Southwest U.S. Heat Dome

Page 20 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Keep thinking there is no Global Warming. It already has affected a horse in NYC.
Carriage horse falls to the ground in Manhattan on hot summer day (msn.com)

This is nothing new sadly .... while many of the carriage-drivers in NYC treat their animals very well, there are all too frequent incidents of abuse and neglect.

Personally I don't think horse-drawn vehicles should be banned in NYC but I do think they should be banned from areas where cars/trucks are allowed and that better treatment of horses needs to be mandated. (ie: shorter hours of service)

De Blasio Is Making Another Push To Ban Horse Carriages In NYC. (Gothamist ~ Nov 2021)

Horse%20Carriage%20riders.JPG

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Still looking at it the wrong way. If every human on the planet died today, this would still be happening, and would still get worse for another ~80 years or so, at which point the situation would plateau.

While it is true that climate change occurs with or without the large influence our massive population is currently adding, the argument is the rate of change.

Based on what I've seen so far it usually happens over millenia not decades.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Notice he is framing it as "more people need to die."

Obviously is not feasible to reduce the population, we can do things to control growth like stop subsidizing it with tax breaks.

I know that is hard to swallow however.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
While it is true that climate change occurs with or without the large influence our massive population is currently adding, the argument is the rate of change.

... Yes, but that has to do with us releasing CO2, not reproducing and consuming water/plant/animal matter.

Reactions: dank69

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Unless we can find a way to live in more sustainable ways with less energy use or at least use more renewable energy, reduce the amount of pollution we create, not to mention our massive piles of garbage streams, humans are doomed.
We already know how to do all of these things, it's just bad for shareholder value*, so we don't do them.

*In the short term, which is all we care about

Reactions: dank69 and Captante

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

You do understand we are making it happen over decades right? Do you accept the increased rate of change is a direct result of human actions?

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
You do understand we are making it happen over decades right? Do you accept the increased rate of change is a direct result of human actions?

All my posts have emphasized how human actions have made it happen faster than normal. 🎬

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
This is nothing new sadly .... while many of the carriage-drivers in NYC treat their animals very well, there are all too frequent incidents of abuse and neglect.

Personally I don't think horse-drawn vehicles should be banned in NYC but I do think they should be banned from areas where cars/trucks are allowed and that better treatment of horses needs to be mandated. (ie: shorter hours of service)

De Blasio Is Making Another Push To Ban Horse Carriages In NYC. (Gothamist ~ Nov 2021)

Horse%20Carriage%20riders.JPG
DeBlasio never went anywhere with that. So I also don't expect any changes during the Adam's administration. It's not just the union that represent the horse owners, the end climate change group are also siding with the horses claiming they are more green than cars.

Reactions: Captante

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Ugh we were forecast to be at 95 with rain today. Nope, we're at fucking 100 with humidity instead of course. Already tied 2011 for second place in count of 100+ days yesterday.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
I'm dying watching this video from RDCworld1 titled "How scientists gonna act when the climate finally messes up the Earth"

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Ugh after a month of pretty decent weather that stupid typhoon that slammed into Alaska pushed a big heat dome back over Texas and we might end up breaking that record for 100 degree days in San Antonio after all (currently at 58 this year with 59 the record, set in 2009). Went to take my dog out a few minutes ago and it was fking hot and humid, 98 with a 103 heat index. Ugh will have this heat dome over us until about next Saturday and it's supposed to be at its worst on Thursday and Friday.

• Wow
Reactions: Roger Wilco