Speaker wire question

Jul 11, 2001
This may sound dumb but I gotta ask. People can spend a lot on speaker wiring, I've seen stuff about that. My ears are so so, 50% attenuation above 3k hz, tinnitus too. I have some old Realistic Nova-16 speakers that haven't been used for a while, want to set up B speakers in kitchen, facing 90 degrees from the front ones, supporting a 4K display/TV. The speakers are probably a lot better looking than they sound - just 8" woofers and a dinky tweeter and a crossover. Last week I repaired the foam surround on one that had gone to hell.

To wire these speakers I have bought an A/B switch to switch between the Realistic

I have an old 100' extension cord that's 2 wires, IOW the plug is the old fashioned kind = |....|, not I....|.

I saved that 100' cord thinking it might be used for speaker wire. Sensible?

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
As long as one end doesn't get plugged in the wall, its wire and should work. For small speakers I tend to use a cheap flat wire that is easy to conceal in carpet like 18 gauge zip cord.

Jul 11, 2001
As long as one end doesn't get plugged in the wall, its wire and should work. For small speakers I tend to use a cheap flat wire that is easy to conceal in carpet like 18 gauge zip cord.
This is my kitchen, so floor is linoleum. I already have two-conductor cord going up to the ceiling and then down the opposite wall to support a couple of mega-disc CD players, so I plan to run the B-speaker wire to the left channel right next to that.

The run to the left speaker is going to be about 30 feet. To the Right speaker, a little less, maybe 20 feet.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS