Southern whites troubled by Romney's wealth, religion

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
http://in.reuters.com/article/2012/09/11/us-usa-election-poll-bible-belt-idINBRE88A05H20120911

(Reuters) - Sheryl Harris, a voluble 52-year-old with a Virginia drawl, voted twice for George W. Bush. Raised Baptist, she is convinced -- despite all evidence to the contrary -- that President Barack Obama, a practicing Christian, is Muslim.

So in this year's presidential election, will she support Mitt Romney? Not a chance.

"Romney's going to help the upper class," said Harris, who earns $28,000 a year as activities director of a Lynchburg senior center. "He doesn't know everyday people, except maybe the person who cleans his house."

Focusing on 11 states from Virginia and North Carolina to Texas and Oklahoma, the Reuters/Ipsos polling project canvassed 8,690 people in households with incomes under $55,000 a year -- just above the U.S. median.

Non-Hispanic whites in this bracket have skewed Republican for more than three decades, and they prefer the GOP nominee to Obama by 46 percent to 29 percent. However, as Romney launches a post-convention ad blitz, those numbers could signal trouble for his campaign. Strategists in both parties figure that to offset the president's expected landslide among an expanding electorate of blacks and Hispanics -- Obama won 80 percent of minority votes in 2008 -- Romney must garner more than 60 percent of the white vote overall.

Interesting that class could be eclipsing race as a division point with candidates. Also it seems people still associate Democrats with being more favorable to the lower and middle classes.

And wow there are some underinformed people on all sides of the spectrum... yeesh.

Last edited:

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
"Other than the military, everything that's government-controlled is screwed up," said William Clarkson, a retired postman who was rooting for the Lynchburg Hillcats, the city's minor league baseball team, on a sweltering afternoon.
Now that is some fine irony there, Bill.

Also, rednecks are dumb.

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
My wife's family is southern rednecks who have been die hard republicans all their life and even they are starting to question Romney.

Nov 29, 2006
http://in.reuters.com/article/2012/09/11/us-usa-election-poll-bible-belt-idINBRE88A05H20120911

Interesting that class could be eclipsing race as a division point with candidates. Also it seems people still associate Democrats with being more favorable to the lower and middle classes.

And wow there are some underinformed people on all sides of the spectrum... yeesh.

People of many races share the same class. So its easier to go after class than those that share your fortune (or lack of).

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012

Has there ever been any question that Democrats are more favorable to the lower class?

sunzt

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 2003
Just show them a picture of the current president.

3001718657_6bae7f895f_o.jpg

What's the problem?

Oct 16, 1999
I'm shocked that people who want to vote against Obama because he's a foreign Muslim might be hesitant to vote for a rich Mormon instead.

Munky

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2005
So yet another thread which confirms that people who have money vote one way... and the people who want someone else's money vote the other way.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Interesting, because dividing the masses through race, religion or some similar system has been the way the elites rule the masses for for thousands of years. Perhaps I'm an optimist, but I see Ms. Harris' dilemma not as ignorance but as a glimmering of the awareness of her own actual self interests. Shameful that she still follows that moronic Muslim nonsense, but at least she is partially aware.

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
So yet another thread which confirms that people who have money vote one way... and the people who want someone else's money vote the other way.

I'm sure in your mind it may appear that way; but things aren't always black and white no matter how much we may wish for that to be the case.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Sheryl Harris, a voluble 52-year-old with a Virginia drawl, voted twice for George W. Bush.

Anybody else notice the bolded part?

Why doesn't it say "voted for McCain"? Is it because she didn't? (Bush never ran against Obama.)

I think she's an Obama supporter from '08.

If so, article is dishonest bullshit. But then again, what's new?

Fern

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Anybody else notice the bolded part?

Why doesn't it say "voted for McCain"? Is it because she didn't? (Bush never ran against Obama.)

I think she's an Obama supporter from '08.

If so, article is dishonest bullshit. But then again, what's new?

Fern

Didnt GWB run against Gore and then Kerry?

Apr 27, 2012
This article is so full of shit. obama has made it very clear that he isn't a Christian, He cant be a Muslim but he does favor Muslims over Christians though

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Hmm had a friend tell me that he won't vote for a candidate that believes in abortion. Anyone know what Romney's stance is on that this second? (I kid, I kid... sort of. :p)