South Korea tells Trump that they were never part of China

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I found this story amusing:

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/...rump-it-s-actually-never-been-a-part-of-china

Now, technically, Trump is right here. Parts of what is now South Korea were briefly occupied by the Chinese during Korean War. That's probably not something that the South Koreans like being reminded about, though.

Something tells me that Trump doesn't have to worry about being nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize like his predecessor was if he keeps up his "unique" form of diplomacy.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
From the article:

Chinese dynasties invaded the Korean Peninsula repeatedly over the centuries and demanded tributes, but South Koreans reject the idea that their ancestors were ever ruled by their neighbor.

Jan 25, 2011
You Americans are screwed one was or another... You would be screwed with Clinton the psychopath liar and you are screwed with Trump the I want 3 world war...

The funniest thing is, voters left those 2 for last battle. They didn't vote for candidates which were '' more normal'' then those 2...

So who's weird here...
After reading this post I think you need a third option...

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
The mental decline is getting harder and harder to deny. Every day there's at least one example leaking out. I bet it's rapidly deteriorating. It's also why Ivanka and Jared are around full time. Need to have family around at all times. Can't be long before he shits himself on camera.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I found this story amusing:

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/...rump-it-s-actually-never-been-a-part-of-china

Now, technically, Trump is right here. Parts of what is now South Korea were briefly occupied by the Chinese during Korean War. That's probably not something that the South Koreans like being reminded about, though.

Something tells me that Trump doesn't have to worry about being nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize like his predecessor was if he keeps up his "unique" form of diplomacy.

Actually, that's wrong. The Chinese troops that invaded Korea Korea during the war were so-called volunteers aiding the NK (much like Putin does in Ukraine these days). Therefore China did not purport to exercise any sovereignty over any part of Korea during that war.

If you go back earlier, for many centuries Korea has been invaded by China, Japan and Russia over and over again. Perhaps Trump is trying to exercise his chops in history. But given he doesn't even remember the name of the leader of NK (always refers to him as "that gentleman") I have my doubts.

Reactions: french toast

desura

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2013
The mental decline is getting harder and harder to deny. Every day there's at least one example leaking out. I bet it's rapidly deteriorating. It's also why Ivanka and Jared are around full time. Need to have family around at all times. Can't be long before he shits himself on camera.

TBF, it is embarrassing that all of the leaders of our major parties are really old guys. Even Elizabeth Warren is near 70. And Bernie Sanders? So old.

Trump definitely seems like he isn't aging well. I still cannot believe people voted for him with a straight face.

Reactions: french toast

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
There's an idiotcracy thing going on. The internet makes people dumber and it divides people.

Ignorant people have always been plentiful in this country. The big difference is that these days, due to the internet and right wing news, ignorant people refuse to defer to people who are demonstrably smarter than them on matters. Highly educated people, with their fancy degrees and fancy words, and generally liberal leanings which is a natural byproduct of education, are now elitists. Fox News has made billions convincing ignorant people that they can rebrand their ignorance as common sense, and the entire country is suffering for it, especially red states.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Well, when forced to choose between the hard sharp edged reality of things and the oh so comforting bed of lies, fairy tales, false promises and hate and fear rhetoric, the lazy and willfully ignorant will always, ALWAYS go with option #2. The GOP knows this full well and exploits this self-destructive insane characteristic with spectacular results in their favor.

The Pied Piper got no game at all when pitted up against the GOP Ministry of Propaganda. Absolutely no contest. A blowout of epic proportions.

Jan 25, 2011
And now Korea and other asian countries are mocking Trump and the admin on this, the carrier screw up etc... At some point Trump and his people/supporters need to realize what he says is what's important. Not the semantics game of "this is what Trump REALLY meant".

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
And now Korea and other asian countries are mocking Trump and the admin on this, the carrier screw up etc... At some point Trump and his people/supporters need to realize what he says is what's important. Not the semantics game of "this is what Trump REALLY meant".
Never happen. These are people, that when confronted by hard facts, dig their heels in harder, and continue believing in whatever nonsense they subscribe too. Willfully and deliberately choosing fantasy over facts is what cults are all about. Tens of millions of Americans have chosen membership in multiple cults, over science, reason, logic, and facts. I think we are in one of the "a step backwards" phases of humanity's progress.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
You Americans are screwed one was or another... You would be screwed with Clinton the psychopath liar and Trump the psychopath liar and I want 3 world war...

The funniest thing is, voters left those 2 for last battle. They didn't vote for candidates which were '' more normal'' then those 2...

So who's weird here...
FTFY

Reactions: huskystafford

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Boomers only vote for boomers.

abe.png

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

already happened
1mihhf.jpg

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Trump shouldn't have used the expression "part of China." Occupying a country does not make that country part of your own. I suppose it does if you formally annex it, but even then the annexation isn't going to be recognized as valid by the country being occupied.

It clearly never occurred to him that framing it this way would offend South Korea even though it ought to have been obvious. Regardless of whether what Trump said is technically accurate, he needs to learn something about diplomacy. Next thing we're going to hear is that Trump has the Prime Minister of India for talks at Mara-a-Lago and offers him Trump Steaks.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
You Americans are screwed one was or another... You would be screwed with Clinton the psychopath liar and you are screwed with Trump the I want 3 world war...

So who's weird here...
are you truly not an American? Between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump, you pick Clinton as the "psychopath liar"? LOL

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Actually, that's wrong. The Chinese troops that invaded Korea Korea during the war were so-called volunteers aiding the NK (much like Putin does in Ukraine these days). Therefore China did not purport to exercise any sovereignty over any part of Korea during that war.

If you go back earlier, for many centuries Korea has been invaded by China, Japan and Russia over and over again. Perhaps Trump is trying to exercise his chops in history. But given he doesn't even remember the name of the leader of NK (always refers to him as "that gentleman") I have my doubts.
Huh? You actually think hundreds of thousands of PRC troops flooding into Korea were volunteers? You are correct that China did not occupy Korea during the war.

I'm not a history buff, but I think northern Korea was part of China 2 millennia ago:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Sino-Korean_relations

I don't think southern Korean kingdoms ever were a part of China, although Korea was a vassal state of the Mongol Yuan Empire.