South Miami hospital sued for accidental circumcision on newborn

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jun 26, 2007
^ Follow the statistics that you refuse to post sources for?

And why do I care why muslims do it? I am athiest and glad it was done.

Do a simple search, you can do that, i can't. Point is, it's a religious practice invented 6000 years ago... there is no reason to mutilate the penises of children today.

I'm glad that you think you are glad that ridding your penis of 50% of the nerve endings in it was a good idea and i'm sure you will go through hell and high water to defend it being done to you but don't think for one second that it doesn't matter.

I can't pull my foreskin back and walk around like that, my glans is so sensitive it actually HURTS to do that and a woman drawing your foreskin up when you have an erection and then putting her tounge between it and your glans, well that is a feeling you can't possibly get because you have nothing on your body that sensitive anymore.

Imagine it like the first time you had sex x100, that's what it's like, every time.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
So your whole argument is based on statistics that you can't back up and anecdotal evidence. I think that about ends any sort of serious debate with you.

Now back to the showers with your military buddies.

SammyJr

Golden Member
Feb 27, 2008
You forgot Australia. I'm not sure of the percentage but i think it was over 50%.

I think Australia pretty much stopped doing it 20 years ago. Their Pediatrics society recommends against it.

Interestingly, the American Academy of Pediatrics is the only one that doesn't recommend against it. Perhaps they have a monetary interest in the practice.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
I am not a lawyer, but I'm pretty sure the mere fact that they did the procedure on a minor without parental consent is enough to sue for punitive damages. The plaintiff doesn't even have to prove any specific damages, they would simply sue for mental anguish etc. If I'm a parent, and I want my child to be uncircumcised, the fact that there is no long term physical damage (in addition to the physical alteration of course) doesn't mean a whole lot, I've still suffered irreparable harm. The only question is going to be, how much is the hospital going to end up paying. I'm guessing $5 million or so plus legal fees.

There are no punitive damages without proof of compensatories, nor are punitives likely in a case of that sort even if compemsatories are proven. Compensatory damages might be awarded in that sort of case, including possibly emotional distress, but it's going to be tough to get a big award because the medical evidence doesn't suggest that it matters whether you have a foreskin or not. The usual claim is that it reduces sexual sensation, but AFAIK that is scientifically unproven and therefore unprovable in court.

- wolf

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
I think Australia pretty much stopped doing it 20 years ago. Their Pediatrics society recommends against it.

Interestingly, the American Academy of Pediatrics is the only one that doesn't recommend against it. Perhaps they have a monetary interest in the practice.

All Christians, Jews, and Muslims are supposed to cut their dicks off. Leftist countries like Australia stopped the penis mutilation because they're not hardcore uneducated bible thumping retards. USA on the other hand....roughly 50% of the country believes humans were created in their present form somewhere in the ballpark of 6-10k years ago.

marincounty

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
Don't worry, in a few years this kid's priest will reassure him that his cut penis is just fine the way it is.
Funny that so many so opposed to excessive malpractice awards change their tune when it involves a penis.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
All Christians, Jews, and Muslims are supposed to cut their dicks off. Leftist countries like Australia stopped the penis mutilation because they're not hardcore uneducated bible thumping retards. USA on the other hand....roughly 50% of the country believes humans were created in their present form somewhere in the ballpark of 6-10k years ago.

You might want to look up the statistics on religion in Australia.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
FYI:

Results of studies of the effect on penile sensitivity have been mixed. In a British study of 150 men circumcised as adults for penile problems, Masood et al. found that 38% reported improved penile sensation (p=0.01), 18% reported worse penile sensation, while the remainder (44%) reported no change.[1] In a survey of men circumcised as adults for medical (93%) or elective (7%) reasons, Fink et al. found an association between adult circumcision and decreased penile sensitivity that "bordered on statistical significance" (p=0.08).[2]

In a 2008 study, Krieger et al. stated that "Adult male circumcision was not associated with sexual dysfunction. Circumcised men reported increased penile sensitivity and enhanced ease of reaching orgasm."[3] In a 2009 study, Cortés-González et al. reported a statistically significant improvement in "perception of sexual events" (p=0.04).[4]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_effects_of_circumcision

That is what research shows so far. Enough said on the topic.

- wolf

Jun 26, 2007
So your whole argument is based on statistics that you can't back up and anecdotal evidence. I think that about ends any sort of serious debate with you.

