Specialized Rockhopper 50 1990s bike is this still any good?

holden j caufield

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 1999
I'm going to start biking again and want a good sturdy bike. Is a Rockhopper from the 1990s with deore crank for $50 an ok deal or should I wait for a better one. I also have a choice of a Giant bike with front suspension for the same price.

Thanks

Last edited:

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Depends on the condition. Could be good beater for that price, if it's in good shape, and the right size for you. If it needs $100+ in maintenance, not so much. In this price range, you are paying for condition, not brand.

holden j caufield

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 1999
just riding around for errands and stuff instead of driving my car, figure it would be great for getting in shape. Maybe a little bit of mountain biking as there are some good trails here (slow trail riding).

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
What's your budget?

You can get a nice bike for under $1000 easy.

You can probably find a solid bike that fits you (not your needs, it needs to fit you) for under $500

If you drop $50 on the bike as starter bike, learn some basic repairs and stuff on it, then move on....no harm in that either.

holden j caufield

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 1999
mostly just going to ride around the lake with my gf, run some errands etc. I'd like to spend as little as possible on a safe reliable bike.

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
What's your budget?

You can get a nice bike for under $1000 easy.

You can probably find a solid bike that fits you (not your needs, it needs to fit you) for under $500

If you drop $50 on the bike as starter bike, learn some basic repairs and stuff on it, then move on....no harm in that either.

This. I got a nice 24-speed Trek for under $500, and I've been beating on it for five years now.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
$50 bike is good if you are going to lock it up outside the store. No big loss if it gets stolen.
A Rockhopper is a good midrange bike and it's fine for your needs, the main thing is does it fit you and is it in good shape mechanically? Are the wheels true, does it shift well, is it rusty, any creaking, clicking noises, etc. Is it owned by an old geezer who kept it in a garage rode it once a year, or by a college kid who abused it, left it outside in the rain, and never maintained it.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
$50 for a good bike is a no-brainer.

Most will need to soak in PB Blaster for 10 weeks before the crank starts to turn and then breaks.

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Does it have a suspension fork on it? If so that is probably shot. If it is a rigid it is hard to go wrong for $50 assuming the drivetrain is in decent shape.

GrumpyMan

Diamond Member
May 14, 2001
black02.jpg

This one should do nicely.....

GrumpyMan

Diamond Member
May 14, 2001
Yeah I had one too but it was purple with gold flecks in it. Loved that bike..nice Schwinn.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
If it is in good condition that is a good deal. Look for excessive chain and sprocket wear, does it shift through all the gears, do the brakes work, do the tires hold air or do they look rotted out. Also, check for play in the steering head and the crankset. If there is any I wouldn't bother buying the bike as this can cause quite a bit of wear on the bearing races which would require replacing them.

A 90s mountain bike will be ancient technology out on the trails today but for your needs it is a perfectly good bike.

OBLAMA2009

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2008
you dont want a mountain bike for riding on streets. if you spend $350-500 you can get a nice hybrid that youll like so much you wont miss the money. if you spend $1000 you can get a decent road bike. for $2500 you can get a pretty nice road bike

there are lots of things to check on a used bike, esp a moutain bike. are the wheels true, will you need new tires, do the shifters work, is the chain stretched, is it rusty, do you need oil in the shocks etc...even if it has a couple of those problems you cna end up spending $200 and then why not just get a new bike

having said that, if its specialized or giant and it works, its worth $50

Last edited:

jana519

Jul 12, 2014
For just $50, a Specialized Rockhopper is a steal. Specialized makes some premium bikes. Just make sure to inspect the frame for cracks or bends, and make absolutely sure the seat post isn't stuck. Everything else can be fixed DIY.

I disagree with the above - mountain bikes make great all-weather commuters. Even if you have a $500 hybrid, it's still a good idea to get a $50 mountain bike as a bad weather/winter backup. I currently commute on a $50 generic hardtail mountain bike. With a set of slick tires almost any mountain bike can be a commuter.

Last edited:

FleshLight

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2004
A 30 year old MTB will be beat to shit if it has been ridden or will need new cables, tires, tubes, hydro fluid, seals on the shocks, and most likely a rebuild on both shocks.

jana519

Jul 12, 2014
A 30 year old MTB will be beat to shit if it has been ridden or will need new cables, tires, tubes, hydro fluid, seals on the shocks, and most likely a rebuild on both shocks.

:confused:

This is a hardtail with no front suspension. Please read the OP.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Did they have full suspension 30 years ago?

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
you dont want a mountain bike for riding on streets. if you spend $350-500 you can get a nice hybrid that youll like so much you wont miss the money. if you spend $1000 you can get a decent road bike. for $2500 you can get a pretty nice road bike

I love my Specialized Hard Rock 29er on the road. It's light and fast, and the Fast Trak tires are great.

there are lots of things to check on a used bike, esp a moutain bike. are the wheels true, will you need new tires, do the shifters work, is the chain stretched, is it rusty, do you need oil in the shocks etc...even if it has a couple of those problems you cna end up spending $200 and then why not just get a new bike

having said that, if its specialized or giant and it works, its worth $50

pretty much.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Did they have full suspension 30 years ago?
I remember seeing a guy with one in the early 90's. Stupid expensive.

Holden, what condition is it in? Would love to find a trek 920 that someone bought, rode for 20 miles total and stored in a garage ever since. Had mine for 12 years and ~15K miles until the bottom bracket cracked. Loved it.

TheAdvocate

Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2005
black02.jpg

This one should do nicely.....

The shifter absolutely makes that thing.

I just cant get behind the idea of a mountain bike as a daily driver. I have a 4 year old Specialized crosstrail hybrid. It's a solid bike, that I have put $125 of upgrades into. To me, the larger wheels and skinny, low resistance tires are a must unless you are doing serious trail riding. I don't think those old Rockhoppers had 29s.

That said, you can mod almost anything you buy into what you want, albeit at a price.

Last edited:

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
With any used bike you buy, flip it upside down and spin the wheels. Check the wheels for balance and make sure none of the spokes are way out. If you see the wheel wobble too much between the brakes to suggest the rims are out, move along. Replacing tires can be $20ish....replacing wheelsets are about $100. You can sometimes get the spokes adjusted by a shop, but it's more of an art than a science and occasionally spoke threads get stripped after they get so old.

Specialized is a good brand. The frames and components are usually pretty solid. In the late 90s, they were still gaining popularity and growing pretty fast as good mtn bikes.

I've actually put 1.5" road tires on my mtn bike and dropped the velociraptor tires I used to have on it. It rides much smoother now and I have a backup wheelset for when I want to change it out for off roading.