core and dual chiplet CPUs, nothing below that until the DRAM prices cross over.
I somewhat agree. Both with you and jpiniero. Keep Z4 high end, but use Z3+ as low end for AM5 socket. Rembrandt is DDR5 only, AFAIK.
For rest of TAM use AM4 socket processors, due to difference in price of platforms.

Reactions: scineram

tomatosummit

Mar 21, 2019
I was thinking the same thing. There will be practically no reason for AMD to sell a 6c part, especially since they can push budget buyers on to what's left of AM4 for 6-12 months. Or they can cover it with AM5 Rembrandt. Or both. Regardless I do not think the baseline Raphael 8c part will be $500.
It's what intel has been doing for a while already.
Release K or X parts early, have a nice round of reviews and then 6months later the mainstream parts and motherboards are released.
It's a fairly good schedule for the companies. Halo parts to win margins, garner a lot of press and don't need to be in high supply.
As you said am4 is a solid platform with a new top to bottom cpu product stack and it'll be dependant on how much amd wants to push people to am5.

For me it's if the 7600x is either $250 or $300 covering that range.
There's also the option of bumping core numbers again and having 8core raph at 300ish and 8core remb closer to 200.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
There's also the option of bumping core numbers again and having 8core raph at 300ish and 8core remb closer to 200.

I'm kind of expecting AMD to launch an 8c Raphael at $350-$399 as the baseline part, but they could surprise me.

Also I'm trying to remind myself that this is a Zen3 thread - in fact, the OG Zen3 thread from when we expected 4xxx part names for Vermeer - so in the interest of keeping things on-topic, I'd recommend that further discussion of Raphael parts/AM5 move to the Zen4 speculation thread before a mod has to come in and thump us.