Southgate, Michigan is hoping with Iraqis!!!!

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Well this liberal who does not support our invasion of Iraq for the reasons we were given, but does support democratic elections, just got back from quite the scene. I just took the 10 minute trip with 2 friends of mine to the Southgate, Michigan polling location so they could cast their votes. You would not believe the amount of news trucks here from all around the world. The parking lot the mall is packed with expatriate Iraqis. I would say close to 10,000 were there at the old green HQ building voting. Lots of kids there, too taking it all in. I read in a post earlier someone was asking why they could vote in the Iraqi elections and what I was told was since many of them would never have left Iraq in the first place were it not for Saddam, it was only fair that they get to cast their votes. Who can argue with that?

Still, however, I was deeply saddened and left with an empty feeling in my stomach that even 1 American had to die for this. Just my humble opinion here and flame away, the ends really did not justify the means. Happy they got to vote, but not nearly as happy as I would be if even 1 boy or girl here in America could have their mother or father back that died over there for this.

Darkhawk28

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2000
Nice post Umbrella. But I think the telling factor will be the coming days and weeks as they try to get the Sunni population involved. If they cannot, then they're looking at an all-out civil war.

I feel that revolutions and coups are best done from within. An outside force can help with funding or weaponry, but the fighting and sense of nationalistic spirit must come from within.

That's just my two cents on that.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Did you vote? I doubt they would stop you. Just say your great great great... great grandmother was Babylonian :)

Darkhawk28

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2000
Although it's great that Iraqi's got to go through the motions of voting, I am suspicious that the results of said elections haven't been predetermined.

conehead433

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2002
Did Bush win? He deserves to be president of Iraq. He definitely hasn't done anything for the country he's supposed to be president of.

Jassi

Diamond Member
Sep 8, 2004
Originally posted by: conehead433
Did Bush win? He deserves to be president of Iraq. He definitely hasn't done anything for the country he's supposed to be president of.

LOL

MisterCornell

Banned
Dec 30, 2004
Have you ever been to Dearborn, Michigan? That place is like the Middle East, with a couple of Ford buildings thrown in.

I have a relative who used to live in Southgate. He moved to Monroe, MI :(

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: MisterCornell
Have you ever been to Dearborn, Michigan? That place is like the Middle East, with a couple of Ford buildings thrown in.

Born and raised. You are 100% correct.

Train

Lifer
Jun 22, 2000
www.bing.com

There are more Arab people in Dearborn than any other city in the world except for Tehran, Iran. I havent spent much time there, but overall I think its a really nice city. I had a recruiter trying to get me in as a developer at Ford HQ a few months ago, too bad it didnt pan out, would have had no problem moving there.

Sep 12, 2004
Originally posted by: PatboyX
hoping?
I wondered that too. I thought at first he meant "hopping." After reading all the news reports, hoping seems more fitting as the Iraqis have revealed their real hope to all this day.

Nothing can ever validate the deaths of those fighting this war, but at least this softens the impact somewhat and lets people know that their deaths weren't completely in vain.

I wonder what the rest of the world thinks right about now?

Grunt03

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2000
nice thoughts, yes it is sad that lives have been lost for something that could seem so very simple.
The elections are a good thing, but are not the sole answer to fix all of the problems in Iraq. It a good first step in the right direction.

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
Originally posted by: Train

There are more Arab people in Dearborn than any other city in the world except for Tehran, Iran. I havent spent much time there, but overall I think its a really nice city. I had a recruiter trying to get me in as a developer at Ford HQ a few months ago, too bad it didnt pan out, would have had no problem moving there.

It should be noted that only a quarter of Iranians are arabs.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Originally posted by: Train

Alot of cities in the world have more people than Teheran, Iran.

Are you aware that Iranians are not Arabs?

Hint: The former name of the country is Persia.

Train

Lifer
Jun 22, 2000
www.bing.com
regardless of what % of Tehranians are Arab, its still the largest population of Arabs in the world. My point is Dearborn being the 2nd.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000

Not quite true, even with many Middle Eastern nationalities living here they only account for less than 20% of Dearborn's population.

And, Southgate has a very small Arab/Persian population.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Well apparently Michigan is turning into a Red Religious State fast :(

Goodbye Michigan
rose.gif

4-12-2005 The Rev. Keith Butler, applauded by his wife, Deborah, jumps into the Republican race for the U.S. Senate seat now held by Democrat Debbie Stabenow