Specific Genes Linked to Big Brains and Intelligence

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
This is interesting. I wonder how this will be viewed especially if someone goes about and does averages of brain size for different racial groups.

Specific Genes Linked to Big Brains and Intelligence

http://news.yahoo.com/specific-genes-linked-big-brains-intelligence-181804542.html

Brain size and smarts are, to some extent, genetic — and now, a team of more than 200 researchers has uncovered specific genes that are linked to both brain volume and IQ.

Though scientists have suggested bigger brains are "smarter," this study is the strongest case yet for a genetic connection to brain size and to IQ. Of course, brain size is not 100 percent correlated with a person's intelligence, and other factors, including connections between brain cells and even a person's experiences, play roles.

"We found fairly unequivocal proof supporting a genetic link to brain function and intelligence. For the first time, we have watertight evidence of how these genes affect the brain," said lead researcher Paul Thompson, a neurologist at the University of California, Los Angeles, School of Medicine.

The international research team pooled brain scans and genetic data from around the world as part of a collaboration known as ENIGMA (Enhancing Neuro Imaging Genetics through Meta-Analysis). They scoured the data for single genes that influence disease risk as well as for genes linked to brain-tissue atrophy and brain size, said lead researcher Paul Thompson, a neurologist at the University of California, Los Angeles, School of Medicine.

"Our individual centers couldn't review enough brain scans to obtain definitive results," Thompson said in a statement. "By sharing our data with Project ENIGMA, we created a sample large enough to reveal clear patterns in genetic variation and show how these changes physically alter the brain."

The genetics of brain size

With data from 21,151 people, the researchers were able to link specific genes to variations in brain size. Brains shrink naturally with age, but size is important in a number of mental ailments. Decreased brain volume marks disorders including Alzheimer's disease, depression and schizophrenia, the researchers report today (April 15) in the journal Nature Genetics. [10 Controversial Psychiatric Disorders]

For example, the hippocampus is the part of the brain linked to memory formation and organization. A gene sequence called rs7294919 on chromosome 12 is linked to variations in hippocampus volume: Every instance of a genetic variant called a T-allele in this region was linked to lower hippocampus volume equivalent to 3.9 years of aging. (DNA is made up of four bases — A, C, T and G.)

This location on the chromosome (a threadlike structure that holds a DNA molecule) occurred between genes associated with the regulation of cell death and with cellular brain development and the cleaning up of proteins, including tau, which becomes defective in Alzheimer's disease.

Size and smarts

Another notable genetic sequence, located within the HMGA2 gene on chromosome 12, was linked with intracranial volume — in other words, the space inside your skull that marks the outer limit as to how big your brain can get. At this spot, every C-allele variant was linked to not only lower intracranial volume, but also to lower IQ scores on the Multidimensional Aptitude Battery, a measure of intelligence.

"This is a really exciting discovery: that a single letter change leads to a bigger brain," said Thompson.

Going forward, Thompson said, researchers could start to figure out how to mediate these genes' influences on the brain. The genes influence brains across a wide subset of people (mostly of European descent) from North America, Europe and Australia. That means that drug therapies targeting these genes could have broad applications.

The researchers now plan to tackle the genes that influence the brain's wiring, hoping to unravel the secrets of connectivity-related disorders such as autism.

Last edited:

peonyu

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2003
Jewish people [ashkenazi] have the highest IQs of all people so its not like this was a ever a question.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
In related news, scientists revealed that the brains of far-right conservatives exhibited a high prevalence of the trans isomer of the S and D alleles of the TUPI gene. Conversely, the S-TUPI-D configuration was almost entirely absent in liberals.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
In related news, scientists revealed that the brains of far-right conservatives exhibited a high prevalence of the trans isomer of the S and D alleles of the TUPI gene. Conversely, the S-TUPI-D configuration was almost entirely absent in liberals.

haha

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

Leftists keep saying that, what's the matter, feeling down that you haven't figured out a way to overcome us?

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
I don't think there was ever any doubt among rational people that if there are genetic differences that affect all other parts of humans (health, looks, traits, size), it would be highly unlikely that there aren't also genetic differences that affect intelligence.

Of course, racists will try to misuse that kind of information to justify their racism, and political correctness prevents any rational discussion of this type of stuff.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
Leftists keep saying that, what's the matter, feeling down that you haven't figured out a way to overcome us?

Leftists will never overcome right-wingers, and vice-versa... for at least a couple reasons:

1. Everyone needs a nemesis.

2. Societies ruled by a single ideology are not long-lived.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000

Interesting the the study was done by liberals

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005

I feel a lot like Cassandra must have felt. And there's no way to fix it because in the U.S. even really stupid people get to vote.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

From what I see your party is circling the drain now and is going to be further exacerbated by going even further to the Right if that's even possible. ;)

Puddle Jumper

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009
Most scientific research is done by liberals. See if you can figure out the reason.

Part of the reason may be the fact that conservatives would rather make more money in the private sector instead of going into academia.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Part of the reason may be the fact that conservatives would rather make more money in the private sector instead of going into academia.

For the sake of argument, let's say your statement is correct. If you look at page 34 of this Pew study, you'll see that scientists are liberal over conservative by a 55 to 9 margin. That's a pretty amazing disparity. Then on what basis can conservatives presume to engage in debate on scientific matters? If you choose money over research, then stay out of the way and let the educated people determine what's true.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
For the sake of argument, let's say your statement is correct. If you look at page 34 of this Pew study, you'll see that scientists are liberal over conservative by a 55 to 9 margin. That's a pretty amazing disparity. Then on what basis can conservatives presume to engage in debate on scientific matters? If you choose money over research, then stay out of the way and let the educated people determine what's true.

