speakers black and red cables.

Solodays

Jun 26, 2003
are these black and red speaker cables all the same or are there higher quality speakers cables? like tv's have all type low to high quality cables like composite, s-video , hdmi and so on. what about speaker cables, i recently brought a new speakers and wanna know if there are higher quality cables out there since my speaker only have black and red input on the back.

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
hehe...don't worry, that's about all you'll find in some form or another. But you have no idea the can of worms you just opened. :D

Rastus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Don't waste your money buying speaker cables. At audio frequencies, loss is insignificant for the length of speaker cables for a home, regardless of what salesmen want to tell you.

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Copper is copper. You can pay more and perhaps get a more pure copper but for the most part the copper has no effect whatsoever on the sound.

PurdueRy

Lifer
Nov 12, 2004
Actually there can be a difference depending on how long of lengths you are running and the current running through the cable. What speakers and how long is the longest run you have to make?

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: PurdueRy
Actually there can be a difference depending on how long of lengths you are running and the current running through the cable. What speakers and how long is the longest run you have to make?

I doubt hes running speaker cables to the next county.

PurdueRy

Lifer
Nov 12, 2004
Originally posted by: Specop 007

It is generally recommended a minimum of 16 gauge be used. Like was said before, go get some 14 gauge from HD and you'll be set

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Specop 007

It is generally recommended a minimum of 16 gauge be used. Like was said before, go get some 14 gauge from HD and you'll be set

Your welcome. :)

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
Monster Cables pwn all other cables. Don't buy anything except Monster.

;) j/k

I just get speaker cable from Home Depot or Menards. Can get a big 100' spool for like $15 or so. Just guessing since I haven't bought any for quite a while.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Yes.

Black and red mean a big deal.

black to black, red to red.

As far as speaker cables go - 12 gauge stranded is fine for all but the most demanding of applications.

ASK THE COMMUNITY