Now back to the showers with your military buddies.

You know, i feel for you and i won't make it harder for you to deny that you lost 50% of the nerve endings in your manhood, that you will NEVER know what it really feels like to have sex with a real penis so i will not ask you to search for information you don't want to know again.

Jun 26, 2007
FYI:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_effects_of_circumcision

That is what research shows so far. Enough said on the topic.

- wolf

Really, so cutting off 50% of the nerve endings on the penis along with having such an insensitive glans that it doesn't get overstimulated when rubbed against fabric (even soft fabric) all day long doesn't decrease sensitivity.

That is pure and utter bullsheit and any sane human being can understand that it is.

I pity those who will never have a whole penis, none of you will ever know what it really feels like to have one.

Me? If i thought my foreskin was a problem, i could just get rid of it whenever i would want to.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
Really, so cutting off 50% of the nerve endings on the penis along with having such an insensitive glans that it doesn't get overstimulated when rubbed against fabric (even soft fabric) all day long doesn't decrease sensitivity.

That is pure and utter bullsheit and any sane human being can understand that it is.

I pity those who will never have a whole penis, none of you will ever know what it really feels like to have one.

Me? If i thought my foreskin was a problem, i could just get rid of it whenever i would want to.

What exactly as you posing as evidence against the four studies I just cited?

And you are a Jew for crying out loud. What are doing in possession of a foreskin?

- wolf

Jun 26, 2007

And you are a Jew for crying out loud. What are doing in possession of a foreskin?

- wolf

You want simple evidence, ask anyone who has a foreskin to pull it back and walk around like that and he'll tell you that his glans is too sensitive to do that, well that and that 50% of all nerve endings are in the foreskin. I'm fairly sure that if you cut off a womans labia and the hood of the clit she would IMMEDIATLY get more sensitive when having sex but if it was done at birth her clit would be desensitised as she reached puberty.

Jewish by heritage, raised Catholic, remember, besides, archaic religious rituals involving mutilation of genitals are not permitted in the UK (unless... specific religious doctine is cited from a specific community, Jewish or Islamic). ;)

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002

- wolf

Ruh-roh one of Sheffield's made-up characteristics has been exposed...

As for the sensitivity issue, maybe Sheffield feels more because all his pleasure cells have to be packed into such a small area?

Jun 26, 2007
Ruh-roh one of Sheffield's made-up characteristics has been exposed...

As for the sensitivity issue, maybe Sheffield feels more because all his pleasure cells have to be packed into such a small area?

No, i've explained this before, however, it takes a few braincells to actually understand more than two words out of sentence, next time, ask your mum or dad to explain it to you.

I'm sure you and the Muslims are happy about the US practice of it though, you can all shake hands on this issue of genital mutilation.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Yes we all know that you know how it feels to have sex with a real penis JoS. Do tell though, does your sphincter retract 100 percent afterwards or no?

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
You might want to look up the statistics on religion in Australia.
You demand proof or at least evidence. I like that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Level_of_support_for_evolution
1997 Gallup Poll Results
US Group Young Earth Creationism
Public 44%
Scientists 5%

A 2010 survey conducted by Auspoll and the Australian Academy of Science found that almost 80% of Australians believe that evolution is currently occurring. 10% stated they do not believe in evolution, and a further 11% were not sure.

Glaring difference. 44% retards in one country vs 10% retards and 11% not sure if they are retarded. Other polls reach similar conclusions about the US retard rates.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/08/060810-evolution.html
August 10, 2006

In the U.S., only 14 percent of adults thought that evolution was "definitely true," while about a third firmly rejected the idea.

In European countries, including Denmark, Sweden, and France, more than 80 percent of adults surveyed said they accepted the concept of evolution.

So if a random book says you're supposed to mutilate your son's genitals, there are a lot more people in the US who will do it without question.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Nick Nick I been thinkin
What would keep your dick from stinkin
Soap and water, soap and water
Makes it smell just like it oughtta

Last edited:

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Under Tort law battery is an intentional tort but it is currently rarely used for medical cases without consent.

If the Dr. did not have consent he committed a civil battery on the child. They are likely suing under battery because Florida probably has tort reform caps on medical malpractice.

Florida has a $500k cap on medical malpractice damages and Florida still allows medical battery claims, although they are rare.

