Spammers infiltrating forums...

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by Meractik, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Meractik

Meractik Golden Member

2. WelshBloke

WelshBloke Lifer

Just use the report post button.

The mods are pretty good about nuking spam posts quickly.

3. ViRGE

ViRGE Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus

We do have technical measures in place, but the most prolific spammers know how to get past them and anything else a human can erect. Technical measures can't really beat a 3rd-worlder who is is being paid (and hence highly motivated) to post their crap.

So when those measures don't work, as WelshBloke notes, you should report those posts and we'll get on them.:)

4. Meractik

Meractik Golden Member

Report post button?!?!! OMG... that is what that little red/white exclamation point is for?!? haha, I learned something new today.

5. DrPizza

DrPizza Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
    Administrator

I found the posts you were talking about & nuked them. Thanks. Report post works much faster. We don't always read every single post in every single thread.

6. Sulaco

Sulaco Diamond Member

Neither of those links still show the spammers.

But I've been meaning to ask, I've noticed a number of new members that join and post 1-3 word replies to everything, seemingly at random, in threads.

"cool"

"i like it"

"Nope"

"lol"

"how?"

..and other drivel churned out. They usually get to like 14 or 15 posts, and then stop (banned?).

I've always been curious...what is this? What's the point? Must they reach a certain number of posts to post links or to spam or something? They usually have awful generic names too, like "west123456" or "shellyb0987" or similar.

I notice them easily at least twice a month or so, but nothing technically "spam" related is posted. But you know where it's headed.

Are these the kinds of posts to report? Spammers, or future spammers?

7. ViRGE

ViRGE Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus

It's potential spam. But many of them never amount to anything. They make a few posts and simply disappear.