Typically, I'm happy to leave scientific debates to scientists. But to the extent the science becomes politicized, it ceases to be objective, and therefore ceases to be science.

Such is the case with global warming.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I feel a lot like Cassandra must have felt. And there's no way to fix it because in the U.S. even really stupid people get to vote.

There is a way to fix it. Surrender the iron throne of the federal government, let states resume their capacity to find diverse solutions to their own problems. You don't have to beat Republicans when you can avoid Republicans.

Then, if your polices are so good as you claim, your state(s) will be prosperous and our states will be begging you for your wealth and then modeling ourselves in your image.

You win by succeeding, but you cannot succeed with us at your throat. So don't try. Avoid the federal government and you can circle around to win everything in the long run. That is, if your polices are truly better.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
I find it interesting that the researchers in question somewhat assume autism is a brain defect. When many "idiot savants" do in fact have full blown autism. As other studies assert Albert Einstein suffered from a form of autism.

But still, with tools like MRI brain scans, for the first time in history, we can see in some vague detail, how different human brains think about the same problem. And its not the size of the brain, its how the brain is wired. Overall, its a new science only in its early infancy.

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
Typically, I'm happy to leave scientific debates to scientists. But to the extent the science becomes politicized, it ceases to be objective, and therefore ceases to be science.

Such is the case with global warming.

That was the case with the discovery that the Earth rotated around the sun back in 1615, and the conservatives went after the scientist who realized the Earth wasn't the center of the universe.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
There is a way to fix it. Surrender the iron throne of the federal government, let states resume their capacity to find diverse solutions to their own problems. You don't have to beat Republicans when you can avoid Republicans.

Then, if your polices are so good as you claim, your state(s) will be prosperous and our states will be begging you for your wealth and then modeling ourselves in your image.

You win by succeeding, but you cannot succeed with us at your throat. So don't try. Avoid the federal government and you can circle around to win everything in the long run. That is, if your polices are truly better.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IMHO, your remedy does not compute Jaskalas, individual US States are no better than a Federal government in making such decisions. That often have to be nationwide anyway.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
That was the case with the discovery that the Earth rotated around the sun back in 1615, and the conservatives went after the scientist who realized the Earth wasn't the center of the universe.

Yeah, it reminds of of the global cooling scare too.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IMHO, your remedy does not compute Jaskalas, individual US States are no better than a Federal government in making such decisions. That often have to be nationwide anyway.

Oh I think they definitely are, if for no other reason than they have more representatives per capita statewide.

You're essentially making an argument against democracy.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005

That's fine, and I have no problem with listening to scientists when it comes to matters of science. I have no interest in listening to them in matters of politics, and unfortunately a lot of science topic have now gotten intertwined in politics.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
That's fine, and I have no problem with listening to scientists when it comes to matters of science. I have no interest in listening to them in matters of politics, and unfortunately a lot of science topic have now gotten intertwined in politics.

But a lot of politicians want to make policy decisions that should be based on scientific knowledge while simultaneously ignoring science. A lot of time you'll have politicians attack science if it differs from their political agenda. I do see these attacks on science occur far more often from the political right, but they're not completely absent from the left either.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000

I admit, this was funny and creative and I got a laugh. However I also think this post may be at fault for the immediate left vs right argument that sprang up. How about we all avoid being the first to take a non partisan topic and turn it partisan?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I admit, this was funny and creative and I got a laugh. However I also think this post may be at fault for the immediate left vs right argument that sprang up. How about we all avoid being the first to take a non partisan topic and turn it partisan?

Well we do already know from incipient brain research going on elsewhere that liberals and conservatives react differently to information, for example that the conservative brain is anti science, clingi-to-Mommy when faced with new experience, and reacts fearfully to situations., which we can see all over this thread.

Two posts after Shira's remark we get: "Leftists keep saying that, what's the matter, feeling down that you haven't figured out a way to overcome us?",and a poster whom I have identified for years as one of the most fear possessed of folk who post here.

Or take a look at this: for an inability to logically reason: "Interesting the the study was done by liberals" Here is a partisan retort of the first order flat out declaring the mental state of scientists who don't even exist regarding a study that is totally fictitious but creatively humorous."

Or take this peach of conservative illogical truthiness: "That's fine, and I have no problem with listening to scientists when it comes to matters of science. I have no interest in listening to them in matters of politics, and unfortunately a lot of science topic have now gotten intertwined in politics." Here we see the conservative war on science in full bloom. The poster has no trouble with science that does not challenge his bigoted ideas but whats none of it when it does, implying that liberal science is political, and not a means to find truth anywhere, even in political science.

Someday we may discover the deluded and illogical thinking of the right is possibly even genetic and if there aren't drugs that can repair the condition.

We already know, for example, that if you get random folk drunk that view things more conservatively when tested, and this makes perfect sense, because when you're drunk you can't think as well as you can when sober. Do not confuse this with a few drinks that may actually limbering the brain by relaxation and a decrease in the fear of self doubt perhaps.

As one final example of the egotism that accompanies the feeling of truthiness, the conservative form of science, we have this: "Part of the reason may be the fact that conservatives would rather make more money in the private sector instead of going into academia." Not a bad choice for folk concerned about their egos and unable to think scientifically, eh, where we see our bankers focused on changing the laws of the land so that all them wealth of the nation flows up into their hands. Let them eat cake isn't science either. It's suicide.