South Miami hospital sued for accidental circumcision on newborn

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SammyJr

Golden Member
Feb 27, 2008
It appears to me that your source is writing with an agenda.

People that promote circumcision have their own agenda. How much does a doctor get paid for a circumcision? How much is the removed tissue worth to a biotech company? When the doctor screws up, how much does it cost to correct?

American doctors and hospitals have lost millions of dollars since circumcision rates have dropped and they're for-profit!

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Paul M. Fleiss, MD

What Are the Foreskin's Functions?

The foreskin has numerous protective, sensory, and sexual functions.

Protection: Just as the eyelids protect the eyes, the foreskin protects the glans and keeps its surface soft, moist, and sensitive. It also maintains optimal warmth, pH balance, and cleanliness. The glans itself contains no sebaceous glands-glands that produce the sebum, or oil, that moisturizes our skin.11 The foreskin produces the sebum that maintains proper health of the surface of the glans.

Immunological Defense: The mucous membranes that line all body orifices are the body's first line of immunological defense. Glands in the foreskin produce antibacterial and antiviral proteins such as lysozyme.12 Lysozyme is also found in tears and mother's milk. Specialized epithelial Langerhans cells, an immune system component, abound in the foreskin's outer surface.13 Plasma cells in the foreskin's mucosal lining secrete immunoglobulins, antibodies that defend against infection.14

kage69

Seems you cannot read so well yourself. The above is from an MD.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
kage69

Seems you cannot read so well yourself. The above is from an MD.

pcgeek11

Please don't play the faulty context game with me. My reply about someone not reading my post was called for as they were replying to a prior post of mine, but decided to cherrypick or purposefully misconstrue what I said. That is not the same thing as me admittedly not reading your post and then not responding to it. I have studied opinions from Drs both pro and con, and hold no confusion over the purpose of skin and mucus. I have physicians in my own family, and have broached the issue with them as well. Regardless, I chose not to reply to your post as I was already addressing the points of someone else and didn't want to help lead this thread more off topic. You provide a quote, I link a study, you post another study, etc etc. The issue of medical error and the legal recourse of some parents has clearly been overrided by people voicing support for or against circumcision.

So don't worry about my comprehension, but you might want to save your scorn for something more appropriate.