The biggest issue here is damages. The plaintiffs an argue all they want that they baby was seriously injured and his human rights were violated(yes they are arguing that too), but its unlikely a judge or jury will see a circumcision as major harm. They won't get anywhere near $1million or the $500k malpractice cap.

If it goes to court . I want to see the jury selection and the questions asked . That be better than comedy central.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
^ Jury selection. A woman . The question . Tell me Miss Jones and please don't be embarressed. But do like your dick with or without skin.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Do a simple search, you can do that, i can't. Point is, it's a religious practice invented 6000 years ago... there is no reason to mutilate the penises of children today.

I'm glad that you think you are glad that ridding your penis of 50% of the nerve endings in it was a good idea and i'm sure you will go through hell and high water to defend it being done to you but don't think for one second that it doesn't matter.

I can't pull my foreskin back and walk around like that, my glans is so sensitive it actually HURTS to do that and a woman drawing your foreskin up when you have an erection and then putting her tounge between it and your glans, well that is a feeling you can't possibly get because you have nothing on your body that sensitive anymore.

Imagine it like the first time you had sex x100, that's what it's like, every time.

LOL you have dirty senitive dick is that what your telling us. Picks self up off floor.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
You want simple evidence, ask anyone who has a foreskin to pull it back and walk around like that and he'll tell you that his glans is too sensitive to do that, well that and that 50% of all nerve endings are in the foreskin.

Actually this is the truth ( for me also ). As far as the dirty part, well they do make this new stuff called soap and water. When mixed together it cleans remarkably well. I realize for some of you this may be new ground. Try it it really works.

The only ones that have issues with health, infections etc... are those that do not wash properly.

All of you that have been butchered, well you have no idea what it is like with a complete penis. Once it is gone ... it is gone. You guys act like it is an abnormality or a strange growth. No it isn't, it is supposed to be there.

From netdoctor:

Should we avoid circumcision?
The foreskin is not simply a useless piece of skin, to be disposed of without careful thought. It forms the covering of the head (glans) of the penis in men and the clitoris in women. It is very rich in nerves responsible for touch and the movement of the foreskin backwards and forwards over the glans provides some of the pleasurable sensation experienced during sex.
Adult males that were circumcised as infants do not usually report sexual problems linked with their circumcision, perhaps because they have never experienced sexual sensation with a foreskin. However, men circumcised as sexually active adults quite frequently complain of sexual problems arising from either reduced or altered penile sensation.

Complications of circumcision
Happily, complications of circumcision are relatively rare, although they may be under-reported following religious or cultural circumcision. For this reason, figures on the rate of complications may not be reliable. Complications include:
reduction in penile sensation (an almost universal experience)
bleeding
damage to the urethra (urine tube in the penis)
amputation of the glans (rare)
infection in the blood or septicaemia (rare).

Conclusions
Circumcision remains a controversial procedure, as it has been for thousands of years.
Male circumcision is vitally important to some religious and cultural groups. Hopefully, the use of general anaesthesia for infant circumcision will increase. Medical and religious authorities should work together to promote this change.
Very few absolute medical reasons exist for circumcision, and no reasons exist to justify routine circumcision of infants outside areas with a high rate of HIV infection. Far too many circumcisions are performed without good reason in Europe and the USA. The best advice is 'if it isn't absolutely necessary, don't circumcise'.

Paul M. Fleiss, MD

What Are the Foreskin's Functions?

The foreskin has numerous protective, sensory, and sexual functions.

Protection: Just as the eyelids protect the eyes, the foreskin protects the glans and keeps its surface soft, moist, and sensitive. It also maintains optimal warmth, pH balance, and cleanliness. The glans itself contains no sebaceous glands-glands that produce the sebum, or oil, that moisturizes our skin.11 The foreskin produces the sebum that maintains proper health of the surface of the glans.

