Space Sims....inc: Freelancer poll!

thornc

Golden Member
Nov 29, 2000
Just finished playing the Freelancer demo... after playing it and reading all the reviews and opinnions around I'm now in big doubts
about buying it(yes I buy games!!)! Hence the poll....

Anyway this leads me to Space Sims, after reading some review I think that I'm not alone in thinking that we really need the new Elite!!
Something with good graphics, great gameplay, a good story and many different types of ships and weapons. Of course that a bit of realism like Elite would be welcome, I still can't understand why the hell all ships in Freelancer have the same speed!?!

Anyone know of a good space sim coming out soon??

kleinesarschloch

Jan 18, 2003
i liked it for about 2 weeks, before i realized just how horribly repetitive the game is. once you reach lvl 38 there is nothing else to do. there are unique weapons, but they are mostly unique by name and visual apperance. enemies are pretty weak and predictable. the universe is HUGE, but anywhere you go you seem to be talking to the same people and doing the same missions. all in all, a big dissapointment. so, no, i would not purchase it again. i could have had a better time with the $50 ;)

Spyro

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2001
I play Vegastrike.

Since its free, probably wouldn't hurt to give it a try. Its a nice game [/understatement], but I wouldn't quite say that it is *better* than Freelancer though, but it will be after multiplayer support has been added. BTW, its open source and missions are scripted in python (pretty much all the in game stuff is), so it really wouldn't be too hard to assist in.

Glitchny

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2002
i think it got repitive in the demo but its a nice game and a kid in my hall is addicted to it

You do realize that you spell poll POOl right? twice even

EDIT: whoops didnt mean to quote you there, just didnt really pay attention, no need ot get testy with the remarks about quoteing and replying, i do know the difference in the buttons... sheesh

Spyro

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2001
i think it got repitive in the demo but its a nice game and a kid in my hall is addicted to it
Demo????? Ummmm, dude, are you talking about Freelancer or Vegastrike? Vegastrike is free, and it is also a work in progress.

You do realize that you spell poll POOl right? twice even
Huh??? :confused:

Edit: There is a difference between reply and quote.

flashbacck

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2001
Freelancer kinda reminds me of Independence War 2. Both gorgeous games and it feels like they put effort into it in the beginning, but then it's like they get lazy and half@ss it. The story in freelancer is fine, some of the story missions can get exciting. But after that, you're stuck with nothing! The missions you get from NPCs or the mission computer are almost EXACTLY the same ALL THE TIME! It's always a "go here, and kill this" mission. The economy in freelancer doesn't change either. So once you find a good trade route, you can just repeat endlessly. And for some reason, all the ships have the exact same acceleration and top speed. Turrets are also incapable of firing on their own (as opposed to IW2, where you couldn't turn off your turrets!). After finishing the story (10-15hrs?) I played for a few more hrs to get a new ship and fly around. But after that I just quit.

The absolutely best part about freelancer are the graphics. I have never seen nebulas, debris fields and astroid fields so well done.

Unfortunately I think the only hope for Freelancer is either 1) have MS establish a PERMENANT online server where many MANY players can play and not fear their pilots getting deleted. 2) an amazing expansion pack that adds mission variety, makes the economy vary and actually makes the ships vary. or 3) some amazing group of guys get together and mod it.

Anyway, to answer your question about the new "elite" I think there are some people working on remaking elite and also making an elite3. Um, I don't have the links right now, but I'll find em...

thornc

Golden Member
Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by: GlitchnyYou do realize that you spell poll POOl right? twice even

Correct the spelling.... thanks....!

So it seems that we have mixed feelings here, I played the demo a little more and I found a fre more bases and that Area21 zone...
the game still can be interesting...

thornc

Golden Member
Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by: flashbacck
Anyway, to answer your question about the new "elite" I think there are some people working on remaking elite and also making an elite3. Um, I don't have the links right now, but I'll find em...

Here it is!
I already know that they're thinking of releasing a new one!

I play Vegastrike.
Interesting, downloading it right now!!