South Chicago suburb hit with 300% water bill increase $700 month

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
8-20-2012

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/08...tomers-furious-with-skyrocketing-water-bills/

Aqua Illinois Customers Furious With Skyrocketing Water Bills

They say they’re drowning in their water bills; scores of angry customers of Aqua Illinois say they have to think twice now about everyday tasks like taking a shower, washing the dishes, or even using the bathroom.
CBS 2’s Dorothy Tucker reports those homeowners in suburban communities like Will, Kankakee, and Lake County are determined to fight back.

Kevin Burns’ tomato garden is now filled with weeds. He let it die when he got a water and sewer bill for $614, three times what it cost him last year for the same amount of water.

Samantha Oliver is also furious every time she uses water. Her bill jumped from $200 a month last year to nearly $700 this year.

“It angers me that they could feel justified in doing this to people,” she said.

Both Oliver and Burns – and thousands of other homeowners in Will, Kankakee and Lake counties – are customers of Aqua Illinois

The Illinois Commerce Commission recently approved a rate hike for Aqua. In a telephone conversation, a spokesperson explained why.

“They improved infrastructure,” the spokesperson said.

Oliver said, “I can understand a rate hike maybe 5 percent to 10 percent – this is what you expect when you hear a rate increase, not a 300 percent increase.”

The Illinois Attorney General’s office, which has heard some complaints, is also looking into what steps it can take to help customers.

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
I'm sure 99% of AT P&Ners approve of this increase in profits for the 1% that control the Aqua water company management.

Go ahead 1%ers, keep it up.

Do you have proof, or are you just baiting. There is noone here that wants to see people hit with an illegitimate price hike. Though if these people dont like it they can:
Take it to the courts (they are doing that)
Get a different company/Move to get a new company
Get a well
Complain about how everyone with more money than them is out to get them (what youre doing)

Also, if 99% agrees with the 1% doesnt that mean that the 1% must be right and you are wrong?

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
But the company argued the average customer, who only uses about 6,000 gallons of water a month, had an increase of 56 percent. Those families –like Oliver and Burns – who use more than 40,000 gallons of water per month, weren’t paying their fair share before, so the formula was changed, and now they pay more.

seems like these cry babies were really using a ton of water

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000
Governments are leeches. My water bill is about $200 a month with all the lawn I have to water. I do not trust the losers running the local government to not pull this kind of crap so I am drilling a well in the next few months. I was only going to use it for irrigation but fuck em, I'm going for potable water and will simply cut off the city's water supply to my house.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
I'm sure 99% of AT P&Ners approve of this increase in profits for the 1% that control the Aqua water company management.

Ironic you should blame it on the 1%ers when the cause is almost certainly a consent decree from the EPA for some technical violation of the Clean Water Act or Safe Drinking Water Act. That sort of action (like the $4.7 billion in improvements required by the consent decree between EPA and St Louis water system) tend to lead directly to these types of spikes in rates.

The article also doesn't state how long it's been since the last rate increase, which likely means it's probably been 10 or more years.

frostedflakes

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
>40,000 gallons per month seems like a ton, used about 1300 last month (just me in a 1BR apartment, no lawn to water or any outdoor usage) and according to some Googling average US household water usage is like 126,700 *annually*. A 300% rate increase is still pretty insane, though, and even for people using <40,000 gallons a month the rate increase is quite a bit, not really sure how the utility and regulatory agency can justify that.

Last edited:

MooseNSquirrel

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2009
Ironic you should blame it on the 1%ers when the cause is almost certainly a consent decree from the EPA for some technical violation of the Clean Water Act or Safe Drinking Water Act. That sort of action (like the $4.7 billion in improvements required by the consent decree between EPA and St Louis water system) tend to lead directly to these types of spikes in rates.

The article also doesn't state how long it's been since the last rate increase, which likely means it's probably been 10 or more years.

