Sound OK in DOS but only get left channel in Windows

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I just rebuilt my old box and although I hear both channels when I use the soundcard's DOS setup program, when I go into Windows I only get the left channel. Balance is set to middle and I've tried everything I can think of. I have the card connected to my stereo and only hear the left channel. Also, when I record from the receiver via line-in, I only get the left channel. A year ago when it was my only system I didn't have this problem. I reformatted the HD and installed Win95 from scratch last week. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Windows 95 OSR2
Logitech Soundman Wave ISA soundcard

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
If I run the card's software and DOS and Windows installation program from diskettes at a DOS prompt, it picks parameters (IRQs, DMA and port settings) that work and test OK. But once I exit the program if I run the setup program the combination of IRQ and DMA for the card fails its test. I removed every other card from the computer other than the video card. Thanks for any help.

Dan

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Finally evidently found a solution, and it was in a readme that came with the last Win95 driver update from Logitech. I followed the driver update instructions to the letter. Now, why the original driver didn't work I can't fathom. I had to remove all sound devices in Control Panel, edit all 4 system INI files (autoexec. config. win.ini, system.ini) and remove all configuration settings and replace with lines like DEVICE=, reboot, and install the driver in Control Panel. This gave me back my right channel. I think it had something with forcing Windows 95 itself to determine the resources. When the Soundman Wave installation routine (DOS) made the settings it evidently didn't know what Windows was doing.