Soup Kitchen whom Paul Ryan staged fake photo op without permission is hurting

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Did your dear leader lie when he spent two weeks talking about a video causing Benghazi?

It doesn't help your case any by oversimplifying what was a diplomatically complex and mecurial situation to make an agenda driven point.

edit - On topic, photo ops are indeed common practice. Deceptive photo ops? Well, I guess it works for the uninformed and the sympathetic. But really, insidiously pandering for votes from a class of folks whom he hopes to victimize should he win the election is sleaze and spitball politics at its finest.

Last edited:

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
In other words if he cared more about the poor rather than his own political bias he wouldn't be seeing a backlash reaction to his over-reaction at Ryan's visit.

Yeh- we don't like what you said about our boy, so we'll take it out on people who are completely innocent, those served by the soup kitchen!

Next time, stfu or we'll spank 'em a little harder.

Hostages. There's nothing Righties love more than taking & torturing hostages, and nothing their base loves more than lame justifications for it.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
None of the above. It's true that Ryan might have actually washed some *dirty* dishes in the few minutes he was there, but none of us know for sure.

Yes we do know, the lady who was running the place and who gave her permission for the photo op said that they left some dirty dishes when Ryan's campaign called and said they were going to be late.

He didn't lie about your boy- he just put it in a light you'd rather not shine on poor picked on Mr Ryan.

He did lie, he's been retracting them since he came out with the lies. He originally said that Ryan "ramrodded" and "barged" his way in when we know that the lady running the place was contacted in advance and gave her permission. She even kept the place open when they said they were going to be late.

Which was promptly followed by reduced financial support, beating the hostage, the people served by the soup kitchen.

We don't know that for sure since it's only Antal saying it without him or anyone at the charity backing it up. It was obvious that he did not handle the situtation properly

Compassionate Conservatism-ain't it swell?

It was the left then Antal who created such a big stink about it and made it in the news. The rabid left was going after Ryan for cleaning some pans and pushed this into the mainstream news. If they had not done that it would have been a just another normal political photo op. You can't deny that. It's a fact!

Thank you, Moonbeam. Ryan was attempting to promulgate a lie by showing up at the soup kitchen in the first place.

It was a planned, staged photo op. Politicians on the campaign trail do it all the time.

Last edited:

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Yeh- we don't like what you said about our boy, so we'll take it out on people who are completely innocent, those served by the soup kitchen!

You meant to say:

Yeh- we don't like your boy cleaning pots and pans at a soup kitchen, so we'll take it out on people who are completely innocent, those served by the soup kitchen

Right?

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
How many stupid non-issues can we get lately?

Libya "terrorism" or "???"

Binders full of women

"not optimal"

and now Soupgate

Partisan hackery makes me want to barf. Day after day we get the same acolytes of each side relentlessly defending their side and attacking the other for usually idiotic reasons (if they have a real reason at all). To make it even worse, it's quite often hypocritical in nature, as examples of their side doing whatever <insert dumb thing here> are excused away or ignored.

Rage! Rage! Manufacture an even greater distance between each of us! Real discourse and bipartisan attempts to truly help our country? IMPOSSIBLE!

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
So I'm supposed to think that the guy who works full time at the soup kitchen is the bad guy as opposed to the guy who pretends to be helping at the soup kitchen?

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
None of the above. It's true that Ryan might have actually washed some *dirty* dishes in the few minutes he was there, but none of us know for sure.
Ryan was attempting to promulgate a lie by showing up at the soup kitchen in the first place.

See! I'm a volunteer! I care!

Yeh, about 5 minutes worth... when the cameras quit clicking, he left.

He's a dick.

This is what I don't get. Do these people actually think we are falling for these ruses? Does anyone here really think Ryan does this type of thing on a regular basis, or if he really was "doing" anything at all beside posing for a few minutes? Or am I just very cynical?

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
How many stupid non-issues can we get lately?

Libya "terrorism" or "???"

Binders full of women

"not optimal"

and now Soupgate

Partisan hackery makes me want to barf. Day after day we get the same acolytes of each side relentlessly defending their side and attacking the other for usually idiotic reasons (if they have a real reason at all). To make it even worse, it's quite often hypocritical in nature, as examples of their side doing whatever <insert dumb thing here> are excused away or ignored.

Rage! Rage! Manufacture an even greater distance between each of us! Real discourse and bipartisan attempts to truly help our country? IMPOSSIBLE!

I think the real issue here is not that this is a partisan attack, b/c really both sides are guilty of this type of behavior. I think the real issue is that politicians think we are DUMB enough to fall for these photo ops. If they think we are dumb enough to fall for photo ops like these, what else do they think we are dumb enough to fall for? Stunts like these (the framing of an obvious lie) gives us reason to doubt the truthfulness of everything they say and do.

