South Chicago suburb hit with 300% water bill increase $700 month

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally Posted by dmcowen674
I'm sure 99% of AT P&Ners approve of this increase in profits for the 1% that control the Aqua water company management.

Go ahead 1%ers, keep it up.

Are you calling the Illinois government 1%ers? I'm not sure I understand your rant.

Reading Comprehension would help.

Aqua is a private for profit company.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally Posted by dmcowen674
I'm sure 99% of AT P&Ners approve of this increase in profits for the 1% that control the Aqua water company management.

Go ahead 1%ers, keep it up.

Reading Comprehension would help.

Aqua is a private for profit company.

Whose rates are authorized by your liberal Democratic government.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
40,000 gallons is 1333 gallons of water per day. That's over 55 gallons per hour.

That's a LOT of water!

No sprinkler/irrigation system is going to dump that.

Either they have a hose running continually; major line leak or some reporting is completely off.

Given that Dave as the OP and his tendency to over inflate; I suspect that this article is his under a pen name.

Plenty of flaws in the story.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
My water bill seems to have doubled in the last couple of months. Wierd. I'm not in Chicago, either.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
You must've forgotten this part...

That part didn't have anything to do with the "300% increase". The following part however did:

Samantha Oliver is also furious every time she uses water. Her bill jumped from $200 a month last year to nearly $700 this year.

“It angers me that they could feel justified in doing this to people,” she said.

Both Oliver and Burns – and thousands of other homeowners in Will, Kankakee and Lake counties – are customers of Aqua Illinois

The Illinois Commerce Commission recently approved a rate hike for Aqua. In a telephone conversation, a spokesperson explained why.

“They improved infrastructure,” the spokesperson said.

Oliver said, “I can understand a rate hike maybe 5 percent to 10 percent – this is what you expect when you hear a rate increase, not a 300 percent increase.”

The Illinois Attorney General’s office, which has heard some complaints, is also looking into what steps it can take to help customers.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Meh, my bill is about 70,000 gallons. About 450 bucks. Not hard to do with a pool, garden and running irrigation system 1.5h a day.