Spec me a gaming PC £450

Red_Stafford

Jan 19, 2013
Hi all, my friend is looking for a PC he has £450 to spend and he will be using it for downloading, watching films and gaming he already has a LCD TV in his room so HDMi connectivity would be needed, he has been looking at PCs off the shelf but I have told him it would be better for me to custom build one, so guys n girls with your help this is what we are hoping to achieve, also can you advise the cheapest shops to look at buying the parts from.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Red_Stafford

Jan 19, 2013
Soz but I'm on my phone so can't look at page the same time as posting, UK, 1080p, he has he's own keyboard mouse etc, he will want good graphics but I don't suppose he requires the best just the best he can afford for £450

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Ebuyer, Amazon, Scan, Overclockers, Aria etc.

Something like i3 3220, HD7850 and some RAM and HDD and a case.
An H61 motherboard should be enough, or B75 if you want a more recent chipset, but it's also more expensive. You can get Asus/MSI/Gigabyte H61 motherboards for around £40 for an mATX board, and there's probably not much need for anything more than that if it's for fairly basic use.

The HD7850 is better value than any NV cards in a similar price point in the UK.

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
Soz but I'm on my phone so can't look at page the same time as posting, UK, 1080p, he has he's own keyboard mouse etc, he will want good graphics but I don't suppose he requires the best just the best he can afford for £450

Do you need a Windows license? That will make a huge difference in the overall build at this budget.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Ok guys he might be willing to spend a little more as he has been looking at this one http://www.envizage.com/products/computers-gaming-amd-based/pc---[amd1387]--amd-fx8150-eight-core-gaming-computer--32gb-ram-3tb-hdd--dvd--ati-radeon-hd.html

What's your thoughts on the above, would it be better to build one for him or is that a good offer?
That computer is for someone who likes to run a lot of apps at the same time, watch a little HD video, and do very light gaming, not for serious gaming.

FX-8150 is the 1st generation Bulldozer. Not good in demanding games because games do not use that many "cores"(the correct term is modules). Not to mention each individual module is slower than their i5 counterpart.
RAM is 1333 Mhz and 32 GB will totally not be filled. You can get away with 8 or 16 GB no problem.
Graphics cards SUCKS. The 6450 is a card for low-power, light usage like HTPCs. It will pay to be educated about the nomenclature of GPUs.

http://www.videocardcomparisons.com/reviews/ati-radeon-naming-scheme-explained/
The current series nomenclature begins with the HD prefix followed by the series generation as the first digit and the next three digits signifying the rank and quality of the card. The higher the numbers the better. For example, the Radeon HD 7990 is the current top end card while the Radeon HD 7750 is a mid range solution.
This can seem confusing at first but to put it is easily broken down into easier to understand and more specific terms. For example, the three digits ending from 000-390 represent the lowest performance graphics card. These are generally integrated video cards used in OEM or business only systems. The next step up is the 400-590 range which are primarily aimed at the budget oriented consumer.

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
Ok guys he might be willing to spend a little more as he has been looking at this one http://www.envizage.com/products/computers-gaming-amd-based/pc---[amd1387]--amd-fx8150-eight-core-gaming-computer--32gb-ram-3tb-hdd--dvd--ati-radeon-hd.html

What's your thoughts on the above, would it be better to build one for him or is that a good offer?

The person who decided to call that machine a "gaming computer" should be taken out back and shot. When evaluating a gaming computer, the first place to look is at the graphics card.

Taking into account current platforms and your friend's budget, reject any machine that doesn't have one of the following graphics cards:

GTX 660
GTX 660 Ti
GTX 670
GTX 680

Sleepingforest

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 2012
hi, guys, have you ever heard this website? they give me a coupon, can be 80% off. is it true? can you help me make sure? you see: spam link removed

I think it's safe to say this guy is a bot. 11 posts, all of which are basically 2 copy/pasted chunks of text with dodgy links.

Last edited by a moderator:

Red_Stafford

Jan 19, 2013
You pretty much have the same appinion as me I think they are just using cheap branded hardware and trying to impress customers with big numbers on the ram and hdd... So if he stretched to just over £500 what would u guys suggest

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Red_Stafford

Jan 19, 2013
I would take the build I posted above and replace the CPU and GPU with these parts:

i5 3470 £148
7870 £171

OK cheers, so the same mb and also will the psu be okay with the extra power of the graphics card..... I was also thinking would it be better to have a ssd instead of the hdd as his boot up drive and then when he needs to add more space add a 2nd drive I was just thinking of boot up speeds and performance speeds of the ssd over the hdd as the main boot up drive or would the 1tb hdd be fine

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
Well, a CX430 doesn't have the necessary connectors for a 7870. Would need to use adapters... if you want to avoid that, get a 500W unit like CX500 or XFX 550w.

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
OK cheers, so the same mb and also will the psu be okay with the extra power of the graphics card..... I was also thinking would it be better to have a ssd instead of the hdd as his boot up drive and then when he needs to add more space add a 2nd drive I was just thinking of boot up speeds and performance speeds of the ssd over the hdd as the main boot up drive or would the 1tb hdd be fine

I wouldn't go for an SSD on this budget. You need to focus on the CPU and GPU.

Well, a CX430 doesn't have the necessary connectors for a 7870. Would need to use adapters... if you want to avoid that, get a 500W unit like CX500 or XFX 550w.

That's true, but it does have plenty of actual power available.

Red_Stafford

Jan 19, 2013
So do you guys prefer the 7870 over the GTX660 I've been reading a lot of people preferring the 660 do to all the options that can be enabled in games room improve the graphics

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
So do you guys prefer the 7870 over the GTX660 I've been reading a lot of people preferring the 660 do to all the options that can be enabled in games room improve the graphics[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what that means.

Anyway, the GTX 660 and 7870 are pretty much on par, with the GTX 660 being slightly faster (~5%) on average. However, the GTX 660 is roughly 20 pounds more than the 7870, which puts it over your budget.

Puppies04

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2011
You might be able to squeeze an unlocked I5 if you wait for a decent "no brainer" deal at scan. They have one on this weekend but it has a 2TB HDD which is pushing the price up a bit.