It seems to me that Romney is the first presidential candidate that I have ever seen in my 38 years that really stands for absolutely nothing. He can change stances very easily, without batting an eye, and then defend or deny the change without blushing. Despite this, people still are going to vote for him.

Democrats really should not pat themselves on the back just b/c their current candidate has more integrity than the repubs candidate. My guess is that we are about to see a whole new crop of this type of candidate that has no integrity, and they will get voted in.

Yes, I know photo ops have been going on for centuries, but it seems we are going down a completely different path with these particular republican candidates. Rather, we are just pushing along down the same path, merely increasing the level of deception.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
It doesn't help your case any by oversimplifying what was a diplomatically complex and mecurial situation to make an agenda driven point.
He clearly wasn't telling the truth. He either didn't know he wasn't telling the truth (incompetent) or he knew he wasn't telling the truth (liar).

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011

Why do you do this to yourself repeatedly. On the same page as your post I posted this:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=34123394&postcount=89

He didn't lie about your boy- he just put it in a light you'd rather not shine on poor picked on Mr Ryan.

He straight up lied. He claimed something which is not true while knowing his claim was not true...which makes it a lie.

I realize you enjoy being wrong and posting on this forum helps you get that enjoyment on a routine basis, but it is not healthy.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Why do you do this to yourself repeatedly. On the same page as your post I posted this:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=34123394&postcount=89

He straight up lied. He claimed something which is not true while knowing his claim was not true...which makes it a lie.

I realize you enjoy being wrong and posting on this forum helps you get that enjoyment on a routine basis, but it is not healthy.

Heh. The distinction is truly irrelevant. Ryan didn't actually do enough "volunteer work" to matter in the slightest, only a few minutes worth, while attempting to create an entirely different impression.

Ryan is a national figure, running for vice president, while Antal isn't. Attempting to divert attention to Antal is dishonest in a way that only Righties can love.

Your boy is lying by intention, by creating false impressions, while Antal was merely mistaken about a detail relevant to Ryan's lie. Whose actions matter more- Antal's, or Ryan's?

It's not like Antal is trying to get your vote, at all...

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
So I'm supposed to think that the guy who works full time at the soup kitchen is the bad guy as opposed to the guy who pretends to be helping at the soup kitchen?

You are supposed to think the guy who lied is a liar. That would be the soup kitchen guy. If you decide that being a liar is not bad, that is your choice. If you decide that being a liar is bad, that is also your choice.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Heh. The distinction is truly irrelevant. Ryan didn't actually do enough "volunteer work" to matter in the slightest, only a few minutes worth, while attempting to create an entirely different impression.

Ryan is a national figure, running for vice president, while Antal isn't. Attempting to divert attention to Antal is dishonest in a way that only Righties can love.

Your boy is lying by intention, by creating false impressions, while Antal was merely mistaken about a detail relevant to Ryan's lie. Whose actions matter more- Antal's, or Ryan's?

Wow, that is a long winded way of saying you find it perfectly acceptable to lie about things provided the lies are aimed at a Republican. Should have saved yourself a lot of time and just said "I am a dem shill so I do not care about the truth here". You would have also earned kudos for honesty. Do you also think that every time a politician holds a baby that means every one is supposed to think they babysit on the side? Durrrr....

I also find it laughable that you believe anyone thinks Ryan works at a soup kitchen on a regular basis. If Ann Romney said she did, I would probably believe her as she appears to be that type of a person (especially after he life altering illness).

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008

You and your boy Antal lied and you know it. The only dishonest lie in this whole incident is Antal and you folks on the left that made a big deal about it. Now you get slapped because the Romney/Ryan campaign was shown to have asked permission and your story changes. Fucking pathetic.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Bullshit, Ryan had no interest in helping homeless just taking a picture, that's exploitation. Fuck Ryan for doing it and fuck you for making excuses for it.

Oh the shock ryan fake sympathy is only matched by what I am reading in this forum.

Demons calling repulsives opertunist . what a laugh and the false sense of caring expressed here is laughable. This is nothing more than demons tring to make ryans false concern look dirty lol. Demons dirty creatures that spawn from scum

jhbball

Platinum Member
Mar 20, 2002
Oh the shock ryan fake sympathy is only matched by what I am reading in this forum.

Demons calling repulsives opertunist . what a laugh and the false sense of caring expressed here is laughable. This is nothing more than demons tring to make ryans false concern look dirty lol. Demons dirty creatures that spawn from scum

read a book you clown.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
dc3d892976ab46e0b89638c4367fd38c.jpg

??? What does a clown reading something have to do with the topic?

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006

edit - On topic, photo ops are indeed common practice. Deceptive photo ops? Well, I guess it works for the uninformed and the sympathetic. But really, insidiously pandering for votes from a class of folks whom he hopes to victimize should he win the election is sleaze and spitball politics at its finest.

OH god and we have the messiah serving the poor . LOL at the rage in this topic and the poor souls that see fake in Ryan but not the messiah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvXcVXcoAmI