Sounds like something loose inside computer

wpshooter

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2004
I have a friend who has one of those all-in-one computers (it is HP IQ-507) and when
he picks up the computer and gently rocks it from side to side you can hear something loose moving
around inside the monitor/case.

Is there anything inside one of those type of computers that should make a noise when
moving the computer around like that ?

I am thinking that maybe something to do you the cooling routing to the CPU has come
loose, because when the computer is run an extended period of time the CPU fan sounds
like it is constantly running on full speed.

No, we have not attempted to disassemble it, YET, thought we would ask first.

Thanks.

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
It's more than likely just a broken plastic clip rolling around inside. Most of those HP AIO units have many plastic clips holding the back on and if it breaks it just falls inside the unit. Since it's plastic it won't hurt anything but if you wanted to take off the back cover to check, it wouldn't hurt. ;)

wpshooter

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2004
Are you referring to the little plastic clips/retainers around the edge of the backing ? If so, I don't think this is one of those, this sounds like something fairly good sized. I can feel it "banging" around when I move the computer back and forth.

Thanks.

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
Has the unit ever been taken apart before, perhaps for an upgrade or repair?

wpshooter

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2004
Yes, I was just about to mention that. It does look like this thing has been worked on before because I can see some signs of cracking in the plastic near the corners. I am sort of hesitate to attempt to take this thing apart (especially since it is not mine) and I have never opened one of these up before - have worked on numerous traditional case computers but not one of these - personally I would not have one of these, don't really see why anyone would want one. I have looked at some videos related to these AIO but this one does not look like it would be exactly as friendly as the ones in the videos that I watched. Thanks.

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
I just watched the video and it's not a super easy one, but it's definitely not too bad to take apart. However, that being said, since it's not your PC i'd be a little more apprehensive about doing that.

wpshooter

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2004
Yes, that is what I used. But boy was this a challenge. Ever who designed this thing needs their head examined, big time.

Like to never have gotten the back cover off of this thing. I had fairly good tork screw drivers and I never could get the 4 screws that hold the folding leg support off. So removed the hard drive thru the partial opening of the back cover.

The rattling was the hard drive. It had been glued into the case and the glue had dried and the drive was hanging loose on the cables and just move freely about inside the case.

I am just wondering if this thing is going to even boot IF I can manage to get it back together.

I would never buy one of these things and I don't think I would take one even if they offered it to me for free. Give me a good old fashion METAL (not plastic) tower case.

Thanks.

P.S. - figured out that apparently the drive that was "glued" in the case was not the original factory hard drive. The original that came in this machine was a regular 3 1/2" SATA drive and what I found in the machine was a small laptop sized SATA drive. It would have been nice if they had put into the cage with an adapter instead of gluing the thing to the bottom of the case.

Last edited: