South California - what to see and where to go?

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
With 1-2 weeks in southern California, where are the good places to go and see? Haven't made hotel reservations yet and so I'm open to whatever cities you guys recommend.

larciel

Diamond Member
May 23, 2001
Aside from usual place such as Disneyland, Universal Studios, Hollywood, I'd recommend the cable car ride on the eastern side of Palm Spring mountain area. I haven't been there myself but I've heard nothing but praises from those who've been there

Life's fun out here. enjoy your stay :D

Cerpin Taxt

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Around LA: Santa Monica boardwalk and pier. 3rd Street Promenade. Venice beach. Malibu. Hollywood. Getty Museum. Sunset Strip for nightlife - Key Club, Sky Bar, The Roxy, the Whiskey (depends on the acts lined up).

Noobtastic

Banned
Jul 9, 2005
As a resident of San Diego county, I recommend the following places:

*San Diego Wild Animal Park: Cheap, fun, and the pandas never get old. If they still have the polar bear exhibit, I highly recommend it.

*Legoland: Yes, I know it's for kids, but trust me on this one. Between the colossal lego-structures and the awesome lego-driving school, legoland definitely ranks up there for the nostalgic and less lego-enthusiastic adults.

*Universal Studios: If you can get pass the @sshole staff, the attractions reminiscing of classic movies and not-so-classic movies make the experience one of the most memorable of all theme parks in SoCal.

*Beach: Literally, just visit the countless beaches open all across the SoCal coastline. If you're charming enough, you might even get busy with the local hawt chicks/dudes.

*Disneyland: Self-explanatory.

The internet is a very helpful place to find information about the billion excellent sources of entertainment in Southern California.

amol

Lifer
Jul 8, 2001
Man, this thread is making me homesick. Only 4 more days until I'm done with finals so I can get back to SoCal!

Aga, if you're going to be around for New Year's, check out the Rose Parade in Pasadena. It's my hometown fave :). If not, I second all the other suggestions plus other things like Santa Barbara and a drive along PCH.

flxnimprtmscl

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
Obligatory Magic Mountain and Knots Berry Farm. The San Diego Wild Animal Park is pretty cool. Sea World too I'd imagine, though I haven't gone there. Check out the Queen Mary if you're down in Long Beach. The Getty in L.A. is definitely worth checking out if you enjoy art. Take a boat ride out to Catalina Island. Hit the beaches. Etc. You'll find plenty to keep yourself busy.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Amol
Man, this thread is making me homesick. Only 4 more days until I'm done with finals so I can get back to SoCal!

Aga, if you're going to be around for New Year's, check out the Rose Parade in Pasadena. It's my hometown fave :). If not, I second all the other suggestions plus other things like Santa Barbara and a drive along PCH.

It's raining here today and it has been in the mid 60s tops and low 40s at night for about a week now.

If you go to the beach bring a sweater and you'll need a wetsuit if you want to go in the water.

Ktulu

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Noobtastic

*San Diego Wild Animal Park: Cheap, fun, and the pandas never get old. If they still have the polar bear exhibit, I highly recommend it.

This has to be THE WORST experience of my life!. Boring as hell, non-stop walking to trails and hills, 90% of the animals were asleep or hiding. If you want FUN, this is not the place.

anxi80

Lifer
Jul 7, 2002
Originally posted by: Ktulu
This has to be THE WORST experience of my life!. Boring as hell, non-stop walking to trails and hills, 90% of the animals were asleep or hiding. If you want FUN, this is not the place.
you sure you dont mean the san diego zoo because that sounds closer to what you described? talk about a snooze-fest.

*Legoland: Yes, I know it's for kids, but trust me on this one. Between the colossal lego-structures and the awesome lego-driving school, legoland definitely ranks up there for the nostalgic and less lego-enthusiastic adults.
do they still charge disneyland prices for what is probably a quarter of the size of it? i worked there for a few years and when a customer complained that this is "a rich mans park" i couldnt help but agree (in my mind of course; i needed the money then!)