*Spawned* For those that have had corrective eye surgery please read

StrangeRanger

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
This question was spawned from me reading that other thread. I'm looking for some real world responses about corrective eye surgery. What type did you have? How have your results been? How long has it been? How bad were your eyes? Are there any side effects or regrets that you have?

My eyes are horrible. Basically blind in one eye from a motor cycle accident (I know that won't get fixed), and the other one is just wicked near sighted. I don't know what it means, but the little number on the bottle my contact comes in says like -8.5. Is there hope? I'd love to see the clock when I wake up in the morning :)
j

crystal

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 1999
Pick a place you like to do it and go in there and do a consulation. Most place are free. Good luck.

MomAndSkoorbaby

Diamond Member
May 6, 2001
StrangeRanger

I hear you baby, I hear you. I was -7.0 in both eyes. I wore contact lens for about 11 years and I hated them. I hated waking up in the mornings and not seeing and not being able to do the things I wanted to do comfortably. Not to mention "marriage relations" without SEEING! LMAO

Anyhow, I had PRK done last summer. Without a doubt, it was the best thing I have ever done in my life. Now at one year later, I have not one complaint to make. Not even a little one! No night vision problems, no nothing. Mind you, I was at low risk for that anyhow.

Actually, my only complaint is that I did not do it sooner. Feel free to PM me and I will give you a full rundown on the surgery. The first 24 hours were NOT fun. I repeat, they were NOT fun. I would do it once a month though, to keep this vision.

:)

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
a good friend of mine back home had it done over two years ago. he loves it. never had a problem with it at all.

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
Originally posted by: MrsSkoorb
StrangeRanger

Anyhow, I had PRK done last summer. Without a doubt, it was the best thing I have ever done in my life.
:)

What does PRK stand for?
Why did you pick PRK over Lasik?
Are there other surgeries you're aware of?
How much did it cost?

Thanks!

I'm getting kind of excited about possibly doing this :)

ttn1

Oct 24, 2000
Quick optics lesson. For near-sighted people, distant objects focus in front of the retina. This requires a divergent or negative power lens to correct. For far-sighted people, distant objects focus behind the retina. The retina is the place in the back of the eye that detects light and forms the image for your brain to interpret.

The -8.5 is the power of the lens in diopters/dioptres. This practical unit of power is just 1/focal length, when the focal length is expressed in meters. The focal length is the point at which an image of a distant object would form. The minus says that you are near-sighted. The -8.5 diopter lens along with the lens built into your eye work together to image distant object properly on your retina.

I had a friend with much worse eyesight and he got lasik surgery. I haven't talked to him lately, but soon after he had the surgery he loved it. I think he still used glasses for driving, but he didn't really need them.

I would really think seriously about this though. Definitely don't go with a bargain basement place when you only have one eye working. Right now you can see. Glasses can be replaced, your eyes can't. I may get lasik one day, but I will wait at least 5 years or so for some decent 5-10 year studies.