Spec OPS: The Line

UNhooked

Golden Member
Jan 21, 2004
Just finished playing it...Absolutely recommended. One really nice story. Had the same feeling after I finished playing BioShock.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Hmm, I didn't think it was that good, just a normal shooter on rails, with a above average story.
The decisions you could make in the game don't really have that big of a outcome, and the one spot where a decision could have made a huge impact, they force you to do it their way.
It also has practically zero replay value.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Actually if you replay the game, you can see a lot more little details in retrospect,
for example walkers hallucinations comes in 2 different colors: one is black and one is white. The white ones are his "idealized" version while the black ones are reality, so on and so forth. I also like mindfuck stories a lot, so this is right up my alley. :)

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Is this worth the $30 on Steam? Been seeing and hearing about it, and was wondering if it was something more than another boring Call of Battlefield clone.

UNhooked

Golden Member
Jan 21, 2004
Got it for $7.49 during one of GreenmanGaming sale events. Well worth it if you ask me.

UPDATE: Sorry got it from Amazon. They currently have it for $19.99 and it activates on Steam

Last edited:

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Is this worth the $30 on Steam? Been seeing and hearing about it, and was wondering if it was something more than another boring Call of Battlefield clone.

Yes, it is definitely "something more" than another CoD/Battlefield clone.

Don't read anything too detailed about it online, to avoid spoiling it. Just go in and play it without knowing anything. The storyline - without giving it away too much - is very surprising.

Dare I say it's one of the most under-appreciated games of 2012. It's been praised as having one of the best storylines in a military shooter, but unfortunately most people will never know this because it just looks extremely generic on the surface.

Buy it on GamersGate right now for $7.49. Activates on your Steam account. http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-SOTL/spec-ops-the-line

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Yes, it is definitely "something more" than another CoD/Battlefield clone.

Don't read anything too detailed about it online, to avoid spoiling it. Just go in and play it without knowing anything. The storyline - without giving it away too much - is very surprising.

Dare I say it's one of the most under-appreciated games of 2012. It's been praised as having one of the best storylines in a military shooter, but unfortunately most people will never know this because it just looks extremely generic on the surface.

Buy it on GamersGate right now for $7.49. Activates on your Steam account. http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-SOTL/spec-ops-the-line

Awesome, thank, just bought it.

tdawg

Platinum Member
May 18, 2001
Genuinely curious, is gamersgate.com legit or is it selling international keys that threaten to bring a account ban from steam?

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Genuinely curious, is gamersgate.com legit or is it selling international keys that threaten to bring a account ban from steam?

Yep, GamersGate is a legit retailer, and not a "grey market" foreign key reseller. They've been around for a long time and I've purchased a lot of stuff from them.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002

They are a UK based company IIRC.
I never heard of anyone getting banned for using them, I think that only applies to asian or eastern block countries.

I got it from Amazon for $2.50 (has the $5 editor's choice coupon), can't really complain that much about the game at that price.