Space travel: should we resurrect an old rocket or develop a new one?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: MovingTarget
While were on the subject of new propulsion systems, what does everyone think of the prometheus (I think thats what its called) project ?

In theory I have no problem with it, and in we really do need more energy to get around the solar system. In practice, I don't know. Not because of any technical challenges, but because this would be put up by the folks who brought us Challenger.

Fencer128

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Originally posted by: amok
Originally posted by: povertystruck
Shuttles are a waste of time and money, the space station is a useless expensive piece of space junk.

More money needs to be put into propulsion technology and some for robotics. Controlled fusion should be the top priority, for power on earth and the power needed to really explore space.

Robotics seems like a better investment than a safer shuttle.

Investing large amounts of money for space purposes is wasteful if thoses new found products or technologies have no use for people on earth.
Actually, quite a bit of money IS put into propulsion and robotics technologies. The thing with propulsion is that its mostly theoretical work right now. Big money only needs to go there after we have a feasible and test-worthy design and demonstrate a need for it. For unmanned robotic missions, there is no need for powerful rockets to get our probes there quickly, as they can stay in the radiation hazard we know as space without any difficulty for extended periods of time. More powerful propulsion technologies are only needed if you plan on manned missions. The ISS is basically an experiment in long term human exposure to low and micro g, with some other scientific missions thrown in to pass the time and potentially make a little progress and/or money. We need this if we plan on sending people anywhere outside the range of the moon, or to the moon for extended periods.

As for fusion, there are a ton of people working in this field. Throwing more money at it (there is already a lot there) MAY speed things up, but that isn't a guarantee. Besides, fission power is more than acceptable for space (like the radiation matters in that environment).

I would take issue with you on the statement in bold. The problem is getting it up there. I don't like the idea of exploding rockets containing nuclear material. Sure, it's been done with probes in the past, but I'm not confident enough that if we were to make it more of a regular thing the 1 in 100 explosive odds might not get the better of us and start to warm up the background radiation over certain areas.

Cheers,

Andy

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
PORK, scrap the whole program. We did this when it was undiscovered, to make ICBMs and other missle tech, and we were rich. Today it's 15B welfare for scientists and serves no purpose and we are in debt to our ears. Let privates do it and defense industry for sats and such.

Jan 12, 2003
Originally posted by: Zebo
PORK, scrap the whole program. We did this when it was undiscovered, to make ICBMs and other missle tech, and we were rich. Today it's 15B welfare for scientists and serves no purpose and we are in debt to our ears. Let privates do it and defense industry for sats and such.

Wow, we finally see eye-to-eye on a subject, Zebo :)

America always wants to be the first/best at everything we do, which, in my opinion, drives innovation and productivity. However, the space shuttle, given the size of the budget and the inherent inefficiencies government bureaucracy places on the program, should be the one exception. The Japanese are looking to their space program to provide a cheap and efficient means to manufacture on the moon and in space in general. We, conversely, like to send the first African American to space, then the first school teacher, the first monkey, the first senior citizen, etc...given the cost of fuel, I believe we would get a higher return-on-investment leaving the astronauts (not monkeys and school teachers) in space for 6 months to 1 year, minimum...perform the tests they want to do...come home when the value of the data/experiments/testing outweigh the costs of deployment. In the private sector, this would be the case.

XCLAN

Platinum Member
Mar 22, 2001
Originally posted by: xxxxxJohnGaltxxxxx

America always wants to be the first/best at everything we do, which, in my opinion, drives innovation and productivity. However, the space shuttle, given the size of the budget and the inherent inefficiencies government bureaucracy places on the program, should be the one exception. The Japanese are looking to their space program to provide a cheap and efficient means to manufacture on the moon and in space in general. We, conversely, like to send the first African American to space, then the first school teacher, the first monkey, the first senior citizen, etc...given the cost of fuel, I believe we would get a higher return-on-investment leaving the astronauts (not monkeys and school teachers) in space for 6 months to 1 year, minimum...perform the tests they want to do...come home when the value of the data/experiments/testing outweigh the costs of deployment. In the private sector, this would be the case.

I think thats is the first thing I have read from Galt that I agree with.....:p

amok

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999

While there is no denying that NASA overspends, private industry just isn't ready yet to do all our space work. It costs too much to start up in the business. As for leaving people up there for a year at a time, we have no idea what kind of effect that will have on human physiology (well, maybe some idea, but we're still trying to develop working countermeasures). Long term stays in space are one of the things being studied on the ISS, as well as methods for reducing the degradation astronauts experience. On top of that, space based construction is still in its infancy, and we haven't yet even begun to test manufacturing techniques. The only entity really capable of paying for these necessary types of research is the government. Call it scientific welfare if you want, but the government will always need to finance the projects with the really big price tags. IMO, space exploration and utilization will eventually pay itself off a thousand fold, so its worth the up front costs.

amok

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
By the way, I'm also a bit surprised that nobody has brought up the space elevator yet ;). While this construct has always been the realm of sci-fi, its actually a very feasible possibility. NIAC has conducted a Phase I study, and is currently funding the materials science research necessary to make it a reality. Assuming that research pans out (and every indication so far is that it will), an operational space elevator capable of lifting 5 tons into orbit daily could be operational in about 15 years at a price tag of $10B. The price for getting a pound of cargo into orbit using this system is pegged at $100 (compared to $10-40K).

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Originally posted by: amok

While there is no denying that NASA overspends, private industry just isn't ready yet to do all our space work. It costs too much to start up in the business. As for leaving people up there for a year at a time, we have no idea what kind of effect that will have on human physiology (well, maybe some idea, but we're still trying to develop working countermeasures). Long term stays in space are one of the things being studied on the ISS, as well as methods for reducing the degradation astronauts experience. On top of that, space based construction is still in its infancy, and we haven't yet even begun to test manufacturing techniques. The only entity really capable of paying for these necessary types of research is the government. Call it scientific welfare if you want, but the government will always need to finance the projects with the really big price tags. IMO, space exploration and utilization will eventually pay itself off a thousand fold, so its worth the up front costs.

Well said, amok. NASA needs to change, but we should not scale back our vision/efforts in space. Although we arent seeing too many short-term benifits from space exploration, long term, it will pay off and then some. However, even though the government is the ony game in town for real space capability, I feel we should try to change that by supporting such efforts as the X-Prize, which should also foster some new technological breakthroughs by the time it is won.

As for the space elevator, that idea is still a ways off from any implementation, but its worth looking into for now. The idea seems sound, but the technology for building/operating one still has a way to go.

amok

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Well said, amok. NASA needs to change, but we should not scale back our vision/efforts in space. Although we arent seeing too many short-term benifits from space exploration, long term, it will pay off and then some. However, even though the government is the ony game in town for real space capability, I feel we should try to change that by supporting such efforts as the X-Prize, which should also foster some new technological breakthroughs by the time it is won.

As for the space elevator, that idea is still a ways off from any implementation, but its worth looking into for now. The idea seems sound, but the technology for building/operating one still has a way to go.
I agree with you totally that we should encourage private industry through undertakings like the X-Prize. While I doubt any revolutionary technologies will come of it (cost!!), there are definite possibilities for viable evolutionary tech.

As for the space elevator, I would have dismissed it too, if it hadn't been brought to my attention by a guy that I went to school with as an undergrad. He's no crackpot, and he's went over the Phase I findings and ISR's speculations, and believes it has a real shot. The kicker is that it will be privately financed, so IMO that makes it a much more likely option, as it can't be deterred through political whim. Anyways, I've found the link to ISR. You can read their proposals for yourself.