Southwest U.S. Heat Dome

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
Very dangerous and record breaking temperatures across the southwest U.S.

“Records could be in jeopardy in many major cities, with conditions that could prove downright dangerous for older adults, the homeless and other vulnerable populations.
The National Weather Service has issued excessive heat warnings or heat advisories for more than 30 million residents from the Desert Southwest through California’s Central Valley into the weekend.”

“The heat is all thanks to a dome of high pressure, which is bringing clear skies and hot, dry, sinking air. The jet stream is diverting north of the high, carrying all inclement weather and storminess with it. That allows for copious sunshine, making it possible for sunlight to pour down and heat the ground unimpeded.
The science of heat domes and how drought and climate change make them worse
That heat dome will be centered over the Four Corners region on Saturday but should translate east over the Plains on Sunday and reach the eastern United States by Tuesday. Thereafter it could linger, bringing widespread highs 10 to 15 degrees above normal.”

Reactions: Leeea

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Sweet, headed to the cape for the last week of June so hopefully it lingers over us for most of it.

Reactions: Leeea

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
“The heat is all thanks to a dome of high pressure, which is bringing clear skies and hot, dry, sinking air. The jet stream is diverting north of the high, carrying all inclement weather and storminess with it. That allows for copious sunshine, making it possible for sunlight to pour down and heat the ground unimpeded.
The science of heat domes and how drought and climate change make them worse
Wow, it's almost like maybe we should start to consider possibly doing something about climate change in 10-20 years. If we can get some half-hearted action on it, I'm sure things will be fine.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
relevant:
rgk8jH5.jpeg

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Been getting fucked by this heat dome for a week in San Antonio, and right after having the hottest May ever recorded in the area. Our May was like our typical August and so far our June has been a lot worse than our typical August, with the worst to come this weekend. Our high is supposed to drop to 98 on Wednesday as that dome pushes east but then 100s forecast after all the way to the 24th. Ugh typically would be low 90s in early June.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
So far this year has actually been cooler then normal in my immediate area (Coastal CT) with a lot of overcast days but I seriously doubt it will last.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
weather has been pretty perfect in the northeast here... but i'm sure the oppressive heat and humidity is right around the corner as this NEVER lasts

Reactions: ch33zw1z

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Fuck em…

Well, the redneck magats who support treason are cordially invited to go fuck themselves anyway. The people who vote against them time and time again, who just want fair representation, a grid that works, control over their own genitals? Nahh, one day those people will turn Texas blue, how about we not fuck em.

Edit: Visit Austin sometime if you haven't, fun town with lots of great food and music.

Last edited:

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Yet, here in the PNW, along the Washington coast, we've had record rain. 2 weeks ago, we got more rain from one storm than we normally get for the whole month of May, (we finished way over 2x the average for the month) and so far, we've had more rain this month than we normally get during June..

Looks like we have a couple of days with highs around 62F in the 10 day forecast...but that's it. (along with more rain)

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Yet, here in the PNW, along the Washington coast, we've had record rain. 2 weeks ago, we got more rain from one storm than we normally get for the whole month of May, (we finished way over 2x the average for the month) and so far, we've had more rain this month than we normally get during June..

Looks like we have a couple of days with highs around 62F in the 10 day forecast...but that's it. (along with more rain)

A a little over a year ago Portland and PNW proper was under it's own heat dome of almost 120 degrees. That's hotter than Las Vegas record heat. Over 400 people in British Columbia north of us died in a 3 day timespan from it. Uhhh I guess I'll take the wet and cool?

Our weather events are are not unrelated. The science behind our heat dome last year was pretty redonk.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
A year and 15 days ago Portland and PNW proper was under it's own heat dome of almost 120 degrees. That's hotter than Las Vegas record heat. Over 400 people in British Columbia north of us in a 3 day timespan from it. Uhhh I guess I'll take the wet and cool?

Our weather events are are not unrelated. The science behind our heat dome last year was pretty redonk.

Yeah, last year, just before the 4th of July was redonkulously hot. I think we got into the upper 90's...maybe just over 100, (depending on whose thermometer you believe) for two days.

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018
Went from 80F to 66F within an hour about 2 hours ago. A little rain, no T-Storms, but suns out again and warming back up.

Reactions: iRONic