South Dakota overturns will of the people - weed is bad mmmmkay

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
The party of freedom ladies and gentlemen. The people voted to legalize weed, a very sensible and not extreme position by any means whatsoever. A totally reasonable ballot initiative.

The piece of trash Trumpie GQP governor instigated a legal challenge to overturn it, and the regressive right wing garbage Supreme Court of that state which has 2 senators too many, as well as too many electoral votes for its size, has now overturned the will of the people, curtailing their freedoms while masquerading as the party of liberty.

I mean you can't make this shit up, the GQP is horrific.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

EduCat

Feb 28, 2012
I am in Chicago and I go back to Indiana to see my family sometimes, it's a similarly regressive state. I try to GTFO as quick as I can.

Reactions: Sheik Yerbouti

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Reminds me of when Missouri voters voted for a Medicare Expansion and the state GQP effectively said 'Cute, but we don't give a shit what voters want. Not happening.'

Hard not to feel disgusted when I contemplate what entitled traitors republicans have become.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Reminds me of when Missouri voters voted for a Medicare Expansion and the state GQP effectively said 'Cute, but we don't give a shit what voters want. Not happening.'

Hard not to feel disgusted when I contemplate what entitled traitors republicans have become.
Misery did the same thing with puppy mills, the voters approved a ballot measure to outlaw them but the mills raised a stink and was overturned by the legislature. I was living in the KC area at the time and voted for the measure.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
It's policy vs politics. Here in Arizona, statewide ballot initiatives with centrist to liberal policy proposals usually win but when it comes time to elect legislators, it's an ocean of rightwing nutjobs.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Unfortunately, the "will of the people" on election day continues to put Republicans in positions of power to do these kinds of things. The electorates need to make better informed choices if change is to happen.
They don't even respect the will of the people when it comes to democracy in general, why would we expect any better of them in any matters really?

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Unfortunately, the "will of the people" on election day continues to put Republicans in positions of power to do these kinds of things. The electorates need to make better informed choices if change is to happen.

Problem being, the Repub version of the electorate doesn't need to make better informed choices. All they crave for is an emotional fix just like any other habit forming drug you can buy off a street corner. Gone are the days of fiscal conservancy when their own leadership proved that to be a lie, or family values when they elected a known adulterer and womanizer who lies like his life depended on it (and does). No need for honesty, integrity, morals and ethics as these honorable attributes just get in the way of their stomping The Constitution and the Rule of Law in the dirt in their effort to deny the right to vote of those who would vote Democrat.

HurleyBird

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2003
Confusing title makes it sound like the state legalized weed and the people voted against.

EDIT: Title has been changed

And I agree, you can't be simultaneously pro-freedom and also against basic bodily autonomy.

Last edited:

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Too bad the proponents of the amendment didn't draft it better to avoid such a technical reversal. Politicians (of both parties) pull this crap all the time regarding voter initiatives-it comes down to their belief that they, as professionals, should rule the governed. Hopefully a properly drafted proposal will be on the ballot the next time around, or better still the feds abolish this modern day Prohibition.

And yes the GOP still supports choice, so long as their choice is the only one that counts.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
When this twit of a gov runs for pres (and she will) this needs to be at the top of the attack ads.

Yes she's lead thousands to their needless deaths for her covid policies, but I bet this will move the needle more.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
In my experience single subject rule challenges typically happen BEFORE the measure ends up on the ballot. Opponents know that if they file a single subject complaint after the measure passes it's really bad optics and only delays the inevitable.

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
I am in Chicago and I go back to Indiana to see my family sometimes, it's a similarly regressive state. I try to GTFO as quick as I can.
Didn't Indiana vote for Obama in 2008? That means there is still hope, Indianapolis is booming.