Space Above and Beyond??

The Wildcard

Platinum Member
Oct 31, 1999
Anybody watch this short lived one season show? Wasn't it great? Who was your favorite character and episode?

I like Wang cuz of his last minute heroic move in the last episdoe. The last episode was also my favorite. I also like the episode when Coup went on that secret assasin mission with another soldier who was a major.

Sykus

Oct 13, 1999
excellent show, such a disappointment when it was cancelled. favorite episode would prolly be "kick butts" where they play paintball and get smacked. fav character would be the 'tank' dude, cuz i can identify with him a little. either him or the guy who had to let his woman go alone to the colonies.

The Wildcard

Platinum Member
Oct 31, 1999
Hmm oh yeah that was the episode when they had that weird colonel guy who wanted to go on that secret mission. Oh another good episode was the one when Colonel McQueen went one on one with that Chig special aircraft and destroyed it.

MisterM

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Your talking about the episode with the pancakes at the end, aren`t you? That`s my favorite episode. :)
I really liked the series, it`s beeing shown again on german television now, I`ll try to see every episode now. :)

BTW:
What is the song called that the Butts guy was playing when he was beeing sucked into the black hole? I can`t remember the songs name! :Q

Handle

Oct 16, 1999
I liked it too, but it was too short lived for me to get really attached to it.

The Wildcard

Platinum Member
Oct 31, 1999
Oh yeah that song, haha i still have that episode recorded. They still show Space Above and Beyond on the Sci-Fi channel but i don't get cable, so...

RaDragon

Diamond Member
May 23, 2000
Space Above and Beyond was a great drama/sci-fi program that was unfortunately a little too early for its time... It'd be cool if they try to revive it -- obviously use additional characters. :)

Windogg

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Yea, the budget was just too big for primetime TV. Its a shame that the Wing Commander movie has probably killed any enthusiasm for such a concept.

Windogg

The Wildcard

Platinum Member
Oct 31, 1999
Yeah it did have too high of a budget. All those kick ass cgi effects must have cost alot. They had alot of them for every episode. It would be cool if they brought the show back, but of course, all the characters are all gone. well you still have the coup and the other guy, along with the colonel.........but he lost his leg, so i don't think he'll be back.

Daedalus

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
I liked that show too.
Isn't the gent who played McQueen on Malcom in the Middle now?

ltk007

Banned
Feb 24, 2000
Yeah it was awesome. I completely forget everything about it though. I just remember how cool I thought every episode was.

Oh yeah, on the last episode there was something about cloaking.

Sykus

Oct 13, 1999
i dunno if it's proper to throw this in here, but got any predictions on james cameron's new tv series coming out? it looks to have a mighty budget as well.

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The concept of the show was great, and the story was fairly interesting. The big problem I had with the show was that they obviously did not have anyone doing military advice for the show since the small unit tactics were ridiculously stupid and the overall military weaponry was pathetic (no squad support weapons, no grenades that I remember, no artillery support).

It was like my reaction to Starship Troopers, which completely butchered the awesome weaponry from the book.

The show did have some good stories and characters, but that part bugged me. :)

helloworld

Banned
Mar 22, 2000
Awhile ago (like three years) after the show ended, I bought all of episodes on tapes from someone. If anyone would like these tapes, just lmk, they're sitting in my closet.

-:(

The Wildcard

Platinum Member
Oct 31, 1999
Hahahm yup, yup AndrewR. It's like in starship troopers, anybody think of maybe, a tank? hahaha. At least in space above beyond they had one tank, like it was in one episode when the guys, along with mcqueen were stranded with this one tank and his operator. that was the episode when wang admitted to breaking and admitting to that AI that he was a war criminal.

kabelogo

Banned
Dec 1, 1999
Armour was much better than Starship Troopers, but I agree. The movie lacked the great weapons man had at the time to fight the bugs.

FiddleDD

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 1999
my nickname as a teenage girl was "space" I still don't know what that meant

Rellik

Apr 24, 2000
The show really was great. I have almost every episode on video.
It was the "baby" of Morgen and Wong, the best writers/producers from
the X-Files. The show costed around 1.8mil dollars per episode. It was
the most expensive show that time. Then DS9 really got expensive. Since they used so much real models! They are WAY better than CGI.

anyway, my favorite character was Vansen, played by Kristen Cloke.
She also starred in my favorite X.File: The Field where i died.
She showed those 2 geeks what acting really means.

As for SAAB, it is sad that so few understood the main concept and the great devellopment between the characters. Most of the time people
just thought it was some plain action series.....

GO Wildcards!

The Wildcard

Platinum Member
Oct 31, 1999
Hmm on a side note, i found out that the people who created the music for Space Above and Beyond also do the music for Adventures of Batman and Superman. If you watch the episodes, you'll find a very distinct similarity.

Mucman

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
btw... the song that was played as that guy got sucked into the black hole was -

I walk the Line (Johny Cash)

MisterM

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Mucman:

Thanks a lot! :) :) :)

I completely forgot about this thread, but Space is on TV again here, so I remembered it! Thanks! :D