Or how long since the last time they upgraded the infrastructure without being required to ;p

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
40,000 gallons!?!?!? no wonder! the first time someone is asked to pay their fair share dave complains!! go figure.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Governments are leeches. My water bill is about $200 a month with all the lawn I have to water. I do not trust the losers running the local government to not pull this kind of crap so I am drilling a well in the next few months. I was only going to use it for irrigation but fuck em, I'm going for potable water and will simply cut off the city's water supply to my house.

Do that and you will go to jail.

An Oregon man is sitting in jail right now for diverting rainwater on his property.

8-16-2012

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012...nwater-in-illegal-reservoirs-on-his-property/

Man jailed for collecting rainwater in illegal reservoirs on his property

An Eagle Point, Ore., man has begun serving a 30-day jail sentence after he built three reservoirs on his property to collect rainwater -- an apparent violation of a state law that says all water is publicly owned

Gary Harrington has collected nearly 13 million gallons of water in his reservoirs (one of which is pictured below). That's enough to fill 20 Olympic-size swimming pools. But two weeks ago, he was found guilty of breaking the 1925 Oregon law against private water collection. He was sentenced to 30 days in jail and issued a $1,500 fine.

iGas

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2009
40,000 gallons per month, OMFG!

The solution is that the home owner should sell their house and move to a house that is adjacent to the lake. Apply for water access and right, then buy a jet pump for her sprinkler system.

iGas

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2009
It depends on your local health authority, water right board, and plumbing code. Water access is not that simple, and down right impossible if they deemed the entire area/city water is not safe for human consumption.

That said. It cost around $11-12 per foot to drill in clay, and around $4-5 more per foot if it is through rock (pending the cost in your local area). Jet pump or shallow well pump are relatively cheap that can be had for around $500+. Deep well pumps can be in around $700-800 and much more pending the quality, HP, depth of well. Wiring can be expensive pending the depth of well and gauge of copper. And, don't forget the cost of piping, pressure tank, kill switch, and water treatment system if you needed.

Last edited:

iGas

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2009
Do that and you will go to jail.

An Oregon man is sitting in jail right now for diverting rainwater on his property.

8-16-2012

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012...nwater-in-illegal-reservoirs-on-his-property/

Man jailed for collecting rainwater in illegal reservoirs on his property

An Eagle Point, Ore., man has begun serving a 30-day jail sentence after he built three reservoirs on his property to collect rainwater -- an apparent violation of a state law that says all water is publicly owned

Gary Harrington has collected nearly 13 million gallons of water in his reservoirs (one of which is pictured below). That's enough to fill 20 Olympic-size swimming pools. But two weeks ago, he was found guilty of breaking the 1925 Oregon law against private water collection. He was sentenced to 30 days in jail and issued a $1,500 fine.
You are right regarding the jail part, but one must look at the water access and rights. That A-Hole deserve everything that is coming to him, because he was warned before to not tamper with the water.

People downstream from him also have rights to that water. It is not all about him Dave!

I'm a Canadian and I do not think that Canadian have the right to divert all rivers and water ways that feed USA rivers and lakes.

Last edited:

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Yea they were, but don't expect that dmcowned is going to make an honest post that isn't bordering on blatant lie.

Yep and as more facts come out they'll find it was government regs that made the costs skyrocket.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
That's a 200% increase, not 300%, OP. If it was two times what it cost before, you would say the price doubled or that it increased by 100% and you would be right. This is baby math.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Funny you should blame it on the 1% since the company has a monopoly granted by the government, was able to get the massive rate hike approved by the government, and likely had to do all sorts of things to satisfy government requirements (EPA or other agencies) that made the costs go up. Maybe you need to take another look at where to point the finger ;)

Raghu

Aug 28, 2004
So the first gallon of water costs a lot less than the 10000th gallon - tiered tariff. Is it similar for electricity too in the US?

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Fair share bites back

They are rich - they can soak it up

Authorized by the government of the people, for the people.

McOwens view.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
So the first gallon of water costs a lot less than the 10000th gallon - tiered tariff. Is it similar for electricity too in the US?

Most places; residential is setup on 3 tiers for electricity

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010

That is what utilities should be ran by the local government.

Time to dig a well and get your own water.