Southwest U.S. Heat Dome

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
My employer has asked me multiple times if I want to move to a position in either Fort Worth, or Orange, Texas. No way would I live in a shithole area like that, and Orange has to be the worst.

Where are you currently?

Drach

Apr 24, 2022
Been getting fucked by this heat dome for a week in San Antonio, and right after having the hottest May ever recorded in the area. Our May was like our typical August and so far our June has been a lot worse than our typical August, with the worst to come this weekend. Our high is supposed to drop to 98 on Wednesday as that dome pushes east but then 100s forecast after all the way to the 24th. Ugh typically would be low 90s in early June.
I hope the grid holds out for you guys.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I still... Don't think it's the same. There is unseasonably hot. This is what you have. Arizona gets hot. Texas gets hot. 10-15 years ago I remember Houston going some crazy number of days over 90. And just ass swamping levels of humidity. You get that stuff.

This thing in the PNW last year...
Fuuuuuuck
90 is hot. We get a dozen a year now.
Above 95 maybe once a year.
Above 100 uhh a once a decade thing.
Above 105 you are talking historic highs.
Above 110 and we just don't have that.

We went 105
And then dunked on things at 118.

That's historic.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Well, we might as well start a little conspiracy theory of our own, just like the Q's do, and claim that the earth (the FLAT earth) is heading for a collision course with the sun. An THAT is why it will be getting so hot. Lets go even further, as the Q's do, and name dates. Lets predict that in December of 2022 it will be 125 degrees in the Dakota's, in Colorado, in Minnesota, in Maine, in New York, in iOwa, in Wyoming, and in Washington state. And as for the southern states, well... we won't have any of those southern states anymore....
But not to be discouraged, at the last minute the clouds will part, and Donald Trump will return in blaze of glory holding the biggest air conditioner you've ever seen in your life, like HUGE, to save the day.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
I still... Don't think it's the same. There is unseasonably hot. This is what you have. Arizona gets hot. Texas gets hot. 10-15 years ago I remember Houston going some crazy number of days over 90. And just ass swamping levels of humidity. You get that stuff.

Fuuuuuuck

We went 105

That's historic.

Yeah 118 in Vancouver is ridiculous, this isn't that crazy. But I promise this level of heat is very very out of the ordinary for Texas. In San Antonio our May average high was 6.6 degrees above normal and 1.1 degrees above the highest ever recorded here (dating back to 1885). 10 days 100+, 3 days at 99, and 2 days at 98 with rain only two days in what is usually a month in the mid 80s to low 90s and rainy is highly unusual. Pretty much all of June has been 7-10 degrees above average and the forecast out to the 25th is all 7-10 degrees above average. Could very well end up the hottest June ever here too. It's not unusual to get the occasional 105 degree day in June but usually it would be over 100 for 3-4 days and then we'd drop back into the mid to low 90s. But our forecast looks pretty awful even as that heat dome moves east, as our lowest forecast day next week is 99. It's just miserable when the heat and humidity is never-ending, not even August is like that most of the time in San Antonio.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Captante

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Yet, here in the PNW, along the Washington coast, we've had record rain. 2 weeks ago, we got more rain from one storm than we normally get for the whole month of May, (we finished way over 2x the average for the month) and so far, we've had more rain this month than we normally get during June..

Looks like we have a couple of days with highs around 62F in the 10 day forecast...but that's it. (along with more rain)

I was going to respond that if I could, I would sent this damn cold air mass that won't go away down there.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
6jcjtw.jpg

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009

Fuuuuuuck

We went 105

That's historic.
With PSE pushing a $24OO rebate, I may just have to get a heat pump heating/air conditioner installed. 10 years ago I could easily put up with a couple weeks of high 80's weather but last few years have been ridiculous. Of course currently, we are stuck in La Nina weather pattern that's rather cool so far this year.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
SW Wisconsin on the Mississippi river. 4 seasons baby.

Then, in spite of the heat and humidity that are normal summer days there...I'd also say "FUCK NO!" to moving to Tex-Ass.

(our son lived in Tomah for a while...nice little town)

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
Then, in spite of the heat and humidity that are normal summer days there...I'd also say "FUCK NO!" to moving to Tex-Ass.

(our son lived in Tomah for a while...nice little town)

Tomah is 20 miles from me. Actually there are plenty of places that you can go without bugs, I am a trail runner so I seek them out. Most dog hikes though I wear a net and spray my arms with bug spray.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Tomah is 20 miles from me. Actually there are plenty of places that you can go without bugs, I am a trail runner so I seek them out. Most dog hikes though I wear a net and spray my arms with bug spray.

Being on the river... LaCrosse?

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
In Egypt right now. Regularly hitting 115f here. I am starting to understand why the rest of the world thinks Americans are spoiled and weak...

• Haha
Reactions: dank69

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Well that part of Texas under ERCOT control (pretty much everything but the El Paso area some parts of the panhandle and far east Texas) is current using 74,708MW. The all time highest demand the state has seen is 74,820MW in August 2019. So not too far from breaking it today as it's 105 in San Antonio currently, will almost surely break it when it's hotter tomorrow.

• Wow
Reactions: iRONic

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
If you were ever in 115 degrees in Eqypt you might think differently.
Went to Furnace Creek Death Valley a couple of years ago. 122F. Bone dry with 20 mph winds that day. It’s like standing in front of a full body blow dryer. It’s scary how hot that is , how it makes your body feel, and how much the rental car was struggling to keep itself and the interior cool.

Reactions: esquared