Sound card drivers (Solved)

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
So I have a Sound Blaster X-Fi card.

I just reinstalled Windows 10 and my nVidia GPU.

Now I have 3 - High Definition Audio Devices entries listed under Device Manager which I'm assuming is my 3 monitors.

I have have 2 other entries, 1 for nVidia High Definition Audio and 1 for nVidia Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM).

Can I disable all 5 and then install my Sound Blaster drivers?

Thanks!

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
You probably don't need to disable any of them, they're going to be for misc internal components of your motherboard and video card. They won't interfere with the operation of your audio card.

Reactions: paperfist

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
You probably don't need to disable any of them, they're going to be for misc internal components of your motherboard and video card. They won't interfere with the operation of your audio card.

Alright thanks!

I just hate mucking up a new system with unneeded drivers or having to install some to replace others.

It was a little frustrating before as this build just replaces the old HD and GPU and there was always 5-6 audio devices to choose from and it never felt like I had the right ones. Especially when you add in the auto frustration of using Creative drivers.

vailr

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
When using a sound card, it's usually best to disable (in bios setup) the on-board audio.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
It is disabled. I think the other ones popping up are just because I have my monitors hooked up with HDMI. Not sure why there's 2 for the GPU.

There are drivers for the GPU im assuming because your GPU has a HDMI connection and HDMI outputs audio signal as well as video.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
There are drivers for the GPU im assuming because your GPU has a HDMI connection and HDMI outputs audio signal as well as video.

Thanks that's a great point that I over looked.

I ended up disabling all sound and then installing the Creative drivers. It sounds way better and alive compared to my previous install.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
It is disabled. I think the other ones popping up are just because I have my monitors hooked up with HDMI. Not sure why there's 2 for the GPU.

Wouldn't matter whether you used a DVI port on the video card or HDMI. The system is going to reflect HDMI sound for that video card. You might as well install the drivers, because Windows will install its generics anyway. But you can certainly disable them in windows.