sound through hdmi on 3870...

cubeless

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2001
wtf??? i installed all the drivers, changed the audio setting to atihdmi and get no sound... i get no sound out of the original onboard sound either...

it's an ecs v7050 mobo... i tried disabling the onboard sound in bios...

anyone have the scoop for real on how this is supposed to work?

if i hook up the pc via hdmo should all sound for pc come through? or just movie sound?

can i have the onboard sound enabled and switch back an forth in the audio control panel? or do i need to kill the onboard sound?

there's lots of useless crap when u google on this... no one seems to have a straight forward answer...

Spicedaddy

Platinum Member
Apr 18, 2002
I think onboard sound needs to be enabled (and working), and the ATI HDMI has to be selected as the default output device.

It's basically just a Digital Output, like the optical output on a sound card. If there's no sound card or onboard sound, then it would only work for passthrough of Dolby Digital or DTS in movies.

cubeless

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2001
tried that... when i uninstall the ati sound driver i get sound through the onboard... when i install the ati sound driver i get no sound through any port... the option to choose the idt onboard or the ati is there, but neither works... gonna guess it's some incompatibility thing in their drivers...

$hit...

idiotekniQues

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2007
it works on my rig. i installed the microsoft high audio or something or other drivers from teh gigabyte website. the ati 8.5 cats and if i select the ati hdmi out it goes right to my panasonic plasma no probs.

when im done i just go back and pick my xfi in the control panel sound settings.

when you have it working, ALL sound goes to your tv or wherever you are sending that hdmi signal, that includes windows sound settings, music or whatever you play - and none comes out your pc speakers

its one of the reasons i switched from nvidia to ati. dont give up yet.

cubeless

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2001
hmmm... maybe i need to get rid of the 'other' high def driver that's installed, kb888111 or something... when i went to uninstall it a message came up that all of the programs on the pc used that driver, so i didn't kill it...

i guess i'll play some more tonight...