Question Speculation: RDNA2 + CDNA Architectures thread

Page 180 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

uzzi38

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 2019
All die sizes are within 5mm^2. The poster here has been right on some things in the past afaik, and to his credit was the first to saying 505mm^2 for Navi21, which other people have backed up. Even still though, take the following with a pich of salt.

Navi21 - 505mm^2

Navi22 - 340mm^2

Navi23 - 240mm^2

Source is the following post: https://www.ptt.cc/bbs/PC_Shopping/M.1588075782.A.C1E.html

Tup3x

Dec 31, 2016
Ouch.

Yeah, it's all on the low side considering consoles have 16GB for 4K respectively 10GB for 1440p in XSS' case (of course one has to subtract the memory used by the OS, but memory usage on consoles can and will also be optimized in a way it isn't on PC).
If you consider that previous gen had 8GB of RAM and 8GB VRAM about sweet spot but not necessarily enough in all cases. Now they doubled the RAM... If thinks go like I think they are going there's no way that 10GB is going to age well. NVIDIA screwed up. It's also hilarious if they think that GTX 1070 users would upgrade to another 8GB card after all these years.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Now that Nvidia has announced their bundle with CoD, I guess Cyberpunk is still open for AMD.....but it looks like this Godfall game, and probably some other 2nd tier title (like they did with Strange Brigade and Star Control lumped in with AC Odyssey back in the Vega days) will be the lock for them for holiday bundles.

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
This just hit me: IF Microsoft super resolution is real, infinity cache is gonna have even higher hit rates...

At internal rendering of 1080p, the hit rates must be over 80%
Im a total noob, so this will sound stupid but, what is the releation between one and another?
Cyberpunk 2077 is nvidia locked. CDPR has been exclusively working with team green for more than 12 years.
Also, Nvidia had the Cyberpunk 2077 special edition of RTX 2080 Ti, so that is pretty much immediate "no" for AMD bundling the game with their GPUs.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Im a total noob, so this will sound stupid but, what is the releation between one and another?

I haven't heard of it either, but a quick Google search turned this link up: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/res...olution-dataset-via-beam-splitter-camera-rig/

It sounds a little bit like their own version of DLSS or something along those lines. I'm assuming that the point the poster was making is that if you're doing this kind of up-scaling on a 1080p source, more data should be stored in the Infinity Cache and therefor the hit rate should increase. I have no idea how sound any of those assumptions or the reasoning about them may actually be, but that's me interpretation of the post.

Olikan

Platinum Member
Sep 23, 2011
I haven't heard of it either, but a quick Google search turned this link up: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/res...olution-dataset-via-beam-splitter-camera-rig/

It sounds a little bit like their own version of DLSS or something along those lines. I'm assuming that the point the poster was making is that if you're doing this kind of up-scaling on a 1080p source, more data should be stored in the Infinity Cache and therefor the hit rate should increase. I have no idea how sound any of those assumptions or the reasoning about them may actually be, but that's me interpretation of the post.
You nailed it...

Reactions: Tlh97 and Glo.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
But I thought everyone was saying you don't need more than 10gb of Vram for most games. I've been reading that in several posts all over. First it was oh it's just MS flight sim 2020, only one title. Doesn't look to be the case for future games.

It's probably no coincidence that AMD's new gpu offerings and the new consoles have 16GB's of memory. It's possible were at the point in time were the console hardware is exploited to AMD's advantage whether intentionally or just a side effect of being in the consoles.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Well the consoles also split that memory with what would traditionally be stored in RAM, so it isn't a case of 16 GB of VRAM being the obvious floor. I don't know what kind of split most games will end up using or what the baseline will be for titles in a few years, but it's fair to think that 8 GB is going to be necessary since even the Xbox Series S will have at least that much and there are a lot of older GPUs that have at least 8 GB which make it an easy target.

If we do end up needing closer to 16 GB in most games I don't think it will be because developers are optimizing for AMD hardware, but more likely because the consoles offer them that much and programmers tend to be lazy gits that will just use up whatever resources are available. Hence the old saying that software is a gas, since it will expand to fill the container (i.e., memory and other hardware) its stored in.

Personally I think we'll probably see something closer to 10 GB in the near and midterm because the Xbox Series X has 10 GB of fast RAM. Between whatever the operating system will take up while running in the background, that probably leaves enough memory for whatever games would typically need to store in RAM.

Panino Manino

Jan 28, 2017
LinusTechTips posted an "hilarious" video today, building the "fastest gaming PC in the world". The catch? It's the fastest wink wink TODAY wink wink.

Not subtle at all.
The fastest processor in the world, "today", the 10900K.
The VGA is one RTX 3090.
I can see "Tom Cruise jumping on couches" levels of satisfaction tomorrow at AMD.

Edit:
He really fixed the tweet:

Did AMD really beat Nvidia?

Last edited:

uzzi38

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 2019
I asked this in another thread, but... it's the 5th then for reviews? What time? TIA!
Yeah, pretty sure it's the 5th for reviews and sales. As for what time, either 1 or 2pm GMT, I forget how AMD handles reviews now that we're not in daylight savings any more, but I'd think 2pm GMT.

Reactions: Tlh97 and Ajay

PhoBoChai

Oct 10, 2017
Well the consoles also split that memory with what would traditionally be stored in RAM, so it isn't a case of 16 GB of VRAM being the obvious floor. I don't know what kind of split most games will end up using or what the baseline will be for titles in a few years, but it's fair to think that 8 GB is going to be necessary since even the Xbox Series S will have at least that much and there are a lot of older GPUs that have at least 8 GB which make it an easy target.

There's no real split of RAM or VRAM on consoles, they operate on the Heterogeneous model. There are ofc, "CPU" workloads that sits in the shared memory that would remain in the system RAM on PC. Stuff like audio & game logic. But the rest are GPU.

We moved from 8GB console era that pushed vram to around 6GB at 1440p for the longest time, and around 8GB at 4K. This is despite the 8GB console reserving around 1.5gb of that for the OS.

I think its safe to say that in the new 16GB console era, 1440p is going to be pushed to around 8-10GB and 4K to 12-14GB to max the game on PC.

Gamedevs have a habit of using the hardware available to them, particular when its seen as the base spec.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
A good opportunity to finally let this out.
I'm the only one bothered that this launch will not happen on the 7th?
Why these companies can stay consistent? It's these little things that makes the world worse.

As if waiting for the 5th wasn't long enough! I could see your point if they had picked the 9th instead.