Immunological Defense: The mucous membranes that line all body orifices are the body's first line of immunological defense. Glands in the foreskin produce antibacterial and antiviral proteins such as lysozyme.12 Lysozyme is also found in tears and mother's milk. Specialized epithelial Langerhans cells, an immune system component, abound in the foreskin's outer surface.13 Plasma cells in the foreskin's mucosal lining secrete immunoglobulins, antibodies that defend against infection.14

Erogenous Sensitivity: The foreskin is as sensitive as the fingertips or the lips of the mouth. It contains a richer variety and greater concentration of specialized nerve receptors than any other part of the penis.15 These specialized nerve endings can discern motion, subtle changes in temperature, and fine gradations of texture.16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23
Coverage During Erection: As it becomes erect, the penile shaft becomes thicker and longer. The double-layered foreskin provides the skin necessary to accommodate the expanded organ and to allow the penile skin to glide freely, smoothly, and pleasurably over the shaft and glans.

Self-Stimulating Sexual Functions: The foreskin's double-layered sheath enables the penile shaft skin to glide back and forth over the penile shaft. The foreskin can normally be slipped all the way, or almost all the way, back to the base of the penis, and also slipped forward beyond the glans. This wide range of motion is the mechanism by which the penis and the orgasmic triggers in the foreskin, frenulum, and glans are stimulated.

Sexual Functions in Intercourse: One of the foreskin's functions is to facilitate smooth, gentle movement between the mucosal surfaces of the two partners during intercourse. The foreskin enables the penis to slip in and out of the vagina nonabrasively inside its own slick sheath of self-lubricating, movable skin. The female is thus stimulated by moving pressure rather than by friction only, as when the male's foreskin is missing.
The foreskin fosters intimacy between the two partners by enveloping the glans and maintaining it as an internal organ. The sexual experience is enhanced when the foreskin slips back to allow the male's internal organ, the glans, to meet the female's internal organ, the cervix-a moment of supreme intimacy and beauty.

The foreskin may have functions not yet recognized or understood. Scientists in Europe recently detected estrogen receptors in its basal epidermal cells.24 Researchers at the University of Manchester found that the human foreskin has apocrine glands.25 These specialized glands produce pheromones, nature's chemical messengers. Further studies are needed to fully understand these features of the foreskin and the role they play.

Good luck all you half dicks!
:)

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
You could just wash it in the shower. Your ass crack is chock full of bacteria but you just wash it. Your mouth is also chock full of bacteria, but you brush and use mouthwash. There are various bacteria in your gut. Women have bacteria in their vagina. Bacteria are in abundance on the human body and its quite manageable and normal. Its not a reason for immediate surgical correction at birth.

Seems you didn't pay too much attention to my posts. A shower just isn't the miracle preventative that you and others maintain it is. Ask any woman who has gone through a bout of vaginitis, or worse. I realize that a vagina is not the same thing, but women are generally more concerned with hygiene than men, and they still have all kidns of stuff to worry about and deal with. Also, it seems you're being obtuse about the nature of bacteria. If you've bothered enough to look into where bacteria are located, then you should follow through and act like you're aware of the difference between beneficial flora and the kind that just messes you up. Fact is intestinal flora and others are quite abnormal these days, an age in which people over use refined sugars, anti-biotics, and other cleaning agents. When the bad flora overrun the good, it's a hard problem to remedy. Medications that kill the bad also kill the good, which is why probiotics are all the rage these days.

I'm not saying if you're uncircumcised then you're ugly or doomed to a life of constant irritation and/or infection. I am saying that the moist environment under the foreskin is more vulnerable to a variety of conditions one can acquire through sex or environment. That is not in itself a reason to be circumcised, I don't think anyone here is advocating that. My position is being circumcised doesn't make you mutilated or deficient, and being uncircumcised can involve issues that a circumcised man doesn't have to worry about. Please note the use of the word 'can.'

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
You demand proof or at least evidence. I like that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Level_of_support_for_evolution

Glaring difference. 44% retards in one country vs 10% retards and 11% not sure if they are retarded. Other polls reach similar conclusions about the US retard rates.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/08/060810-evolution.html

So if a random book says you're supposed to mutilate your son's genitals, there are a lot more people in the US who will do it without question.

Sorry, I wasn't talking about the young earth creationists. I was talking about religion in general, which is around 80% for Australia.

surfsatwerk

Lifer
Mar 6, 2008
The foreskin fosters intimacy between the two partners by enveloping the glans and maintaining it as an internal organ. The sexual experience is enhanced when the foreskin slips back to allow the male's internal organ, the glans, to meet the female's internal organ, the cervix-a moment of supreme intimacy and beauty.

Good luck all you half dicks!
:)

It appears to me that your source is writing with an agenda.